How do the Panasonic Lumix S cameras stack up for you?

iiiNelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realized that there was an open leg of the questions about OIS vs IBIS that I was testing on an S1R with the Leica 90-280 yesterday.  I forgot to see how well the Leica OIS did on a Leica platform.  So this evening I tried the same shot, same not very stable posture, same shooter, with an SL.  The answer is that the stabilization felt a little different on the SL (it came in more sharply when I half-pressed), and it worked a bit better.  Instead of 2 stops OIS, I got 2.5 to 3 stops.  With the SL, I could handhold 1/f (1/250 ) without OIS and with OIS I got it down to a solid 1/50 sec and most of the time it was sharp at 1/30.  Since this is a test with 24 MPx it should not be compared to the previous tests at 48 MPx, but the bottom line is that not all of what makes OIS happen is inside the lens.  Some of it is firmware in the camera, and this may not be the same in the Lumix and Leica L-mount cameras.

Hello all,

chiming in with some questions here:

Has anyone shot any video with the S1 or S1R ? 

Is IBIS functionning only with L mount lenses ? 

Can one check focus by magnifying  into a shot whilst shooting video like on some Sony cameras?

Thanks, Jean-Marc.

13 hours ago, JMF said:

Hello all,

chiming in with some questions here:

Has anyone shot any video with the S1 or S1R ? 

Is IBIS functionning only with L mount lenses ? 

Can one check focus by magnifying  into a shot whilst shooting video like on some Sony cameras?

Thanks, Jean-Marc.

I've shot a little video with the S1R, and the default quality is good.  Here's a quick example: https://flic.kr/p/2gFJKRb .  The S1 is more video-oriented, with codec upgrades for internal 10-bit recording promised sometime soon.

IBIS works for any lens.  If the lens doesn't communicate its focal length through the L-mount protocol, there is a little dialog that appears to let you enter its focal length.  IBIS is available for both stills and video, with some hybrid options possible in video, but I haven't tried them.

focus magnification works for still shooting when the AF control is set to M,.  If you turn the manual focus ring on an L lens, the image is magnified.  Do the same thing while shooting video, and nothing special happens except that you see a rather crude distance scale on the screen.  So I guess the answer to the third question is NO.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have bought an S1R mainly to use with my M lenses. I have at last reached the holy grail of M glass with IBIS. The manual focusing with that great viewfinder is spot on with minimal focus peaking.

I also have the 24-105 as they came as a very attractivelly priced package. No problems so far with AF but there is a steep learning curve to get the best out of the body. Fortunately Panasonic have a great article on how to use the AF effectively.  

The new firmware has helped as well. The AF shows promise and new firmware to come can only improve this.

The files produced are really very good and the perceived quality of the body is up to the very best standards.

Go on try the S1R you may well be very pleasantly surprised.

https--www.panasonic.com-content-dam-Panasonic-Global-Learn-More-lumix-af-guidebook-LUMIX_AF_Guideb….webloc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1