Take CL for long hiking trip?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going on a long hiking trip soon - more than 3 weeks of hiking about 20km+ a day. Got all my equipment figured out except of course: Camera gear!

The kit I have identified for my CL is the T23/2 and the Voigtlander 15mm with M adapter. 

I like this CL kit because it's light enough and has enough flexibility for me, has AF (for the 23/2), video capability and also panorama mode. 

Although this is essentially a hiking trip (not a photography priority trip), I would still like to take good photos along the way. I figured from previous experience that I would be shooting less than 50 shots a day (I never shoot alot even on photography-specific trips anyway).

My question for your collective wisdom and advice is:

- do I take this CL kit along OR

- do I take my M10 with two small primes (will be about the same weight) OR

another camera kit (although I really prefer not to buy any new gear just for this trip)?

I'm not too worried about theft or damage as I am insured and very careful with my gear.

What do you guys think?

I reckon the lighter the better. I have done this with a Leica M camera and two lenses, a 24 and 35. I also took a 50 once but didn't use it as often. 35 is my go-to lens for travel. I wonder if the 15 would be too wide but it depends where you'e going and the scenery. 

CL with 23 (35 in the old money) plus one other lens would also be handy. 

Do watch out for weather, including wind when you're changing  lenses. 

g2van,   You might get a lot of replies with your post and everyone will tell you something different.   With my many years with Leica and decades of hiking to remote locations, I found the M system to be the best.  For short 5 KM +/- hikes, I take my S007 and a couple S lenses that I know will work for my landscapes and environment.  For long-distance hikes, I take the M10-P and two primes, a 24mm Elmar, 35mm Summarit and occasionally substitute the 35 with a 50mm Apo-Summicron.  Included in both cases with the M or S systems, are a tripod and a couple filters.  Lightweight, compact, M body weather resistant and aforementioned M lenses are most excellent for resolution of detail and other factors for landscape photography.  I did own the CL system at one time, but I found my clients didn't like the photographs as much and they vote with their wallets.  With the M10-P kit, I can hike 20-30KM a day with my gear.  Being 65 also has something to do with it too.  IMO, creating the photograph with either system that gets the viewer to: Stop, Look, Think and if possible Feel something for that moment in time, makes for not only an enjoyable photographic moment for you, but the content of your photographs is what really should matter most, not the camera.  Have a great hiking trip.  r/ Mark

I would take the gear “as heavy as I can carry”, as Ansel Adams put it. For me, there is no other pleasure than photography when I decide for a hike in the mountains, landscape photography would be my only reason to do it in the first place. However, the M10 would do perfect with with my lightest lenses, for instance the 15mm cv, the Elmar-M 50mm amd the 35 Summicron iv. I would not stand on taking the 15mm though, because stitching a few shots from the 50 gives way more resolution. I would like to come home with photo’s that I can always print large if they turn out good enough. 

Edited by otto.f

Have you thought about batteries?  The CL isn't very long-legged.  If you bring along a backup battery which holds enough Watt-hours to charge the CL battery a dozen times, and use a charger that takes its input power from a USB-A connection, this problem goes away.  That would weigh about the same as the CV15 model 3 and its adapter.

• Like 1

If you're hiking with everything on your back that you need for three weeks, including camping equipment, then (IMO) size and weight should take priority. I would take one CL body and one lens - in my case that would be a zoom: 11-23 or 18-56, though going just with your 23mm would be good as well *. I have just spent a week hiking with everything on my back except for sleeping and cooking: I would have taken the same stuff if I was going for three weeks. I had a backpack for everything except the camera, which lived in a small bag (camera + 2 lenses) over my shoulder, hanging at my front. I found it didn't get in the way, kept the cameras safe, and allowed quick access.

I used to have the M system, and found it distinctly larger and heavier for hiking, and usually didn't take a second lens. With the CL I took the both 11-23 and 18-56, but now I would take the 11-23 and 60TL.

* Remember that you never have the right lens with you (it's the fundamental law of photography), so picking just one prime ought not to be a problem - to a good photographer😉.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

* Remember that you never have the right lens with you (it's the fundamental law of photography), so picking just one prime ought not to be a problem - to a good photographer😉.

Hate this law but it's so true!!!!

I have the 11-23 but it's just too big and heavy. Have tried it on practice hikes, won't work for me. 

CL battery: carrying just one extra battery. Won't need more than that, I don't shoot a lot on hiking trips. 

My alternate M10 kit would be Minolta 40/2 and CV 21/4. Both tiny and tested. 

Thanks for all the advice so far. Please keep them coming! 

I would probably add a 50 or 60mm along with the kit, but I always over pack lenses. I would also do 4 batteries as the CL runs out of juice always at the wrong time, never go out with out at least a second battery. I would generally hike with my M2s with a 35 and 85 lens, at times pack a miniscule Canon 25mm. 

Here is my choice, probably because of the type of photography I enjoy: I'd take the CL with the 23mm f2 + the 60mm f2.8 macro. I recently went hiking and my 60mm macro gave me beautiful flowers and it was also a nice tele to compliment the 23mm wide. I would also take 2 spare batteries. 

I have been experimenting with what to take on a hike, and on my recent hike in Aspen, I took my CL with 23mm, 35mm 60mm macro and 55 - 135mm zoom. I ended up using the 23 and 60 quite a bit, and did not use the 35mm or the 55-135 at all.  Hope this helps your decision. Have a wonderful hike and photo trip.

Hmm a 50mm or 60mm as a tele. Never really thought of that as I am not much of a tele shooter. I find I like using wide angle lenses for landscape.  I should try a tele during my training hikes.  But I really cannot bring more than 2 small lenses because I am carrying everything for my hike on my back everyday moving from town to town.

I'd take the CL with CV 10mm and my old Leica 35 'Lux. Add four batteries, a Wasabi dual BPDC12 USB battery charger, and two backup USB chargers. I carry that kit in a small sling bag when bicycling every day, up to 20-25 miles a day. It's not overly heavy and it makes great photos. 

I have a different attitude on lenses. Whatever lens I have with me is always the right lens. I never have the wrong lens with me that way. :D

• Like 1

Ok an illustration of what a 55 can do for you. Admittedly this was taken with my Nikon D300 and a 55 Micro Nikkor before I had the CL also a an APSc sensor. I was carrying a 24mm on the camera at the time, the mountain range in the background wasn't prominent enough with the 24, so my next step was the 55mm I also tried my zoom at 70mm but that was too much. This is the confluence of the Missouri river in Montana, just below where Lewis and Clark camped, they were on the Jefferson river to the right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I have day hiked with my CL many times and the only lens I take is the 18-56. This way I do not need to change the lens and I can carry it in a very small pouch or holster type bag. My holster is very small and has room for extra batteries which I have about six of. I do not carry all six. FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

You may have already started your hike, but... Last year, I hiked 1,600 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) averaging 25-30 miles per day. I took my CL and TL 23 and was happy with that simple kit. This focal length was more than satisfactory. I had no camera strap and stored it carefully in a fanny pack to protect against the elements, yet give me quick access. My total base weight including all backpacking gear and camera was 9 lbs. I only had one battery and charger and just pretended like the old days of 36 exposures. With food, I averaged total weight of 15 lbs and only exceeded 20 lbs twice during a couple of 6 day stretches between resupplies. When thru-hiking, weight is critical to making progress. I hiked from dawn to dusk. I would do the same setup again, even though my favorite lens is the TL 35.