Best meter for screwmount

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With a handy Leica III in my pocket I don't want to lug a large exposure meter around. Even a Gossen LunaSix is a bit large. I have picked up a Zeiss Ikophot which seems it might do the job without need for batteries. Does anyone have experience of this meter ?

vor 20 Minuten schrieb pebbles:

Sekonic L-208 TwinMate for incident and reflected ambient light readings.
Forgot that it needs a CR2032 lithium battery because even after many years it's still the first inside.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I mostly use a Sekonic L-208 TwinMate but another handy meter is the Voigtlander VC which clips into the accessory shoe, in silver it blends in well with the camera.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Digisix, the L-208, and the VCII. The Digisix never shuts off, changing ISO setting is inconvenient, and batteries don't last too long. I find the L-208 easier and faster to use, and batteries last much longer. I use it with a variety of cameras, and when I want an incident light reading.

The VCII is great on an ltm Leica - except when you need an accessory finder. It isn't convenient to hand hold compared to the L-208.

• Like 2

There has been a similar discussion before on the subject of meters. I have used the Sekonic L208 Twinmate for some years and bought a second one to keep in a second bag. As stated it is reliable and the battery lasts for ages.

If you want something a bit more vintage to suit the camera a Metraphot/Leica is nice, if you can find one that works correctly.

• Like 1

And what about the tiny Metrawatt Leica-Meter 2 code MRTWMT of 1954 (and leather case METEC)? I used two, including the slightly diferent Leica-Meter 3 METTNC of 1957, that gave full satisfaction. Here are photos from my Fontenelle collection archives, including one showing the size compared to "classical" Leica meters : Leica-Meter 2, Metrawatt Metraphot METER and Leicamete M.

2 hours ago, Pecole said:

And what about the tiny Metrawatt Leica-Meter 2 code MRTWMT of 1954 (and leather case METEC)? I used two, including the slightly diferent Leica-Meter 3 METTNC of 1957, that gave full satisfaction.  

The Metrawatt Leica-Meter 2 is perfect providing you can find one that still works.

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

The Metrawatt Leica-Meter 2 is perfect providing you can find one that still works.

The Voigtlander twin shoe adapter which would work well with the Leica-Meter 2 also.

Edited by Matlock

25 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

Oh no, don't deface your little handy screw-Leica with such battleship-like superstructures.

It simply slips into the accessory screw when needed. I must admit I hardly ever use it but it is an interesting accessory.

1 hour ago, pebbles said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. The Zeiss Ikon Ikophot doesn't seem to be in anyone's stable.

That’s a very old meter and the cells deteriorate over time. If yours is working accurately then why not use it?

A newer battery operated meter will be more accurate and more sensitive so able to give you readings in lower light conditions.

I have a Minolta autometer which only has the attachment for incident readings. I’ve also got a Vivitar meter I picked up at a camera fair that’s very compact and doesn’t need batteries. There is also a meter app on my phone but I tend not to use it much.

On 8/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, earleygallery said:

That’s a very old meter and the cells deteriorate over time. If yours is working accurately then why not use it?

A newer battery operated meter will be more accurate and more sensitive so able to give you readings in lower light conditions.

I have a Minolta autometer which only has the attachment for incident readings. I’ve also got a Vivitar meter I picked up at a camera fair that’s very compact and doesn’t need batteries. There is also a meter app on my phone but I tend not to use it much.

On 8/10/2019 at 2:20 PM, earleygallery said:

I have a 1936 Sixtus Leica meter which was bought by the owner at the same time as he bought the camera - I am only the second owner as I bought it from his widow. The meter still works but is is slightly off register most of the time. The Ikophot seems to match my CL readings exactly. That meter is 1956.