Any way to fix the lens cap?

A couple of options:

1) Just don’t use the cap.  Seriously, this is a perfectly workable solution if you leave the lens hood on.  You’ll need to clean the front element every now and then, but that’s hardly difficult.

2) If you really stress over cleaning the lens, add a UV filter and leave off the lens cap.  Every now and then you’ll run into a subject where reflections/halos are an issue with the filter, but those are rare and you can just take off the filter.  For example, I wouldn’t include a lit crystal chandelier in my image if I had a UV filter on the lens.  99.9% of the time, though, a UV filter does no harm.

3) You could try adding a little flocking paper or thicker felt, but It might not be super easy to get the original felt out first.  Depends on the glue job.  Haven’t tried this with the Q2, but I’ve done it on a few telescope dew shields.  Harder than it looks to get a “clean” result.

4) I actually tightened mine up enough just by bending it.  Just put it on a counter top and leaned on it a bit.  Worked great, but you’d be running the risk of destroying the cap. I was happy to take that risk since the cap was otherwise useless and already dinged  up from falling on rocks and concrete.  If yours is already dinged up, too, this might be worth a shot.  Mine is now snug, and it is not noticeably deformed.

Edited by Jared
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Just ask Leica for a replacement cap. It is that easy. Mine did not have any problem. 

Warranty exists. Just use it. And stop complaining. 

I'm not complaining, I'm looking for a solution to a problem.  It didn't seem like a warranty issue but a design issue.  Given the replies on this thread, if yours fits properly, it's one of the very few that does.

Edited by ralphh
  • Like 1

You only get complaining people on the forum. Leica are more than happy to exchange you defective lens cap. Try this way first. 

It is just Leica Q launch once again. 4 years ago some early Q were plagued with the same cap problem. Leica tighten everything and loosed cap problem was gone. 

Q2 has a larger aperture ring. Lens cap should have been modified. Sadly some of you (not the majority) are experiencing this loosed cap issue again.

Just exchange the lens cap and it will be solved. 

Edited by nicci78

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, nicci78 said:

Just ask Leica for a replacement cap. It is that easy. Mine did not have any problem. 

Warranty exists. Just use it. And stop complaining. 

Well I wasn't complaining, but now I am.  I emailed Leica support UK a full week ago and they've not even bothered to reply to my email.  Apparently Leica care so little for their customer support they can't even be bothered to set up an automated response saying they've received your email but due to not being very interested it'll be x weeks before it's answered.

Pretty pathetic. 

Edited by ralphh

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

Optech mini is the best solution. The lens cap lives in the Q box!

Albert

Yeah I think that's the way I'm going to go.  Still disgusted that a company I spent $5000 with doesn't even have the decency to answer emails from it's customers.

11 minutes ago, ralphh said:

Yeah I think that's the way I'm going to go.  Still disgusted that a company I spent $5000 with doesn't even have the decency to answer emails from it's customers.

It is amazing and I have inquired but never got a straight answer. Suspect cap is decorative only...

Optech is perfectly fine... Buy a spare as with time it could fall off.

Happened to my wife..

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1