Looking for a 'leightweight' 15mm lens for SL, at least 1:2,8

saxo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've a Sigma ART 14mm with Canon mount, for landscape, architecture and astrophotography. This is a good lens, but including the adapter around 1,3kg heavy. Too heavy to take with you in a backpack all day, because a superwide lens is normaly not my only one to carry and the other SL zoom-lenses are heavy too. So I'm looking for a 'leightweight' 15 mm lens in addition.

I found four which could do the job:

1) Irix 1:2,4 15mm
2) Samyang 1:2,8 14mm
3) Zeiss ZM 1:2,8 15mm
4) Rokino 1:2,8 14 mm

As far as I've read, the Samyang has poor image quality, esp. wide open. The Irix got better reviews, but as always with reviews, there is a (non-published) conflict of interests. And the Irix got a lens profile for lightroom! Personally I would prefere the Zeiss because I could use it with the M as well, but this is an old lens, and I'm unsure if it is usuable for architecture. The Rokino was mentioned as very good in one test, but no other recommended it.

It is impossible for me to test all the lenses by my own, therefore I would be grateful if anyone could give some advice from personal experience.

Thanks!

Martin

Do you use a Leica SL or a M?

There might be differences in IQ between the two models.

Good news, that distortion is controlled. Diglloyd showed a stronger distortion, up to 4%, but maybe he is wrong. Distortion is only a problem with architecture, can be corrected, but then you decrease IQ.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 17 Stunden schrieb jrp:

Life is full of trade-offs.  In this case, max aperture v weight v performance (distortion / ca).  In my case, either a Voigtlander 10/12/15mm III or the SL 16-35mm would do the job.

yeap, life is a compromise...

the voigtländer lenses are too slow, the sl 16-35 is an alternative, as long as it replaces other lenses as welll. Usually I use the m 35 lux. I doubt the zoom will beat the fast lux in terms of IQ at corresponding aperture. 

I may give the zeiss zm a  chance. Together with my sem 21 and lux 35 it seems a very good combo, at about the same weight and faster aperture.

13 minutes ago, saxo said:

yeap, life is a compromise...

the voigtländer lenses are too slow, the sl 16-35 is an alternative, as long as it replaces other lenses as welll. Usually I use the m 35 lux. I doubt the zoom will beat the fast lux in terms of IQ at corresponding aperture. 

I may give the zeiss zm a  chance. Together with my sem 21 and lux 35 it seems a very good combo, at about the same weight and faster aperture.

The SL16-35 is excellent in many (most) respects, but not for astrophotography wide open at 16 mm. Too much astigmatism towards the edges/corners for my taste (on SL, haven't tested it for astrophotography on S1R yet). SL24-90 wide open at 24mm is simply excellent, however (again on SL).

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Timkr:

I used it on the SL, now on the S1R

I realised the zeiss lens has an extremly short back focal distance.

May I ask you (or other forum members), to provide two pictures, if on hand:

1) full frame of geometric figures, e.g. brickwall

2) just of the egdes, to check CA

Thanks a lot!!!!

Edited by saxo

The Rokinon and Samyang are the same lens. I have two (Canon and Nikon mounts) apart from the moustache distortion it's a very good lens.

The EF>SL adaptor reads the Canon version and stops down the aperture. There is a correction profile available for Lightroom that sorts out the distortion. I have shot real estate and architecture with the Rokinon for years. It is also known for having almost no coma and is popular among astro photographers.

Gordon

• Like 1