Leica Q 116 or Leica Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just purchased my Q a few weeks back but I long debated between the Q, Q2, A7rii, A7iii,A7Riii + lenses, and the Fuji X-T3 + lenses. All different cameras for different purposes. I love how the Q works for my photography, which is a blend of street, landscape, artistic, and kids running around.

My logic was this: I can purchase the Q today used for less than what I would spend on all the other systems I was looking at (Q at $2600 vs A7iii + lenses at $3500 vs X-T3 + lenses at $3000). If after a few months it wasn't working for my needs, I could sell it and change over to the Sony or Fuji system without losing much $. If in the event in a year or so the Q2 comes down in price used to a manageable level and I'm still loving everything about the Q, I could upgrade to the Q2, or not.

A few points I've found after using the Q for a little bit:

- I do wish the tracking and face detect auto focus on the Q was better, but I've learned from my past outdated setups (Nikon D7000) to work without it. It's honestly pretty terrible after using a few Sony's, but after learning how to use the camera, the autofocus is tack sharp and very quick.

- I find 24mp plenty at the 28mm length, but cropping to 50 really needs more resolution, which the Q2 would solve, but not sure if I would want to deal with 47mp files (computer processing, storage, etc. I have these 2 lens adapters I used to use on my 35mm prime, a 0.6x and 2.2x adapter. Tried both on the Q and they sort of work but the distortion is pretty bad sharpness is terrible anywhere but the center. May be useful at times but not really.

- I do wish the Q was weather sealed in some way. I bring my camera everywhere with me, snowboarding, hiking, traveling, etc. I'll have to be much more careful with the Q.

- The size of the Q and Q2 really are HUGE points for me as carrying around less gear/weight means more time to enjoy the moment and not have to worry about setting up the perfect shot.

I'm pretty much in love with the Q now, so opinions may be biased a little, but all the pictures I've taken so far in the past few weeks have been amazing and exactly what I've been trying to achieve for a while now.

Best of luck with your Q!