Should I trade the M9M for a film MP?

drwatson1234

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This isn't a question of if the trade is 1-to-1 in valuation, but more so, a check on the sanity of my thought process.  I'm young-ish (33), and grew up with digital, but have found my way film, instead of the reverse process.  Thanks for checking & your thoughts!

I have an original Leica Monochrom (M9M) that suffered from sensor corrosion.  I sent it off for the sensor replacement, and while it was gone, shot a lot of B&W with my M3.  At the same time, I really enjoyed the full 'process' of shooting B&W film.  I now hand/bulk roll my 35mm film, develop it at home, scan it on a Noritsu scanner, and also set up a makeshift darkroom for printing enlargements from the negatives.  

Since the M9M has come back with the new sensor, I am reminded of how great that camera is for B&W, but not very motivated to go out shooting with it.  Shooting with film and getting to be involved in the (for me) very tactical process from start to finish really makes me want to out and shoot more.  I know film is more expensive over the long haul, and I can continue to shoot with film with the M3.  But, I was considering trying to find a mostly even trade for a good shape film MP/M-A, just to have more frame lines to match my lens range (28, 35, 50).  I use an external viewfinder for the 28mm on the M3 sometimes for landscapes, or zone focusing @ f8/f11.  But, there are definitely times I would like to be able to frame and focus a 28mm lens from a .72x or .58x viewfinder on an MP/M-A when I photograph my toddlers.  Trying to focus and then adjust for framing in a different viewfinder with them on the move just doesn't work.  

Anyone, based upon the above description, think I'm crazy for leaving the M9M to go back to film for B&W exclusively?  Again, thanks for reading & I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Best Regards!

Nothing wrong with using along film and digital.

I'm in this situation with pleasure for more than ten years now.

I've done the other way around, in 2015 Monochrom was very expensive and I had opportunity to do exchange with a woman photographer who wanted an MP.

As film user, I had one MP (and other Ms ) then and exchanged for her mint Monochrom with a lot of money (added by me plus MP) in the trade.

I still use with pleasure the Monochrom with replaced sensor.

Along with film of course.

If you are not happy with the Monochrom, just trade it for another film M.

Side note for your choice for 28mm use.

VF x0.58 only with MP/M6 TTL/M7 not available for M-A (this one has the best viewfinder x0.72 of all my film Ms).

Edited by a.noctilux

Welcome to the Forum.  So young to be afflicted with Leicamania.

If you can swing it keep the M9M, get a second job for a while, and find the film camera you want.  Too many people on this forum (myself included) switch gear and later have regrets.  Your cameras are money in the bank at this point.

1 hour ago, drwatson1234 said:

This isn't a question of if the trade is 1-to-1 in valuation, but more so, a check on the sanity of my thought process.  I'm young-ish (33), and grew up with digital, but have found my way film, instead of the reverse process.  Thanks for checking & your thoughts!

I have an original Leica Monochrom (M9M) that suffered from sensor corrosion.  I sent it off for the sensor replacement, and while it was gone, shot a lot of B&W with my M3.  At the same time, I really enjoyed the full 'process' of shooting B&W film.  I now hand/bulk roll my 35mm film, develop it at home, scan it on a Noritsu scanner, and also set up a makeshift darkroom for printing enlargements from the negatives.  

Since the M9M has come back with the new sensor, I am reminded of how great that camera is for B&W, but not very motivated to go out shooting with it.  Shooting with film and getting to be involved in the (for me) very tactical process from start to finish really makes me want to out and shoot more.  I know film is more expensive over the long haul, and I can continue to shoot with film with the M3.  But, I was considering trying to find a mostly even trade for a good shape film MP/M-A, just to have more frame lines to match my lens range (28, 35, 50).  I use an external viewfinder for the 28mm on the M3 sometimes for landscapes, or zone focusing @ f8/f11.  But, there are definitely times I would like to be able to frame and focus a 28mm lens from a .72x or .58x viewfinder on an MP/M-A when I photograph my toddlers.  Trying to focus and then adjust for framing in a different viewfinder with them on the move just doesn't work.  

