Leica Noob - Adapter Help Please (first time here)

Phil1066

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kia Ora,

Being a complete noob to the Leica ecosystem (Leica SL coming soon) I'm doing some research and getting to know the terminology and possibilities etc. I wanted to know if there are any recommendations around adapters for the following please:

Nikon MF to Leica SL (L Mount?)

Nikon AF to ditto

Canon AF to ditto

Sony AF to ditto

Sony MF to ditto

I'm leaving the Sony system and have some adapted Canon glass (via Sigma MC11), as well as native mount lenses both AF and MF (Voigtlander), as well as a Nikon mount Voigtlander. Just wondered what my options were, along with perhaps getting a Leica M mount adapter for it.

Appreciate any advise etc. p.s. I did do some searching in here, but there were so many threads and some of them very long, plus recent issues ala Novoflex etc.

cheers

Edited by Phil1066

For MF, the generic inexpensive adapters, on eBay for example, work fine. Just test they focus to infinity. A few years ago perhaps one out of ten did not; today the ratio is much less.

You set the aperture on the lens (make sure it has an aperture ring!) and configure the camera to juggle shutter speed and ISO (you can dial in exposure compensation), or configure it to leave one or both of those to you for each shot. The Exif data will have no data or inaccurate entries for aperture and focal length, so keep notes if you want a record.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, CharlesL said:

For MF, the generic inexpensive adapters, on eBay for example, work fine. Just test they focus to infinity. A few years ago perhaps one out of ten did not; today the ratio is much less.

You set the aperture on the lens (make sure it has an aperture ring!) and configure the camera to juggle shutter speed and ISO (you can dial in exposure compensation), or configure it to leave one or both of those to you for each shot. The Exif data will have no data or inaccurate entries for aperture and focal length, so keep notes if you want a record.

Many thanks for the info. Have you tried the Leica branded adapter? and how does it compare? is the only benefit EXIF data?

5 hours ago, Phil1066 said:

Thanks - are these now working again? I had read reports that the latest firmware update on SL had stopped this?

It works on lenses I have 35/1.4 II, 85/1.2 II and 135/2, I can't say on any other lenses. Yes, it sometimes hunt longer than I expected, I normally switch to manual focusing if needed.

• Like 1