Q vs CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My daughter has asked for a "real camera" at this point. Her birthday is coming up.  I know that while she has handled my M9 well, it's not probably the best starting point for her.  I am thinking abobut a CL and one of the native lenses versus a Q and am looking for some input!  

Thanks

Lawrence

the cl is a wonderful camera, but the q is in a totally different league. the cl‘s files do not really offer much more than any camera‘s files at half the price or less, although the handling of the camera is phantastic. and it is really convenient to carry around, substantially smaller than the q.

The q on the other hand is a unique beast of a camera, offering a image quality compined with a shooting style, which I haven‘t found with any other camera yet. If she is really serious about photography, the q would be the best camera to get to know the craft. not beimg able to change the lens is a bonus, as beginners tend to zoom around too much anyway...

• Like 1

Given the spectrum of possibilities for "real" cameras, it's hard for me grasp Leica as a starting point.  However, if the Q and CL are the only options, then I recommend the CL to maximize flexibility.  Your daughter will need that flexibility as she gets her "real camera" sea-legs and explores her photographic capabilities beyond, I presume, her current smart phone technology...

Either way, I am excited for your daughter!  I have five (daughters, not Leicas) and can't imagine many cooler ways for them to blossom artistically.  Bravo!

- Scott

• Like 1