Anyone, based upon the above description, think I'm crazy for leaving the M9M to go back to film for B&W exclusively?  Again, thanks for reading & I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Best Regards!

I have M9M, M-P and a bunch of other film M's, and don't think you're crazy to think of selling the M9M to focus on film only. From your post it looks like you'd be working with at least a couple of film M's to get the frameline choice. Say, an M3 and and MP/M-A. You could always buy an M9M again when your needs or tastes change. I haven't been able to shoot film because I live in a small apt in Manhattan and don't have the bathroom space to develop film anymore (I also used to bulk roll), so I'm stuck shooting digital again. Film M's are worth hanging on even unused just because they're lovely and hold their value. The same doesn't apply to digital M's. If I were back to shooting film only, say, and could commit to it for a couple years, I might sell whatever digital M's I own. If I reckoned I might come back to it within a year there's little point. The other thing is that (new sensor) M9M depreciation has probably slowed down. It's a classic. That being said it looks like you're really committed, esp with that Noritsu scanner. There's a lot to be said for focus. Film is indeed special, and doing it well may require the long term focus of not having any other choice. And perhaps you could go on to making your own prints.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, a.noctilux said:

Nothing wrong with using along film and digital.

I'm in this situation with pleasure for more than ten years now.

I've done the other way around, in 2015 Monochrom was very expensive and I had opportunity to do exchange with a woman photographer who wanted an MP.

As film user, I had one MP (and other Ms ) then and exchanged for her mint Monochrom with a lot of money (added by me plus MP) in the trade.

I still use with pleasure the Monochrom with replaced sensor.

Along with film of course.

If you are not happy with the Monochrom, just trade it for another film M.

Side note for your choice for 28mm use.

VF x0.58 only with MP/M6 TTL/M7 not available for M-A (this one has the best viewfinder x0.72 of all my film Ms).

Thanks for thoughts & for the info on the M-A viewfinder & magnification!  

I think I've made up my mind to make the switch. 

On 8/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, Likaleica said:

Welcome to the Forum.  So young to be afflicted with Leicamania.

If you can swing it keep the M9M, get a second job for a while, and find the film camera you want.  Too many people on this forum (myself included) switch gear and later have regrets.  Your cameras are money in the bank at this point.

Appreciate the 'welcome'.  Thanks for the thoughts!  Second job isn't really a viable 'option'.  I do shoot some on the side for paid work.  But, that's at my leisure, and it'd take a while to 'work' off a MP/M-A.  I didn't put it at the beginning - I shoot primarily B&W (hence the film + M9M).  But, I also have a M10 for digital purposes.  Truth be told, I'd sell that too and go all in on film if it were my choice.  My wife (& I love her dearly & respect/understand her desire) would like me to keep the M10 to take pictures of our children.  And, she loves the ability to 'see' we have at least one picture of everyone smiling, and not my toddler son making a silly face.  :) 

• Like 1

There will never be another camera like the original M Monochrom. There will always be film M's available. I really enjoy my various film M cameras and continue to use them on a regular basis. However, I would not even consider letting go of my M Monochrom.

Leica user since 1970

• Like 6

Am 8.8.2019 um 21:50 schrieb drwatson1234:

I think photography has a lot to do with emotions. If your feeling is good, why not? The MP is a great camera and although I have sold mine two times I still bought one a third time.I have to admit, I don't use it so often anymore, but did today and will keep doing as long as my dark room stands. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:09 AM, drwatson1234 said:

Appreciate the 'welcome'.  Thanks for the thoughts!  Second job isn't really a viable 'option'.  I do shoot some on the side for paid work.  But, that's at my leisure, and it'd take a while to 'work' off a MP/M-A.  I didn't put it at the beginning - I shoot primarily B&W (hence the film + M9M).  But, I also have a M10 for digital purposes.  Truth be told, I'd sell that too and go all in on film if it were my choice.  My wife (& I love her dearly & respect/understand her desire) would like me to keep the M10 to take pictures of our children.  And, she loves the ability to 'see' we have at least one picture of everyone smiling, and not my toddler son making a silly face.  :) 

Welcome to the forum!

