Leica M4-P question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quick question re the M4p (and subsequent M bodies) how much, if at all, are they weather sealed? I.e were they designed to be weather sealed in anyway? I’m assuming not though the build quality of my M4p is fantastic so I’d imagine light spots of rain wouldn’t be too much of an issue or am I wrong with that assumption? 

Cheers,

Dan

They are not "weather sealed",

but usable in all weather as my experiences of decades use in rain/snow/wet seaside/etc.

When not in use , I hide the gear in some kind of pouch or bag, and take out only for the snap.

Then if there are raindrops on the M + lens, wipe/swap it quickly before putting in the protection bag.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

They are not "weather sealed",

but usable in all weather as my experiences of decades use in rain/snow/wet seaside/etc.

When not in use , I hide the gear in some kind of pouch or bag, and take out only for the snap.

Then if there are raindrops on the M + lens, wipe/swap it quickly before putting in the protection bag.

Cool, thanks for the response, I don’t intend to use it in adverse conditions but you know how it is ! Just wanted to get some advice from longer users on the subject 🙂 

Dan 

It has opening for shutter release cable. I'm the one who actually knows how this mechanism works. :)

If you want to play tough cookie and walk with any Leica M under the rain - get this opening covered with softie. 

If we will still have service for film M after five years it shouldn't be a problem. Using M without periodical CLA is far more problem than under rain, IMO.

6 hours ago, earleygallery said:

The problem with using any camera in driving rain isn't weather sealing, it's raindrops on the front of the lens!

Very true, but weather sealing has become a significant selling point of late. Almost as though you are a second class citizen if your camera doesn't have it. 😁

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny you should ask about an M4-P specifically.

The shot below as made with an M4-P. As you can see, the setting is a play fountain. And about 10 seconds after taking this picture, I and my M4-P and 28 Elmarit got fire-hosed by one of the water jets. ;)

Water drops and condensation in the finder, wet other places inside (except the film, fortunately). Fog in the lens.

Went home, and put the body and lens (separately) in a low oven (100F/38C) for about 2 hours - water drops and fog evaporated. Dry-fired it (hah!) for about half an hour while watching TV, just to make sure the lubrication was all back where it should be. Worked fine until I sold it 5 years later to get my first M8.

The thing about weather-sealing is that electronics (digital processors, autofocus motors, meters, batteries) really really really don't like moisture. Silk, brass, rubber and well-lubed steel are just not anywhere near as sensitive - provided the moisture is removed ASAP to prevent mildew or rusting.

Although back in the 70's, a Nikon F ad told the story of a Vietnam photographer who jumped into a ditch to avoid "incoming" - and flooded his camera. Carried it out of the war zone in a bucket of water (to prevent air getting in), did about what I did (warm oven to dry it, working the shutter for a couple of hours) and also went back to shooting.

M4-P and other analog warhorses simply have no electronics (unless a winder is attached) for the wet to short out.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb adan:

M4-P and other analog warhorses simply have no electronics (unless a winder is attached) for the wet to short out.

I remember 1990 I was in northern Borneo (Sandakan area) on a rain forest tour in summer, hot and extremely humid, that the electronics of several (analog) cameras failed, my M4-P however was not impressed by the climatic conditions...

• Like 1

Talking about rainforest, hot and humid, this reminds me of our first time in Hawaii, Kauai you know where it rains some "records"

By then we packed our first fully electronic marvels Leica R5 (yes it was in those years of 90's) to discover that this was not so good idea.

While taking some pictures in rainforest our two R5 became suddenly inoperate, and never came to life since we return to Paris and traded them for two Leica R6

which we still use.

Happily, we had also two M5 which had done well their jobs even in rain, storm or rainforest.

13 hours ago, earleygallery said:

The problem with using any camera in driving rain isn't weather sealing, it's raindrops on the front of the lens!

Not really, if here is no 70 knots wind with it.

I use protective filter and hood, plus holding camera down. Also having micro-fiber cloth in the bag helps. 

It's condensation inside that puts a halt to things, not rain itself. The temptation is to cover the camera with a hand to keep rain off, this fogs things up and you need to wait often a few hours before it clears again. But I've used Leica M2's and M4-P's in sometimes torrential rain, alongside the indestructible Nikon F series, and they work perfectly. But have a loose airy camera bag to drop them in, have an absorbent cloth to wipe them with from time to time, don't cover them with your hand, and don't keep putting them under a coat.