First Leica, M10-p: Which 35mm lens?

stirner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am purchasing my first Leica! The M10-p.
I was wondering which lens should I go with (current version brand new), the 35mm Summilux or 35mm Summicron.

I do not consider the $ what so ever. Why go with one over the other? Is the Summilux strictly better but a matter of $$?
Mostly street & reportage-style photography

"Better" depends on so many things ...

I have a bunch (which changes with my need/want) of 35mm lenses Leica or not.

No lens is "better" than another one.

I fear that the Summilux-M lens is not better than Summicron-M, if we consider from F/2 onward.

If we need the F/1.4, the Summilux-M is infinitely better than Summicron-M.

We can count thousands ( if millions ?) of good pictures (also as many "craps" ) from Summicron, also true for Summilux or what ever lens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since you're new to the game and $ is no object just go with a Summichron. I've had both and after using them I preferred the Chron. If you can, get to a dealer and try both - hands on...ergonomics are important, especially if you're a street shooter where you may want light weight and need to react quickly, without carefully considering composition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Better is a subjective term. 

Think “different”.

Street and reportage would push me toward Summicron.

The 35 Summicron would be a very good choice for street & reportage work. 

the 35 Summilux would be a good choice if you tend to work in low light a lot or if you like even more shallow DOF than the Summicron can give you.  Keep in mind the increased weight of the Summilux, which may be a liability for lengthy street photography outings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stirner said:

It's the drawing avatar of Max Stirner, a german philosopher.

😉

Thanks,

Stirner wrote:

" The worker is counted as the most materialistic and egoistic human being. He does nothing at all for humanity;

he does everything for himself for his welfare. "

The Unique and Its Property

Coming to our topic again ...

I'd choose Summicron also for my first M10.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Currently there's three 35 mm M lenses: Summilux-M 35 mm Asph, Summicron-M 35 mm Asph, and Summarit-M 35 mm Asph. All three are equally good in terms of resolution, sharpness, and rendition. There's only one weakness: the Summicron's inclination to flare. That's why I'd choose any 35 mm except the Summicron—albeit it's an excellent lens otherwise. By the way, basically the same applies to the 50 mm M lenses.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 12:29 PM, stirner said:

I am purchasing my first Leica! The M10-p.
I was wondering which lens should I go with (current version brand new), the 35mm Summilux or 35mm Summicron.

I do not consider the $ what so ever. Why go with one over the other? Is the Summilux strictly better but a matter of $$?
Mostly street & reportage-style photography

35mm would be a good choice 

4 hours ago, 01af said:

Currently there's three 35 mm M lenses: Summilux-M 35 mm Asph, Summicron-M 35 mm Asph, and Summarit-M 35 mm Asph. All three are equally good in terms of resolution, sharpness, and rendition. There's only one weakness: the Summicron's inclination to flare. That's why I'd choose any 35 mm except the Summicron—albeit it's an excellent lens otherwise. By the way, basically the same applies to the 50 mm M lenses.

The Summarit is also absent focus shift, which affects some Summicron examples (although not extreme and easy to work around). 

Jeff

• Like 1

My vote for the Summilux 35. I have the Summicron and Summilux 35 but find myself using the Summilux more often. I found that the slightly larger diameter of the Summilux lens barrel makes it easier to focus.

Both are great lens though, so whichever one you choose, you will be very happy.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1