Im actually in a similar situation as you. I recently sold my M246, kept my M3 and added an M10-P. Now wondering what is the best black and film camera to add. I coming to the conclusion, the best pairing with the M10 is an M7. Had one years ago and absolutely loved it. Wouldn't hesitate to take them both on an outing

On 8/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, drwatson1234 said:

You're in your house, it's night so there's not great light, and you have a film cameras loaded with ASA 400. Suddenly the kids start doing something you really want to photograph. Are you going to get good shots, or will they be blurred because you had to shoot at 1/15th? If you have the MM, you quickly hike the ISO to 3200 or 5000, and you easily get the shot. If you shoot much in low light, that's a good reason to stick with digital.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

You're in your house, it's night so there's not great light, and you have a film cameras loaded with ASA 400. Suddenly the kids start doing something you really want to photograph. Are you going to get good shots, or will they be blurred because you had to shoot at 1/15th? If you have the MM, you quickly hike the ISO to 3200 or 5000, and you easily get the shot. If you shoot much in low light, that's a good reason to stick with digital.

You could also work with the light you have. Or make the light in your house better. Personally I did make lots of photos with 400 asa of my children. Maybe with the house-light it will get a little Rembrantesque. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GBppz/

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 7:44 PM, Lux50 said:

There will never be another camera like the original M Monochrom. There will always be film M's available. I really enjoy my various film M cameras and continue to use them on a regular basis. However, I would not even consider letting go of my M Monochrom.

Leica user since 1970

Can’t agree more. I’m very much into b&w film, although I prefer middle and large format for that, but selling my MM1 would be me biggest mistake ever. I do photography since 1983 and have learned that there are waves of passion and drives in type of photography. When I would’nt be able to get my middle or large formate camera up the hill anymore, I can always return to my MM1. Plus, the Mandler lenses do it so nice on it, very unique. Let’s suppose you buy another lens next year, for instance a Summitar 50 from 1946, how sure are you that the MM1 would not be the ultimate camera for that lens? Btw, a good copy of the Summilux 75 on the MM1 is the ultimate thing for images of your kids growing up, double portraits too.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Some of us here manage to use film M along with digital and so many happy users.

But few had moved to digital only and also happy to have done that.

Other few had moved to film M only, also happy to have done that.

Even fewer had moved to digital only and returned to film only and the other way around 😵.

DRwatson1234,

So OP just do what you want now and you can change that later on, why not.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, otto.f said:

Let’s suppose you buy another lens next year, for instance a Summitar 50 from 1946, how sure are you that the MM1 would not be the ultimate camera for that lens? 

Ha. Monochrom v1. 1946 2.0/50 Summitar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Selling your own MM1 may be irreversible

Otto, you may be right for this.

Since some years now, I was searching for second Monochrom CCD, and in France, always possible seeing for a while adds,

but the price offerings were not so nice.

So I had opportunity to buy M(typ 246) not far from average asking price of CCD model, I took the M246.

After a while to figure out what to sell of the two, Monochrom prices are dropping, so for me the MM1 is bargain for buyers but not for sellers.

Even Leica offer's of some refurbished Monochrom can be a source for people who wants MM1 "as new".

This situation may last a couple of years, later on I'm certain that there won't be MM1 available again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

later on I'm certain that there won't be MM1 available again

Which would bring the prices up again. It also depends on whether an M10 Monochrome will come out. Thus far, the M246 and the MM1 are very different. 

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

You could also work with the light you have. Or make the light in your house better. Personally I did make lots of photos with 400 asa of my children. Maybe with the house-light it will get a little Rembrantesque. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GBppz/

Beautiful images, to be sure. But the vast majority of them were taken with good window light during the day, or outside. I was referring more to the times you're sitting around in the evening with incandescent lighting.

I'm now retired but when I was shooting professionally I did a lot of theater (stage) work. When I made the jump to digital the most significant improvement I noticed was the ability to make much better images in low light.  My "keeper" ratio jumped dramatically.  The low light advantage of digital has been one of the primary reasons I've never gone back to film.

• Like 2