Storing Leica cameras over time...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a modest collection of leica camera bodies and lenses. I haven't looked at some of them in my cabinet for quite a while- today I had a look and was surprised to find some spots appearing on many of the top plates of my M cameras. Oddly this issue affects some more than others. These spots rub off largely- but should I be concerned? How do other users go about long term storage of their collections? I do have several large sacks of silica gel in my cabinet but if I am honest I have not taken these out often enough and dried them out. Even if I did that my cabinet is not very airtight- I would be interested to hear about how other people go about protecting their preciousness...

I know the answer is probably a firm no- but would very lightly rubbing carnauba wax onto these cameras help to protect the chrome? I use that to protect aluminum coffee makers I also collect from oxidization and preserve their shine.

EDIT: I just read up a bit and microwaved my Silica: surprised by how much water came out- eek!🙄

Edited by jaques

I wouldn’t know. Where do you live, UK? Move to Spain then? Although, these days you don’t where the rain is gonna fall next years. It seems you’ve part of your answer though: renew the Silica once a year

Edited by otto.f

I live in South Australia- which is said to the the driest state in the driest continent on Earth... However just today it is 9c and pouring with rain. In general it is on the low humidity side of the equation here. Looking closely at my cameras I note this spotting mostly only occurs on the top  of the camera which indicates to me it has something to do with super fine dust (invisible to the eye) that settles there- and perhaps holds moisture long/often enough for it to start interacting with the chrome and/or dust.

The spots could also be the start of verdigris, which is brass corrosion. It can occur through the chrome plating. The same thing happened to my MP and M2 when I left them in a bag against a cold wall. It just rubbed off with alcohol and hasn’t returned since.  No polish or wax is necessary. Just get your cameras in an environment with free airflow.

I’m in Melbourne FWIW

Edited by Mute-on

I have a neighbour in Sydney who stored his Leicas on a table uncovered.

The chrome became pitted from , what I thought could be salt. We live near Sydney

Harbour but get salt spray from the surf on the coast about 2km away.

It is often on the windscreen of the car in the garage. The answer is to use the cameras regularly

and fondle them often.