Panasonic Lumix S PRO Leica 70-200 F4 O.I.S. with new 2X Teleconverter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received the new 2X Tele Converter DMW-STC20 for the Panasonic Lumix S PRO Leica 70-200 F4 O.I.S. Sample image below from my SL taken at 40m 

Panasonic 2x converter   (   400 mm  - Leica - Spot - Aperture priority - ISO 1600 - ¹⁄₅₀₀ sec at ƒ - 8.0 - 0 EV -   )  -1230695.jpg

Very happy the results so far although maximum aperture is down at f/8.0 - OK for sunny days. Total cost for both items less than 50% of the Leica 90-280 f/2.8-f/4.

The DMW-STC20 with the Leica 280mm might be fun!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, paulgreenfield said:

Just received the new 2X Tele Converter DMW-STC20 for the Panasonic Lumix S PRO Leica 70-200 F4 O.I.S. Sample image below from my SL taken at 40m 

Panasonic 2x converter   (   400 mm  - Leica - Spot - Aperture priority - ISO 1600 - ¹⁄₅₀₀ sec at ƒ - 8.0 - 0 EV -   )  -1230695.jpg

Very happy the results so far although maximum aperture is down at f/8.0 - OK for sunny days. Total cost for both items less than 50% of the Leica 90-280 f/2.8-f/4.

Detail looks great!

5 hours ago, Greg Haag said:

Detail looks great!

Here is another one close up (4M)  - bokeh looks nice even at f/8.0. Ignore the great colours - thats down to the SL

Overall this combo looks great - weight, cost, size IQ. I am taking it to the Serengeti in October - more results from the field then.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, paulgreenfield said:

I doubt if it will work due to the bit that pokes out. 

I note the 70-200 has 2 extra contacts on the lens .... but none on the camera ...... presumably something to do with the adapter or other functions. 

54 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

I doubt if it will work due to the bit that pokes out. 

I note the 70-200 has 2 extra contacts on the lens .... but none on the camera ...... presumably something to do with the adapter or other functions. 

I hadn't noticed till you pointed them out. They don't pass through to the DMW-STC20.

Here's another shot at 140mm from 40M distance

Panasonic 2x converter   (   140 mm  - Leica - Spot - Aperture priority - ISO 1600 - ¹⁄₅₀₀ sec at ƒ - 8.0 - 0 EV -   )  -1230693.jpg

Edited by paulgreenfield
couldn't attach photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Literally only got it yesterday. It looks pin sharp so far.Keep you posted here.

• Like 1

Here are a few shots with and without the DMW-STC20 2X all taken on the SL - ISO 1600 - 1/500th Sec - f/8.0 There is also a shot of the same subject using a Leica M APO-Telyt-M 135mm   https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFZVa3f

My conclusions:

1. The Panasonic LUMIX S Pro 70-200mm F4 O.I.S is a brilliant lens - I have been using it for about 4 weeks and I think IQ is as good as the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f2.8-4 ASPH - which is excellent. It is light weight, reasonably priced and fast enough at f/4.0. - with OIS

2. The DMW-STC20 2X Tele Converter makes it excellent for wildlife but at f/8.0 you lose 2 stops. This means for need good light or at least ISO 800 - which is fine on the SL. I haven.t done a scientific test of IQ with the extender but my first impression is very positive. The DMW-STC14 1.4X Tele Converter might be a better option if you don't want to go to ISO 800+ as it only loses 1 stop (f/5.6)

3. I slightly prefer the colour on the Leica M  APO-Telyt-M 135mm prime to the Lumix (with or without the adaptor)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:24 AM, paulgreenfield said:

Hi Ian - see my list on Aug 10th. I am on Safari now with the SL, the 70-200 and 2x Tele. V happy with results although f/8 is max aperture.

I ordered the 70-200 and it should arrive in a few days. I bought the 90-280 some time back but must admit I have not used it yet. If the 70-200 and possibly adapter delivers, perhaps I will offer the 90-280 for sale. There are many other exiting L-lenses in the pipeline. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some shots with the SL601, the Panasonic Lumix S PRO Leica 70-200 F4 O.I.S and Panasonic 2X Tele Converter DMW-STC20  on Safari.

I am very happy with the results at 400mm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulsgreenfield/albums/72157711217493557/with/48853193083/

Edited by paulgreenfield
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1