So how many kilo of Leica, do you take into the Alps?

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

spent two weeks in Patagonia with two Leica S bodies, 24mm, 30-90 zoom, 100mm and 120 and 180..

Used a Gura gear backpack and it went well. 

Very heavy at times but one suffers for one's art....

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

vor 33 Minuten schrieb otto.f:

I doubt whether Paulus stood there

It was hot and very dusty indeed, so I was " glad " with the two camera's yes. It saved time also. But the difference is 0,6 kilo. Considering we lost 0,5 kilo of water every hour the weight was relative. On the other hand, the higher and longer one walks, the heavier the bag becomes. Considering we walked for 8-10 hours a day. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MarkP said:

Hi Otto,

I'm off there next year. Which Leica lenses for the Ms and SL got the most use?

Regards,
Mark

Sorry, this is impossible to calculate. I can say though that the 50 Elmar-M is a great lens for landscape and can be used for stitching panorama's. This is sometimes better than one shot with a 28 for instance. Also, given the scale, proportions and distances in the Andes, a shot with a 50 often looks like a shot with a 28 in other circumstances, in Europe for instance. I would definitely take a 50. 

We played a lot with the 280 too, I wouldn't have liked to miss that. There's interesting wildlife, woodpeckers for instance, although these birds have a very very  short flight distance, you can come as close to 1m and a 50mm would even suffice. That wouldn't be possible with the condors and the caracara's  though.

Edited by otto.f

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

spent two weeks in Patagonia

This was made with the SL and the Voigtlander 15mm iii

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 9

It depends to a certain degree on what kind of mountain you‘re climbing. How high is it, how much time will it take and how difficult is it to climb.

Just two examples: A few years ago I climbed Mount Fuji in Japan. The mountain (indeed it’s a volcano) is about 3.700 m high, but the paths are mostly well maintained and you don’t have to be a real mountaineer. But 3.700 m is quite a number, and above 2.000 - 2.500 m you will feel the thin air in your head and in your body.

At that time I owned a small Olympus OMD EM 10 Mark II. I took this camera with the 12-40mm Pro Zoom (24 - 80mm on FF) with me. That was okay-ish.

A few months later I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, too. The volcano is about 6.000 m high and the tour lasted for five days while the hike up to Mount Fuji took me one and a half day. The lack of oxygen and the cold up on Mount Kilimanjaro make it a real tough business to reach the summit. 

Again I had the Olympus camera with the 12-40 with me. But on the summit I didn’t used it. I was so worn out that all I managed was to pull out my iPhone and took some shots with it.

In the end it depends on the profile of the climb/ hike, your personal fitness and your photographic ambitions. My recommendation would be, go as lightly as possible. 

• Like 1

There is nothing you can' t do with one camera and a 35mm lens. Even selfies 😁

When climbing a mountain or on a long hike the lighter you go the better it is. You'll be able to replace the weight of the camera gear you left at home with things that might make a difference when the unexpected happens.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If I were lucky enough to be on this walk, I'd likely favor one camera, one lens on it, and a second in a pouch in your backpack.  More importantly, enjoy every moment, connect with the subject emotionally, and you'll bring back images that will resonate with you for years to come.

• Like 2

If you have one of the modern phones with wide and tele lenses, that may just do the trick. The panoramas from my iPhone X are really good. Else - if you have to, for the pleasure of the process or increased quality, the 21/50 is good. If you like shallow DOF photographs up there at times, bring an ND filter along. Not much shadow on sunny days. Backpack would be my choice to have arms free. Evening cross-body or shoulder strap would annoy me over time while walking. Weather sometimes changes quickly. Ensure proper protection against rain.

• Like 1

A backpack is a lot easier . I always take two cameras, past disasters with a Nikon F3 locking up on top of a Scottish mountain as the most unforgettable scenes appeared and the same thing happening with a X Pan in which the batteries died due to the sudden change in weather  and my spare batts were for the Leica R9. 

I now take a M10 with small slower Leica lenses, 28mm f2.8 or 35mm f2 v4, 50mm f2.8 and 90mm f4. My 2nd camera is either a M262 or the X Pan with correct spare batteries !

Forum member Chris Tribble I think posted a useful guide to attaching his camera to the shoulder strap of his backpack using a device made by Peak Design. This enables the camera to be unclipped when required, it is attached using a tripod mount to the camera's baseplate which locks into the holder that is clamped to your shoulder strap. This solves the problem of a camera around your neck etc when walking / climbing, works well for me.

• Like 1

The highest peak I have hiked to date is 2600m along the Tiger Leaping Gorge Trail but I think my other experiences with long hikes can also be helpful. 

