Panasonic 2x converter and Leica SL 90-280

saxo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Converters doesn't always match (in terms of picture quality), even if the combination converter&lens comes from the same manufacturer. But what about the SL-mount and the combination of Panasonics 2x converter and Leicas APO 90-280?

Has anyone tested the combination of the Panasonic 2x converter and the SL 90-280? Does it work?

Thanks for reply!

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, DirkS said:

Thank you! Maybe one time Leica/Sigma/Pana will offer a 2x converter for all lenses, I hope so!

We live in hope! I wish Leica would produce a 2x or even 1.4x TC for their L lenses. I use the Vario Elmar L 90-280mm mainly for wildlife and that's generally OK, however it's too short for bird photography. As Leica don't offer a longer lens or compatible TC, I purchased a Canon 400mm f4  plus 1.4x & 2x TC, which I could have used on a Leica SL or the upcoming SL2 with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, except that Leica has blocked us from using 3rd party lenses on their L mount bodies 😡.

So instead of an SL I purchased a  Lumix S1R which allows me to use my all Leica SL lenses as well as longer 3rd party lenses as required.

The whole thing is counter intuitive, and so much for the L alliance....go figure.

Edited by michali

On 8/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, michali said:

We live in hope! I wish Leica would produce a 2x or even 1.4x TC for their L lenses. I use the Vario Elmar L 90-280mm mainly for wildlife and that's generally OK, however it's too short for bird photography. As Leica don't offer a longer lens or compatible TC, I purchased a Canon 400mm f4  plus 1.4x & 2x TC, which I could have used on a Leica SL or the upcoming SL2 with the Sigma MC-21 adapter, except that Leica has blocked us from using 3rd party lenses on their L mount bodies 😡.

So instead of an SL I purchased a  Lumix S1R which allows me to use my all Leica SL lenses as well as longer 3rd party lenses as required.

The whole thing is counter intuitive, and so much for the L alliance....go figure.

No they didn’t. I use Canon mount lenses on my SL all the time. SIGMA chose to make the MC-21 not backwardly compatible with the SL. The Novoflex adaptor still works on the SL. Also we don’t know that the SL2 won’t work with the MC21. It probably will.

Gordon

53 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

No they didn’t. I use Canon mount lenses on my SL all the time. SIGMA chose to make the MC-21 not backwardly compatible with the SL. The Novoflex adaptor still works on the SL. Also we don’t know that the SL2 won’t work with the MC21. It probably will.

Gordon

I believe that Sigma apologized on its website for the original claim that it would be compatible, and I construed from that that is was Leica that did not want it to be compatible. Just my opinion, of course.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

The Leica rep. told me that it was Leica that blocked the Sigma MC-21. The Novoflex adapter by many accounts is erratic and unreliable with several Canon lenses. It's not a given that all Canon lenses work with this adapter. 

There are pages of comments about this: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269686-novoflex-canon-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-adapter-list-of-compatibletested-lenses/   & https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/293761-canon-lenses-on-sl/

I have a new  Canon 400mm f4 DO II lens, I've written to Novoflex enquiring whether this will work on the SL via their adapter, I'm still waiting for a definitive answer. 

Here's their compatibility list: Novoflex SL Adapter EF Lens Compatibility List

I repeat, I use the Vario Elmar L 90-280mm mainly for wildlife and that's generally OK, however it's too short for bird photography. As Leica doesn't offer a telephoto lens beyond 280mm, I purchased an S1R along with the Canon 400mm f4, it gives me what I specifically need for my work, and also allows me to use my all my Leica SL, M & R lenses.           No hiccups no guesswork, no erratic behaviour.....

I hope your optimism re the MC-21 working on the SL2 is correct. I'll purchase an SL2 in a heartbeat if it will give me that level of compatibility.

Best,

Mike

• Like 1

Canon has modified their lens-to-camera protocol several times over the years, in ways that made third-party lenses incompatible.

It's a far stretch to expect Leica to support an adapter made by a different company to convert a protocol designed (but never published) by a third company. They would need a team of software engineers to support just that product, and it wouldn't bring-in a dime of revenue!

Sigma can do it, because their whole business, up until the L-Mount, was based on making their lenses compatible with Canon and Nikon. Even then they eventually conceded and built a USB dock to accommodate the endless stream of firmware updates that are required.

The lesson here is the same thing that we've known since the 1960s: if your photography depends on the availability of ultra-telephoto lenses, get a Canon or a Nikon.

