Jump to content

New Safari


ldhrads
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Returned from a week in Germany on Sunday, while there I visited Wetzlar and after a lot of "deciding" I decided to add an M10-P to my lineup.  They had a silver chrome, said it would be 4 hours until a black would be available at the store.  I didn't have a lot of time and queried wether they had a Safari, yes, they had one, sealed outer box.  After a moment of introspection I whipped out the credit card and away I went.  I didn't unpack it at the store, and the customs people took the inner box out of the outer box only, didn't open any further until yesterday when I had gotten home and rested.  

During unpack I failed to find a users manual in the packaging, not the end of the world, but surprising.

During first testing I noted that one of the red LEDs in the viewfinder only worked when aimed a strong light.  So shutter speeds are not quite accurately represented. It's not the whole number, just one of the "legs" that make up the numbers.  Somewhat disappointed by this after watching the care that is taken to manufacture!

I've reached out by email to the salesperson who has not yet responded. 

Any suggestions?

Otherwise, it's a real step up from my M9-P which I will not get rid of though!

 

Lawrence

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ldhrads said:

 They had a silver chrome, said it would be 4 hours until a black would be available at the store. 

That made me chuckle.  I guess the black would still have been warm, fresh off the line!

I was handling the M10P Safari in a dealership at the weekend. It's lovely. Congratulations on your purchase and I hope the issue isn't a fault with your camera.  Everything should be equal brightness in the M10 display.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ldhrads said:

During unpack I failed to find a users manual in the packaging, not the end of the world, but surprising.

Leica no longer includes a printed manual with a new camera. It will supply a printed manual, free of charge, to a camera owner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, ldhrads said:

I've fiddled with it a bit, and will some more, not sure where the brightness detector window is so I will look at the manual, it's just one segment of one of the LEDs, soooo frustrating!

 

I am sorry that you appear to be having problems with your new camera Idhrads, that's very frustrating. I understand the time constraints you mention you were in at Leica but frankly if I was buying from a store, or Leica's retail store in Wetzlar as you did, I would never accept a camera without at least opening the box and looking it over. Certainly not an expensive purchase like a Leica camera. What would that have taken, 15 minutes?...............Ordering by mail and having something shipped too has it's risks of course but that's generally "in country" and anything faulty can be replaced within a few days, or at least should be. But anyway I wish you luck with the camera, the M10 in whatever iteration is truly a fine piece of kit and I hope that Leica USA sorts out any wrinkles for you ASAP, otherwise I'd demand a full refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please no reproaches. You can check a toaster or a vacuum cleaner in a short time. But - for instance - my Sony A6500 has so many possibilities, that I have not tried all after a year time. 

idhrads has bought the camera in the factory. Better is not possible. It should be ok without opening the case.

One cannot expect returned goods, that are not checked, in the Leica-homeland.

Edited by jankap
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, petermullett said:

 I hope that Leica USA sorts out any wrinkles for you ASAP, otherwise I'd demand a full refund.

As the camera was bought in Germany I doubt Leica USA will help, it would probably be considered as a 'grey import' and the OP will have to return it direct to Wetzlar for repair, unless Leica Germany ask Leica USA to handle it (worth asking the question). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

As the camera was bought in Germany I doubt Leica USA will help, it would probably be considered as a 'grey import' and the OP will have to return it direct to Wetzlar for repair, unless Leica Germany ask Leica USA to handle it (worth asking the question). 

With my experience with Leica USA, it's better to go through Wetzlar. It will cost you one day each direction of shipping, but save months of service time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jankap said:

Please no reproaches. You can check a toaster or a vacuum cleaner in a short time. But - for instance - my Sony A6500 has so many possibilities, that I have not tried all after a year time. 

idhrads has bought the camera in the factory. Better is not possible. It should be ok without opening the case.

One cannot expect returned goods, that are not checked, in the Leica-homeland.

with respect the M10 is nothing like the Sony A6500 or indeed many other modern digital cameras with their deep menus and often complicated optional configurations, I am not surprised that you are still discovering more "possibilities" with the Sony. The "fault" that ldhrads found with the viewfinder display LED's seems to have been discovered very quickly on unpacking the M10, probably quick enough to to have noticed in the store if it was checked out there.  Anyway I hope that if indeed it does require attention Leica NJ will step up and honour what is I believe basically a world wide warranty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We assume that Leica charge premium on the premise of selling the hand assembled and perhaps final inspected product, they usually provide signed piece of paper with each piece of equipment. Another example that goes to show that they don't quiet stick to that QC premise.  Reading the OP  i thought Lawrence was going to say that when he opened the box it was empty.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I should think that a Leica inspector could at least hold the camera viewfinder to his eye once to see if it lights up properly. Such an incident makes me wonder what else they fudged.

And about testing - the M10 line has a port under the base-plate that according to one person here is strictly for service purposes. Is it even used at all? (It would not help with the OP's case which is simple enough to check.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, I kick myself for not taking it out in the store, it would have taken 15 minutes or so, and I would have saved myself the annoyance at this time.  I'm working through this with Leica.  In the meantime, it works fine otherwise and is a beautiful piece of equipment!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have no reason to expect problems with a new high quality camera, but seeing some of the stuff that manages to slip past Leica QC I'd have definitely opened the box first! 

Also you'd have realised the lack of a printed handbook and could have asked for one at the same time. Benefit of hindsight! 

Sounds like they will need to replace the LED unit if a part of it is faulty, which should be simple enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2019 at 7:06 AM, ldhrads said:

Returned from a week in Germany on Sunday, while there I visited Wetzlar and after a lot of "deciding" I decided to add an M10-P to my lineup.  They had a silver chrome, said it would be 4 hours until a black would be available at the store.  I didn't have a lot of time and queried wether they had a Safari, yes, they had one, sealed outer box.  After a moment of introspection I whipped out the credit card and away I went.  I didn't unpack it at the store, and the customs people took the inner box out of the outer box only, didn't open any further until yesterday when I had gotten home and rested.  

During unpack I failed to find a users manual in the packaging, not the end of the world, but surprising.

During first testing I noted that one of the red LEDs in the viewfinder only worked when aimed a strong light.  So shutter speeds are not quite accurately represented. It's not the whole number, just one of the "legs" that make up the numbers.  Somewhat disappointed by this after watching the care that is taken to manufacture!

I've reached out by email to the salesperson who has not yet responded. 

Any suggestions?

Otherwise, it's a real step up from my M9-P which I will not get rid of though!

 

Lawrence

BTW, did you have to pay duty on bringing it into the US?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am 6.8.2019 um 15:57 schrieb pico:

I should think that a Leica inspector could at least hold the camera viewfinder to his eye once to see if it lights up properly.

I should think that this is a case for customer service. Or, perhaps some engineers here can fix it over the air. 😂

Am 6.8.2019 um 15:57 schrieb pico:

Such an incident makes me wonder what else they fudged.

I’m sure there’ll be a post about that, too. Just be patient. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow up on this thread, I sent these pics to the very helpful salesperson at the Leica store in Wetzlar, he then passed them on to customer service in Germany.  This morning I was contacted by Leica NJ. They have sent me a prepaid label to send the camera in and will expedite repairs. 

On another note, I was shooting some horses yesterday with the M10-P and my first generation M Monochrom.  Wow! what a difference in shutter sound!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...