Lens Profiles for Voigtlander M-mount Lenses on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone -

This is my first post on the forum and I am new to owning a Leica camera.  I have a few older Leica R lenses that I have been using on my Fuji cameras and they have been simply fantastic.

I recently purchased a Leica CL and the M-adapter L.  In trying out some of my Voigtlander VM lenses, I noticed that the results do vary quite a bit depending on which lens profile is selected in camera.  However, the available profiles are only for Leica M lenses.  None are available for the Voigtlander, at least natively with the camera and adapter.  Are there profiles for Voigtlander lenses that can be downloaded and installed somehow?  Or is it best to just see which Leica M lens profile produces the best result for a given Voigtlander M lens?  What have others done to maximize IQ with the Voigtlander VM lenses.  I have a few of them spanning 10mm to 35mm.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, AButtolph said:

Hi Everyone -

This is my first post on the forum and I am new to owning a Leica camera.  I have a few older Leica R lenses that I have been using on my Fuji cameras and they have been simply fantastic.

I recently purchased a Leica CL and the M-adapter L.  In trying out some of my Voigtlander VM lenses, I noticed that the results do vary quite a bit depending on which lens profile is selected in camera.  However, the available profiles are only for Leica M lenses.  None are available for the Voigtlander, at least natively with the camera and adapter.  Are there profiles for Voigtlander lenses that can be downloaded and installed somehow?  Or is it best to just see which Leica M lens profile produces the best result for a given Voigtlander M lens?  What have others done to maximize IQ with the Voigtlander VM lenses.  I have a few of them spanning 10mm to 35mm.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your photos. I can't answer that question, though I do think that's been discussed. Have you posted this question as well in the M forum, where I suspect it's been answered? But I can add some URLs that I find helpful:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/

http://berndmargotte.com/technical/objektivcodierung_en.html

https://www.dpreview.com/search?query=voigtlander+coding

Edited by bags27

No, there are no profiles for third-party lenses and no way to install them in the camera. You either need to use a Leica profile that fits -more or less- or rely on your post processing skills. 

44 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your photos. I can't answer that question, though I do think that's been discussed. Have you posted this question as well in the M forum, where I suspect it's been answered? But I can add some URLs that I find helpful:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/leica-lens-codes/

http://berndmargotte.com/technical/objektivcodierung_en.html

https://www.dpreview.com/search?query=voigtlander+coding

Thank you for the warm welcome and the information!  Very appreciated.  I had not previously found those links and the information is very helpful.  Also, I had not checked the M forum, but will do so - thanks for that suggestion too. 

I look forward to posting some images once I get things nailed down a bit more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No, there are no profiles for third-party lenses and no way to install them in the camera. You either need to use a Leica profile that fits -more or less- or rely on your post processing skills. 

But he can, if he wants to go to the trouble, to create physical codings on the lenses, right?

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

OK - thanks for the info.  This is what I thought was probably the case.  I will look through the links that were provided more thoroughly to find the best matches for the lenses that I have.  Corrections in post are pretty easy and I don't have any issues working on them there. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, bags27 said:

But he can, if he wants to go to the trouble, to create physical codings on the lenses, right?

It looks like it is possible from one of the links that you supplied. 

The interesting thing that I noticed on one of the lenses was that the profile selection seemed to alter the sharpness, which surprised me.  I need to go back and do some more rigorous testing just to make sure.

49 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Yes Bags, you are correct, good links!  Think Match Technical have a good lens coding kit.   I've never bothered though but sometimes think I should if only for a more helpful exif reading.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AButtolph said:

[...] I need to go back and do some more rigorous testing just to make sure.

Interesting to see what your findings will be as i did not find significant differences when applying different Leica profiles to my current CV lenses (15/4.5 v2, 21/3.5, 21/4, 35/1.4, 35/2). I did not try hard though to be honest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AButtolph said:

(Bolden) Yes, that. 

I have three Voigtländer lenses that I use on the CL: HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5, and Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5. I haven't found that any of the in-camera Leica lens profiles improve the 10mm or 50mm by very much so I use them with no profile; sometimes I use the 50mm with the Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 profile just so that I know the photos were made with a 50mm lens. I find the Summaron-M 28mm profile works well with the Color Skopar 28mm and does improve its rendering subtly. 

With the 10mm lens, when processing in Lightroom 6.14, I apply the LR lens profile for that lens. There are minimal but visible gains using the APS-C format, but more noticeable gains when using the same lens on a Leica M digital camera. Most of the improvements in that case are in the area imaged beyond the APS-C format.

• Like 1