Pentax, Minolta, Miranda, Contax, Olympus, Leica, Rolleiflex, Fujica, Konica, Fujica, Sony, etc., occasionally offered some long lenses, but never a whole system of bodies and lenses dedicated to the needs of the ultra-telephoto shooter.

Frankly, lenses of 400+ mm are so big that you may as well permanently attach them to a body. It seems odd to use a series of wonky, partly compatible adapters when you can get a native body at a lower price.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 5:16 PM, michali said:

The Leica rep. told me that it was Leica that blocked the Sigma MC-21. The Novoflex adapter by many accounts is erratic and unreliable with several Canon lenses. It's not a given that all Canon lenses work with this adapter. 

There are pages of comments about this: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269686-novoflex-canon-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-adapter-list-of-compatibletested-lenses/   & https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/293761-canon-lenses-on-sl/

I have a new  Canon 400mm f4 DO II lens, I've written to Novoflex enquiring whether this will work on the SL via their adapter, I'm still waiting for a definitive answer. 

Here's their compatibility list: Novoflex SL Adapter EF Lens Compatibility List

I repeat, I use the Vario Elmar L 90-280mm mainly for wildlife and that's generally OK, however it's too short for bird photography. As Leica doesn't offer a telephoto lens beyond 280mm, I purchased an S1R along with the Canon 400mm f4, it gives me what I specifically need for my work, and also allows me to use my all my Leica SL, M & R lenses.           No hiccups no guesswork, no erratic behaviour.....

I hope your optimism re the MC-21 working on the SL2 is correct. I'll purchase an SL2 in a heartbeat if it will give me that level of compatibility.

Best,

Mike

Indeed the Novoflex adaptor is incredibly erratic on the SL. Even when it does work, it’s not ideal. Certainly not what we’ve come to expect from the Sigma and Metabones adaptors on Sony cameras. I don’t have the 400DO but generally even if AF doesn’t work exposure does. With Sigma lenses sometimes even that didn’t work, although my 12-24 came good after a firmware update from Sigma.

How is the 400AF with the MC21? I tried a bunch of longer lenses (I’m more interested in something like the Sigma 60-600 for flexibility over pure optical perfection) and the AF was incredibly slow, even in bright day light. Is the prime better?

Ultimately I think Sigma will bring their longer glass to the L mount. It’d be a good commercial decision to do so given there’s nothing from Leica in that range at all. And given how much tech Leica gets from panasonic (DFD for the SL) I have no doubt the SL2 should support the MC21. Sigma’s press release said “current” L mount cameras.

You could both be right about it being Leica’s decision. I have it in my head I read it was a Sigma decision. I’d have to see if I can find that item.

Gordon

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

.......How is the 400AF with the MC21? I tried a bunch of longer lenses (I’m more interested in something like the Sigma 60-600 for flexibility over pure optical perfection) and the AF was incredibly slow, even in bright day light. Is the prime better?.....

The Canon performs exceptionally well on the S1R with the MC-21 in SAF mode, I don't use CAF anyway.  It's slightly slower with the 1.4x & 2x Tele converters.  In fact if anything I consider it too sharp.  I shoot in Raw & JPEG I find myself de-sharpening either way.  I'm not a huge fan of super-sharp "clinical" images, have a look here:  Images with S1R & Canon 400mm f4 DO

I've tried the Canon 400mm f4 on my SL by putting a small strip of masking tape across the contacts. It works in full manual mode. You're at the mercy of the gods with that, I have no idea what aperture it sets itself at. Shutter speed and focus are all fully manual,  I've no problem with that, but there's no point in having a $6, 500- lens to do this, when I can  use my 280mm f4 APO Telyt R and Tele converters and still have aperture control.

I do prefer the SL/Canon image rendering  over the Lumix/Canon combination. The SL images are less "clinical" IMO.  In fact I've found the same with Sony, Canon and Nikon and keep coming back to the Leica. 

I received a reply from Novoflex regarding compatibility of the Canon 400mm  lens on their EF/SL adapter:

Dear Mike,
the list on our homepage is from 2016. It contains all informations we had up to this date. Up to now we had not the chance to try more lenses even bacause we found out that some lenses seem to have different software so that some lenses work and other, same lenses do not. 
So the best way is to try your own combination. 

you´re right. Actually we don´t have a distributor in South Africa. So if you like, we´ll send the adapter directly to you with the possibility to send it back if it doesn´t work.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen 

Andreas M
(Fotografenmeister/Leiter Fototechnik) 

I've ordered an adapter from them to try out the Canon lens on my SL. I expect to receive it by end of this week and will report back.

Best,

Mike

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 1