lawman

Soft release

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, pico said:

That is fine, and the late Tom Abrahamsson knew the subtle and fatal flaws of soft releases for various models, and he made the best. Abandon generics.

I still remember when Tom first came up with the softie idea and showed me an early prototype. I was skeptical at first, but as Tom explained and showed me, his idea was that you use the middle joint of your index finger to press the release button rather than jabbing with the tip of your finger. Tom demonstrated this gave a smoother release, and I have been a believer ever since.

Should have done a video with Tom demonstrating this himself, I think more people would “get it”.

I miss Tom, he was the best! 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb derleicaman:

... his idea was that you use the middle joint of your index finger to press the release button rather than jabbing with the tip of your finger.

Yes, that's the correct technique. I don't know whose idea it was originally but it sure wasn't Tom Abrahamsson's. Probably it was Oskar Barnack's.

Anyway, this technique exactly is the reason why no savvy Leica shooter uses 'soft-release' buttons—they prevent soft releasing.

Actually in the new book on Dr Paul Wolff, there is a picture of the man taking a photo with a Leica I or II with the middle joint of his index finger over the shutter release.. It is that old!!!!

Albert

1 hour ago, 01af said:

Yes, that's the correct technique. I don't know whose idea it was originally but it sure wasn't Tom Abrahamsson's. Probably it was Oskar Barnack's.

Anyway, this technique exactly is the reason why no savvy Leica shooter uses 'soft-release' buttons—they prevent soft releasing.

Different strokes for different folks. Softie works for me.

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

Actually in the new book on Dr Paul Wolff, there is a picture of the man taking a photo with a Leica I or II with the middle joint of his index finger over the shutter release.. It is that old!!!!

Albert

Albert, did you get yours already? Mine should be arriving today.

got it yesterday, read it cover to cover and sent you an email. 

It merits a thoughtful review in VF.

Albert

Edited by albertknappmd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, 01af said:

"... no savvy Leica shooter ...", 01af?  Have you canvassed them all?  You are free to believe whatever nonsense you choose.

Pete.

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

got it yesterday, read it cover to cover and sent you an email. 

It merits a thoughtful review in VF.

Albert

Ed Schwartzreich, our resident expert in Paul Wolff has written a review for the next issue of Viewfinder

vor 3 Stunden schrieb farnz:

"... no savvy Leica shooter ...", Olaf?  Have you canvassed them all?

Of course I have not, and you know it. So my blunt statement maybe is a bit too pointed. And yet, in my (limited) experience, new Leica owners love 'soft release' buttons like teenage girls like teddy bears, ponies, and unicorns on their smartphone pouches but old hands don't use them. Exceptions exist but those are just that—exceptions. Not the norm. Because 'soft release' buttons actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

10 minutes ago, 01af said:

Because 'soft release' buttons actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

Certainly not the case as far as I'm concerned.  And, no, I'm not a new Leica owner or a teenage girl that likes teddy bears, ponies, and unicorns.😅

Pete.