The SD card catch is failing on my CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SD card catch is starting to fail on my CL and becoming increasingly difficult to get it to engage. A number of times now the SD card has flown out of the camera after insertion and I now have to push very hard on the card to get the catch to engage. It is not related to any specific card. Of course since Leica wrecked the wifi access to computers/browser and left the "Join WLAN" with no function at all, I am constantly taking the card in and out. They have tried to disguise their stupid mistake by renaming WiFi "Leica Fotos" but that will not fool anyone.  I may have worn out or got some dust in the catch. I am tempted to give a tiny squirt of silicon/teflon lubricant into the bottom of the SD slot to see if that frees things off otherwise the camera will need to go back to Wetzlar for repair.

Bah - humbug! 😡

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Paul, 

Used my air compressor with the regulator turned down to 0.6 Bar and then connected to a Green Clean camera chamber/sensor soft tip cleaning probe with no luck. A tiny squirt of non-conductive RS Components Silicone/Teflon electronic lubricant applied through a long thin plastic straw to the very bottom of the slot, below the card contacts - success. Phew! 

Wilson

• Like 4

Hmm. I've been taking cards and and out of my CL for over a year and there's never been any issue like that. It's most likely just a chance happening. I wouldn't blame using the card slot as it was designed to be used for it... :) 

16 hours ago, ramarren said:

Hmm. I've been taking cards and and out of my CL for over a year and there's never been any issue like that. It's most likely just a chance happening. I wouldn't blame using the card slot as it was designed to be used for it... :) 

I had a look down in the slot with my cheap Fleabay industrial endoscope. The components of the latch are tiny pieces of black shiny looking plastic (unknown composition but hopefully at least ABS or polycarbonate) and very thin single lamina flat and tiny coil springs. It is amazing it keeps working as well/long as it does. There was no dust apparent but there may have been prior to my blowing it out. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, justbananas said:

I’ve read another experience the same thing.. and cards that won’t release. 

Several here have had issues with cards releasing from the slot. In those instances, it was the card's fault. Each time the user lightly applied a nail file to the sides of the card. No more problems. I have a Sansdisk memory card that needs to be filed down. One of these days, I will get around to it.