Question for M262 owners

rivi1969

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well, you could use wideangle lenses with zone focus.

I was thinking in adapted lenses like Leica R... A friend of mine offers to sell me her M262 so I am learning a little more about it. I thought it was an M240 without the brass but now I see is like an M9 with CMOS sensor instead of CCD.

R lenses via an adapter on M cameras definitely need EVF for focusing. The 262 (to which I have returned after not finding M10 all that wonderful) is the simplest and easiest current digital M to use; its rangefinder focus (with dioptre if necessary) is faster than EVF through the lens focusing in my experience.

12 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

I was thinking in adapted lenses like Leica R... A friend of mine offers to sell me her M262 so I am learning a little more about it. I thought it was an M240 without the brass but now I see is like an M9 with CMOS sensor instead of CCD.

More like an M240 without Live View. The M262/M240's operation is much improved/desirable compared to the M9. The shutter release action is much improved, the viewfinder lines are more accurate at normal shooting distances compared to the M9, where the finder lines are based on a view at the closest focus distance, meaning what you actually capture with an M9 at any distance longer than around 3 feet is quite a bit more than what the lines indicate.

The battery in an M262 lasts a long, LONG time since no battery-draining live view can be used. I have a second battery but can use my M262 for 3-4 days of pretty darn heavy shooting with lots of chimping/deleting before I have to change batteries, where I would never leave home with an M9 and less than three fully-charged batteries.

4 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I wonder how anyone managed before the EVF was invented?

I wonder that too... So far I been very happy with my M8, however, the EVF allows the use of many different lenses than the native Ms. Like macros, for example, or simply using Leica R glass, I don’t see the problem with that, and you?

1 hour ago, Gregm61 said:

More like an M240 without Live View. The M262/M240's operation is much improved/desirable compared to the M9. The shutter release action is much improved, the viewfinder lines are more accurate at normal shooting distances compared to the M9, where the finder lines are based on a view at the closest focus distance, meaning what you actually capture with an M9 at any distance longer than around 3 feet is quite a bit more than what the lines indicate.

The battery in an M262 lasts a long, LONG time since no battery-draining live view can be used. I have a second battery but can use my M262 for 3-4 days of pretty darn heavy shooting with lots of chimping/deleting before I have to change batteries, where I would never leave home with an M9 and less than three fully-charged batteries.

Thank you, it seems like a very nice alternative to the 240. I’ll give it a serious thought these days. My friend is asking me USD $3300, she bought it new and has less than 3000 shutter clicks. Barely use.

That does sound like a good price. It’s the only M, film or digital, I’ve ever purchased new.

i’ve noticed Tamarkin has had a second-hand in the box with everything M262 in what he calls Ex++, which would be very clean, with his one-year warranty, for $3,450.

Edited by Gregm61

After finally being able to afford a leica m at 60 years old [m type 262] i registered on this forum.

What has shocked me looking back through the threads is how many posters crave EVF's and praise live view.

Why turn a unique camera with a beautiful clear finder and a wonderful rangefinder into just another EVF and any other bells and whistles camera?

Maybe throw in AF for good measure?

Each to their own of course but i never imagined i would see this on a leica forum before came on here.

46 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Steve,

you will see more and more than you would imagine, here 😏.

Coming to M (typ 262), this is not another full-feature M,

after this one better (worse ?) yet Leica released the M-D (typ 262) such lovely pair 😍

Trouble is that i shoot jpegs and try to carry on in my old style from my kodachrome days.

I dont think the m-d shoots jpegs and i must be truthful and admit i do like checking my exposure on the rear screen at times on my m262.

So although i like the m-d 262 ideology the m type 262 is a better match for me.

Horses for courses.

I hope that one day you would use that DNG files and no more jpg (= throwing away your negatives, I know that slides are not negatives, but ...).

Anyway, the adoption must come from you and I can say that so many (most of my) DNG files need zero post-processing.

19 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

After finally being able to afford a leica m at 60 years old [m type 262] i registered on this forum.

What has shocked me looking back through the threads is how many posters crave EVF's and praise live view.

Why turn a unique camera with a beautiful clear finder and a wonderful rangefinder into just another EVF and any other bells and whistles camera?

Maybe throw in AF for good measure?

Each to their own of course but i never imagined i would see this on a leica forum before came on here.

Because you can’t take macro or use long telephotos with a rangefinder? Or maybe because some people has R- lenses that can be enjoy with an M? Is not the end of the world, not a photographic sacrilege. 

Of course those who are so purists have a choice of going LCD-less with the MD262. 

On 8/11/2019 at 2:44 AM, Gregm61 said:

That does sound like a good price. It’s the only M, film or digital, I’ve ever purchased new.

i’ve noticed Tamarkin has had a second-hand in the box with everything M262 in what he calls Ex++, which would be very clean, with his one-year warranty, for $3,450.

Hello Greg, yes I saw that one too. I am going to call Ernie and see if he can offer a tiny discount on that one 😉 they also have an MD (drooling) but much more expensive.

2 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Because you can’t take macro or use long telephotos with a rangefinder? Or maybe because some people has R- lenses that can be enjoy with an M? Is not the end of the world, not a photographic sacrilege. 

Of course those who are so purists have a choice of going LCD-less with the MD262. 

Fair enough.

I do know that the EVF for the m240 is the same as the olympus VF2 from years ago and dreadful compared to modern versions,i used a VF-4 on my olympus pen ep-5 which is much better and no better or worse than the EVF in the original leica Q [ i tried them together].

32 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

Fair enough.

I do know that the EVF for the m240 is the same as the olympus VF2 from years ago and dreadful compared to modern versions,i used a VF-4 on my olympus pen ep-5 which is much better and no better or worse than the EVF in the original leica Q [ i tried them together].

Steve, but I also agree with what you said. I enjoy my M8 exactly because of its limitations, in fact my favorite images are from it, even though my Sony A7Rii is way more capable. I was asking because a friend of mine offers me her M262 and since I have a couple of Zeiss (Yashica mount) would be nice to use them with an M from time to time but it is not a deal breaker at all.