Leica V35 negative masking knob

s2pro

• 3 weeks later...

...hey s2pro, the Leitz/Leica V35 Focomat enlarger head incorporates four flexible and retractable masking blades which originate from the following directions - top, bottom, left and right. Each blade is stored in a rolled up position around a rod and is controlled by one of four knobs - when you turn the knob one way the blade unfurls, covering part of the 24mm x 36 mm space in the negative carrier. Depending on how the enlarger is stored, serviced and/or used, the blades could eventually become brittle and more susceptible to breaking (see attached image of a broken unfurled blade). This becomes more of an issue with time but is hardly ever raised or followed up on because few people use the masking function, instead preferring to crop via easel or paper.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like one of your blades is broken and is now detached from the rod which the knob controls.

Many years ago (sometime last century, actually 😬), I had the same issue with my trusty V35 and managed to take the masking assembly apart. If I recall correctly, the task wasn't particularly challenging - and I wouldn't say I am particularly DIY-minded. The real problem lay in getting hold of replacement blades. Luckily for me, I had a good relationship with Nobby Clark and Bob Herriott of the Service Department at Leica UK, way back in the good old Milton Keynes days. They managed to supply me with the blades. I recall Bob Herriott actually advising that it is best to polish the blades with silicone polish before re-assembling, to allow them to slide more easily. I did as instructed and can confirm that they work perfectly to this day.

So, I think you firstly need to determine if a single blade failure is worth the trouble of taking the entire assembly apart. Does the non-functional blade impact the useability of your V35 in any way, or would you just like to fix the blade for the sake of it? Quite frankly, with 3 fully functional blades, you do not really need a fourth. I know several V35s owners who just don't bother fixing broken blades on cost/benefit grounds - the function sees little or no action. Critically, the fault, as you describe it, does not impact workflow.

Let me know your thoughts and apologies for any typos - I haven't had my caffeine fix yet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by aesop
Typo.