My first Leica Q. Designing a case.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to update this after several months. I'm still using version 2 of the 3D printed case. It has been through everything including hikes, road trips, daily shooting, family stuff. Definitely less than pre-quarantine, but still used quite a bit. 

I've made some refinements and plan to print a new case in the coming weeks.

Minor changes for this V3 are:

- Reducing the round size of the corners

- Reducing wall thickness from 3mm to 2mm

- Adding a hole for the focus LED

- Adding more room around the on/off switch

- Removing the Leica script branding on the top cover plate

- Adding more space around the rear buttons and increasing the cutout size

- Adding in interior cutouts for felt material to sit against the Q body

- Removing the leash strap ring on the bottom of the case

I'll be printing the new case using PET-G instead of PLA, so durability should be better than before (not that I ever dropped it). The eventual plan is still to have the case machined out of aluminum and anodized black to match the OE Leica Q finish, but that will wait until the design has been completely finalized.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by syam
  • Like 2

Uploaded the files to my Thingiverse page.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4457464https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4457464

I'll continually be making changes to the case over time so if there are any suggestions, please post here so we can start a discussion.

Big changes that I want to make in the future:

- Add an ARCA plate adapter

- Add finger cutouts for the front hand grip

- Redo the lip/groove features

- Add some snap hooks so the top and bottom halves click together

- Print again using PET-G and soluble support

- Eventually CNC out of aluminum (2mm wall thickness) and hard anodize matte black.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

such a great idea!

Probably an absurd question: How feasible is a full body cover that only leaves the lens opening, shutter button and display uncovered? Sometimes, when it snows or drizzles, it would be nice to prepare the settings indoors, put on a cover and go out to shoot.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, syam said:

Uploaded the files to my Thingiverse page.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4457464https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4457464

I'll continually be making changes to the case over time so if there are any suggestions, please post here so we can start a discussion.

Big changes that I want to make in the future:

- Add an ARCA plate adapter

- Add finger cutouts for the front hand grip

- Redo the lip/groove features

- Add some snap hooks so the top and bottom halves click together

- Print again using PET-G and soluble support

- Eventually CNC out of aluminum (2mm wall thickness) and hard anodize matte black.

Edited by fm13

Basically a good project and i am sure some people would use it.

What i suggest is to drop the milled aluminum or brass housing for price, shock absorbtion and weight reasons and use a reasonable soft plastic
with a good haptic feeling to keep or expand the high quality finish and appearance of a Leica camera.

Chris

5 hours ago, fm13 said:

such a great idea!

Probably an absurd question: How feasible is a full body cover that only leaves the lens opening, shutter button and display uncovered? Sometimes, when it snows or drizzles, it would be nice to prepare the settings indoors, put on a cover and go out to shoot.

Hey fm13, A full body cover with only the necessities exposed would not be difficult to design and print, but at the same time would probably provide little real protection. My reasoning is the seams around the shutter, being on the top, is most likely the highest risk for ingress, along with the moving parts of the lens.

I've toyed with the idea of doing this with actual seals and 'press through' rubber buttons but have a ton on my plate for work and other side projects.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Basically a good project and i am sure some people would use it.

What i suggest is to drop the milled aluminum or brass housing for price, shock absorbtion and weight reasons and use a reasonable soft plastic
with a good haptic feeling to keep or expand the high quality finish and appearance of a Leica camera.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input. I have not toyed around with the idea of 3D printing in a flexible material, but that would be a good idea for texture/feel and also weight. The only issue would be securing the top and bottom halves together and/or designing it to stretch open. If I get time in the future I may try to design for these considerations and also experiment with flexible filaments and/or other 3D printing technologies that do not break the bank.

As an aside, I've been taking fewer pictures the past 6 months, but the Q has still been stellar every time I use it. I've been using the same 3D printed case from several months back and it's been great. I do have several improvements in mind but being busy at work, buying a new old house, life has left me with very little time for additional side projects.

Edited by syam
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...