How tough is the Q/Q2? Hard bump question...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I was recently out shooting at night and I tripped and fell, landing on my leg and arm but also giving my Q2 a damn good knock. It hit the upper right of the lens hood only but left a small dent and scratch on the hood. Camera has been normal, there was not malfunction even (I’m ok too :) ) but I’m curious if there might be “unseen” damage I should be concerned about with the sensor alignment, focus, etc. If it was my M I’d see the RF out of alignment if it was but since this is auto focus I don’t know how to test. 

Fwiw I have shot a bunch of test images with spot focus, wide open at f/1.7 and as far as I can tell it’s focusing fine (as should a contrast focus system). I know Leica build quality is outstanding, but I’m curious if I’m missing anything.

Has anyone else knocked, bumped, or dropped their Q(2)? If so, what happened and did it impact the image quality or operation at all?

Did similar with my Q2 a week ago.  My knee looks a lot worse than my lens hood (scratched bu no dent) :o - camera seems fine though.  Makes a good reason for keeping the case on and the hood on!  If yours has a dent, check to make sure it still can thread off.

Well I did an unscientific focus test, I used spot focus on a sign--I attached a 100% sample--and focused on the top of the crown at f/1.7 and the focus looks spot on. So looks like I can say the Q2 is built like a nice little tank...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevegoldenberg said:

Well I did an unscientific focus test, I used spot focus on a sign--I attached a 100% sample--and focused on the top of the crown at f/1.7 and the focus looks spot on. So looks like I can say the Q2 is built like a nice little tank...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't think that this photo proves anything to be honest.

Can you please read this article and do the test? Let us know about the results.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/camera-af-microadjustment/#AF_test_image

You may not be able to "adjust" the autofocus as the Q does not provide such a menu option but at least you will be able to test the accuracy.

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zampelis said:

Can you please read this article and do the test? Let us know about the results.

You may not be able to "adjust" the autofocus as the Q does not provide such a menu option but at least you will be able to test the accuracy.

Great site, Dimitrios: thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, zampelis said:

Very useful for cameras using phase detect AF on a separate chip, but not relevant for the Q2 or any camera with contest detect AF.  If AF is working at all, it will work everywhere.

As far as “unseen damage” that Inwould be concerned about... There isn’t much, really. The most likely problem as long as everything appears to be working is lens element de-centering.  Shoot a flat subject (or a distant one) at f/2.8 or so to see if all 4 corners are equally/reasonably sharp.  They should be the same.

3 hours ago, Jared said:

Very useful for cameras using phase detect AF on a separate chip, but not relevant for the Q2 or any camera with contest detect AF.  If AF is working at all, it will work everywhere.

As far as “unseen damage” that Inwould be concerned about... There isn’t much, really. The most likely problem as long as everything appears to be working is lens element de-centering.  Shoot a flat subject (or a distant one) at f/2.8 or so to see if all 4 corners are equally/reasonably sharp.  They should be the same.

Thanks for pointing about the phase detection bit. It doesn't matter though as the testing pattern can be used for contrast detection. It is not about detecting if the auto focus work at all but about the misalignment of the lens. The circular patterns that are created on the camera if you hold it 1-2 feet away from your screen can very easily indicate if there is a lens misalignment. I you hold the camera square to the screen, they need to be symmetrical in both x and y axis. Be careful though because it can get quite sensitive even on small misalignments, that's why it is suggested to use a tripod.

Lens in general with any type of auto focus are quite complicated and Q has some extra complications due to the macro mode switch and to the auto focus locking mechanism. I dropped my first Q and I thought that everything worked fine until I realised that there was a clicking noise on the auto focus tab and the internal lens barrel was a bit wobbly. That was a clear indication of lens misalignment. And it wasn't even a hard fall.. I placed my foot under it before the fall and it ended up on a carpeted floor! 

Edited by zampelis