Elmar-C 90 / F4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Besides my large 90mm summicron pre-asph I was looking for a small 90mm lens. Have been looking at the Tele Elmarit, but I wonder what the experiences are with the (far cheaper) Elmar-c 90mm/ F4 is? It is quite cheap secondhand and I am inclined to get one for travel. Any thoughts about this lens? 

I have one (bought for use with my film CL), and have been amazed at how good it is on my M9 & M10. It is said to be optimized for closer distances. The usual concern is that focus may not be as accurate due to the ramped cam design for the CL, but I haven’t seen any issues on my cameras. 

As I recall these CL lenses were designed to use series 5.5 filters held on by the lens hood, so they don’t take standard 39mm filters & hoods. Since I still use their original rubber hoods and haven’t used filters with them this doesn’t bother me. There is an aftermarket adapter to 39mm thread available.

The lens is an amazing value.

Hi

I have my third copy now. A close to mint with original pouch, rubber lens hood and filter. And as such a pleasure to own (doesn`t really tie up much moneys).

However, non of the three do/did not focus correctly... requiring minor adjustments that I have got into my hands, but still not very happy about it. Reason though for keeping it is the size. Really handy, good ergonomics and a joy to use. Sharpness as such is more than good enough, but the looks or the colours I do find a bit dull. My best pictures taken with it are in black & white.

I guess if I were a more frequent 90 user (have the Elmarit-M i silver which is fantastic, but also heavy... ;-), I guess I would also look at the slim Tele-Elmarit for travelling.

Good look!

I have used both the 90 C Elmar as well as the 90 tele-elmarit (thin version). Started with the C Elmar - nice, light, easy to use. But when I found the Tele elmarit to be basically the same size and weight, it was an easy decision to switch the C Elmar for the T Elmarit. No regrets.  I believe both flare quite easily and both can use the C Elmar's rubber hood. I like the rubber hood - it's small, light and collapsible, not need to remove it at all.  I would say if you can find a decently priced tele elmarit, go for it - they aren't very expensive (for now).

Irwin Puts speaks highly of the C-elmar.

I spent many years with an Elmar 3-element (from the late 1960s). It was wonderful until it was stolen. It is light, and it produces wonderfully sharp images. It has the advantages of e39 filters, it also takes the reversible shade/cap (12575), and the head comes off for use on the Visoflex, bellows etc. There are also a few around in screw mount. They are not cheap (particularly the screw mount version), but worth it. IMO the nicest of all the 90s.

Edited by Michael Hiles

Very good lens. Only flaws it flares significantly when strong light sources are just outside the frame, it has a sloping focus cam, a long focus throw and needs Series 5.5 filters. I prefer the M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE for those reasons but the Leica is built like a tank.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi again

I have asked the forum before, but got no clear answer I believe... so I ask again; can the 90 Elmar-C be focus adjusted by Leica? I know about the ¨single tube¨ construction as opposed to other Leica lenses. But physically there should be a way around this or... ;-)

Regards,

In the end I decided for a tele Elmarit. Bought a nice copy. Took some pics and I am happy. Much lighter than my Summicron pre-asph. I still have an old metal sunshade for 39mm which fits perfectly. Took a few pics on a walk in our local forest yesterday. Portrait of my gf and another woman. 😉

• 1 year later...

Entrance pupil position for this lens? If anyone of you would know please let me know. I cannot find any info for it on Internet, thank you in advance,