I always choose a camera system that was light and quickly accessible. So I used a wait pouch for my 1 camera, 2 small lenses and a super tiny table tripod. Everything else in the backpack. Getting the camera was so easy and fast that there was no reason not to use it. My 2 lenses of choice for tiny, light and sharp: M rokkor 40/2 and CV 21/4. My 1 lens cheat choice would be the Konica 21-35 Dual M Hexanon (2 focal lengths, not zoom). 

The waist pouch also allows for better weight distribution. 

I brought an M9 with three lenses (Zeiss Biogon 21 and 35, and Summarit 75) with me on Mount Fuji, although I usually still carry a DSLR when I go hiking/climbing mountains (due to my interest in wildlife photography, where Leica M is not necessarily best suited). In all cases, I find that the most important thing is the way one carries the camera. For me, waist/harness systems work the best, since this way (1) the weight of the camera lies on my hips and on not my back and (2) the camera is always very easy to access. I find shoulder bags OK only for very light things or for shorter hikes. The bag that I like the best for this is the Think Tank Change Up, which has a harness that is very stable, does not interfere with the backpack straps, and a waist that can also hold a water bottle.

This solution works for me and is not universal; each person has to determine the way to carry photo equipment that works the best for them; it is even much more important in the mountains that in other places. :) 

On the Fuji climb, I could only have a messenger back with me (Ona Prince Street), and that was quite painful in comparison to the waist/harness system. Sunset and sunrise views were such that no picture can give them justice...

PS: edit: sorry, I have some issues with the images (I tried to scale them and it failed; although I realize I only have a dusty version of #2); will try to fix tonight.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 6

At my age (70) for my long excursions in the Alps I still prefer the old Leica x1, small and light. If the excursion is not too long  I use the M10 with one lens, which lens depends on the mood and if any special project. Sometimes the M7 which is not so heavy as the M10...

• Like 1

Robbert I saw, during one of my trips there an Italian man of maybe 70 or eight, with his grandchild walking next to him and doing it in half the time we did. A lot of respect I got for the stead old walkers over there!

On 8/14/2019 at 11:19 AM, otto.f said:

Yes but I agree that taking an M240 and an M10 is redundant. Is it that time-consuming to change lenses on your M10?

And for the rest of it: it’s a mindset, assuming you’re not going with a tent and ‘kitchen’

Carrying the M240 would be redundant.

All up until the M10 craps out or gets dropped, that is. 

On my last hut tour in August 2019 at the Karwendel Alps I only met mountain hikers or climbers photographing with their smartphones.
Not a single camera was seen, whether digital or analog.
Lightest luggage is announced for safe and somewhat carefree enjoyment of demanding hikes.
My Leica-M with only one lens, but spare batteries and charger suddenly weighed twice as hard as before...

• 1 month later...

Hearing al your advices, I went into the Alps, this time not so high for some trips. The Osprey Statos 36 proved to be a good companion packing my ( rain-snow ) gear, water, food, underway to the hut for three days in the mountains, just under 9 kilo.

When the trails go tricky, I just put my M10 with 50mm in the backpack. On most occasions during the walk I was able to put it around my neck with the strap over one shoulder like a sash, with the top of the backpack's bands clicked over it. I could still make pictures , but the strap did not dangle, and was hanging safely. 

Just taking one lens proved to be a challenge but a nice one. The weather was great an visibility was super + 80km!!. In the link some shots.

But... next time I'll take the M10 and M240 camera's and a 50 + 21mm with me. I can handle the kilo's with this marvelous Osprey very well. Sometimes I had the feeling I forgot the backpack and had to feel if it was still hanging there!

Link: Rotwand top and surroundings: Exceptionally hot, dusty and very windy the third day:

https://pauljoostenfotograaf.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Rotwand-15-10-2019/

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

It depends really what is the intention of the trip/hike?

Is this an extrem hike where you will reach your personal limits? -> I would bring something really small, maybe a g1xIII or a 1 inch sensor camera.

Is this just a "normal" hike - where you have to watch weight but do not have to go to the extreme weight saving? you could bring some more weight.

And the other question is: Which gear you enjoy using? I have much more fun using good gear tha using a cellphone, even for small resolution in the internet.

• Like 1

I and my wife were Jungfrau a month ago. While we only did light hiking (going down on easy trail), I found the kept pictures taken by the three cameras are thus:

Leica V-lux 114 > CL  + 11-23mm > CL + 18-56 > M240 + (35mm, 50mm, 90mm).

I had a tripod with me on the first day, but then left it in the hotel afterwards. It's not about the weight, I just didn't want to stop to set-up the tripod. I use faster ISO.

When we wanted selfie, we asked the people nearby. If it's picturesque site, it's always possible.