Soft release

lawman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, pico said:

That is fine, and the late Tom Abrahamsson knew the subtle and fatal flaws of soft releases for various models, and he made the best. Abandon generics.

I still remember when Tom first came up with the softie idea and showed me an early prototype. I was skeptical at first, but as Tom explained and showed me, his idea was that you use the middle joint of your index finger to press the release button rather than jabbing with the tip of your finger. Tom demonstrated this gave a smoother release, and I have been a believer ever since.

Should have done a video with Tom demonstrating this himself, I think more people would “get it”.

I miss Tom, he was the best! 

• Like 3

vor 9 Stunden schrieb derleicaman:

... his idea was that you use the middle joint of your index finger to press the release button rather than jabbing with the tip of your finger.

Yes, that's the correct technique. I don't know whose idea it was originally but it sure wasn't Tom Abrahamsson's. Probably it was Oskar Barnack's.

Anyway, this technique exactly is the reason why no savvy Leica shooter uses 'soft-release' buttons—they prevent soft releasing.

Actually in the new book on Dr Paul Wolff, there is a picture of the man taking a photo with a Leica I or II with the middle joint of his index finger over the shutter release.. It is that old!!!!

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, 01af said:

Yes, that's the correct technique. I don't know whose idea it was originally but it sure wasn't Tom Abrahamsson's. Probably it was Oskar Barnack's.

Anyway, this technique exactly is the reason why no savvy Leica shooter uses 'soft-release' buttons—they prevent soft releasing.

Different strokes for different folks. Softie works for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

Actually in the new book on Dr Paul Wolff, there is a picture of the man taking a photo with a Leica I or II with the middle joint of his index finger over the shutter release.. It is that old!!!!

Albert

Albert, did you get yours already? Mine should be arriving today.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, 01af said:

"... no savvy Leica shooter ...", 01af?  Have you canvassed them all?  You are free to believe whatever nonsense you choose.

Pete.

2 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

got it yesterday, read it cover to cover and sent you an email. 

It merits a thoughtful review in VF.

Albert

Ed Schwartzreich, our resident expert in Paul Wolff has written a review for the next issue of Viewfinder

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb farnz:

"... no savvy Leica shooter ...", Olaf?  Have you canvassed them all?

Of course I have not, and you know it. So my blunt statement maybe is a bit too pointed. And yet, in my (limited) experience, new Leica owners love 'soft release' buttons like teenage girls like teddy bears, ponies, and unicorns on their smartphone pouches but old hands don't use them. Exceptions exist but those are just that—exceptions. Not the norm. Because 'soft release' buttons actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 01af said:

Because 'soft release' buttons actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

Certainly not the case as far as I'm concerned.  And, no, I'm not a new Leica owner or a teenage girl that likes teddy bears, ponies, and unicorns.😅

Pete.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 01af said:

Because 'soft release' buttons actually do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

Incorrect, as I said earlier, they are designed to boost the profits of the supplier of these rather dubious gadgets. But if you like them, go for it. 😆

I decided to give a Leica soft release a go, just out of curiosity more than anything. So far it’s ok and perhaps the actuation of the shutter seems a little more precise? If it trips the shutter in the bag or whilst carrying or catches / falls off, I’ll probably not replace it though...

I feel that a softie makes the shutter release more sensitive, which reduces the chance of camera shake (pressing the shutter release down with my finger).
Without the softie I often end up pressing down harder with my finger, which introduces camera shake, or unwanted tilting of the camera towards the right.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, indergaard said:

I feel that a softie makes the shutter release more sensitive, which reduces the chance of camera shake (pressing the shutter release down with my finger).
Without the softie I often end up pressing down harder with my finger, which introduces camera shake, or unwanted tilting of the camera towards the right.

... same here. For me it feels much better with the soft release. If you think it’s garbage, that’s okay, too,

I love teddy bears and have only been using Leica cameras since the late 1970’s so I still have lots to learn....🥴. Tom got me going on his Soft release technique and I have never felt totally comfortable using an M camera without one ever since - whatever works for you is the way to go- this is a pleasurable hobby, not a contest  - imo of course 🤗

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, 01af said:

The M FAQ show the (a?) correct way of holding the camera and releasing the shutter. A soft release would hinder rather than help.

Question:

I understand that my grip on the camera is important for keeping the camera steady for slow shutterspeeds. How do I hold my camera properly?

Answer:

There is of course a variation in users' ability to handhold slow shutter speeds, as there is individual variation in the steadiness of people's hands, but holding the camera correctly should enable anyone to shoot at speeds of 1/15 or even much slower with a 35 mm lens.

1. Hold out the left hand like you are begging (not hard after just buying Leica gear;))

2. Hold the camera in the palm of your hand and focus with thumb and index finger.

3. Hold the camera firmly with your right hand and put your finger flat on the collar and release button. Relax that finger.

You'll find that just the slightest "rolling" twitch of your finger will release the camera without shake.

The most common mistakes are a waving left elbow and above all!! a crooked index finger that does not rest on the collar around the release button. Don't jab the release!

The use of a soft release will make your grip on the camera less stable. It may be comfortable in use, but for slow shutter speeds remove it.

This, of course, works for me and is not a law for others :D . But it is the traditional rangefinder way, and who am I to argue with tradition ;)?

The images show the wrong way (top) to hold the camera and the right way (bottom).

Note that I am using a handgrip here, but its presence makes no difference in the slow speed holdability.

One option for locking these onto the thread is to find at the hardware store the smallest flexible rubber 'O' ring of the sort used for taps but smaller. Roll one onto the threaded  shank of the soft release and tighten it onto the camera shutter button. The 'O' ring gets squeezed between the camera's shutter button and the soft release's "mushroom" top, helping lock it into place. Without something of this sort a soft release is tight until it is suddenly very loose with nothing in between. The cushioning effect of a flexible rubber ring helps keep the thing in place by providing an in between state of semi tightness that inhibits it from falling off.

Before I did this I lost one of those cute (and expensive)  little Match Technical "Bug O" lady bug soft releases. (DAMN!)

• 2 months later...

I used the Lolumina on my D-Lux 7 and worked really well shooting from the hip. The shutter button feel was instant and did not have to look if I was pressing the correct button.