Any way to fix the lens cap?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Q2 lens cap is the most useless thing in the history of creation.  It falls off on its own at the slightest excuse.  After a month of ownership my Q2 is mint except the lens cap which is chipped and scratched from repeatedly falling on the ground while the camera is on it's strap over my shoulder. The only good thing I can say about it is that being basically like a little biscuit tin lid, it makes quite a noise when it falls on the ground so I’ve not yet lost it.

I owned a 50mm summarit which has basically the same push-fit design of cap except it was a perfect snug fit and never fell off.  I have no idea why the Q2 one is so poor.

I'd like to replace the felt tape stuff around the inside with something a little thicker to give it a little more grip.  Has anyone else done so with good results? If so could you share what you used?

Guess more than a few of you would agree that the original metal lens cap is maybe not the best part of this otherwise great little camera. Lost it so many times, asked for and received replacement, lost it again...tried to pimp it with self-adhesive tape....lost it...Cheap 49mm clip-in caps do not go with the rectangle hood... so here is my solution from KURVD...lightweight, fits perfectly and sold in minimum as pair so I am covered for loosing the first one;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The OP/Tech Hood Hat Mini works well with the Q2, covers most of lens with lens hood attached and is pretty easy to get on and off.  My Leica lens cap is now stored in the box and will make its return only if and when I sell the camera. It is pretty much useless for its intended task.

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ditto, OP/Tech Hood Hat Mini works great
  • Like 7

The lens cap on my Q2 was unacceptably loose as well. Contacted my Leica dealer who in turn escalated the issue to the NJ headquarters. Received a snug fitting lens cap and consider the matter closed. A minor irritant in the grand scheme of things but an irritant nonetheless.

FWIW- I also use the Kurvd and concur its a good solution. Very easy to stuff in ones pocket when out in the field. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone’s use model is unique. I long ago stopped using the lens cap mostly due to the reasons listed above, but also because in my view it’s unnecessary. The Op-Tech cover works nicely and I have one although I often don’t use it either. I put a UV filter on the lens and keep the camera in a well padded Oberwerth bag when not shooting. The hood does a superb job of protecting the front element. It’s worked for me for almost 4 years now. 

• Thanks 1

I like using a cap or an equivalent (e.g., the OP/Tech mini hat) not so much for protection as just a way to keep down the dust and crud when stored or transported in a bag.  The Q2 cap can't even handle that job well enough.  

IMO, the Leica cap was designed with function taking a back seat to a more "luxurious" feel. The latter wears-off the more the cap drops-off.

• Like 1