Firmware 1.1 released

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Overpowered by Funk said:

When products are tested things get missed because they cannot account for every possible situation users will put the product through. That doesn't make us beta testers.

Right. A written feature is tested anyway?

Edited by AnikiMu

This seemed to be primarily a remedial firmware update, not a genuinely strategic enhancement.  But I largely agree with "smogg" that this was mainly "useless".  I also have to admit that after several months of usage my enthusiasm for the Q2 is dwindling.  It's more limited and awkward than other cameras for what it does.  It hasn't significantly moved forward from the original Q model in any practical sense.  Sorry to sound a bit grumpy about the camera but I'm just being honestly frank.

5 minutes ago, KenTanaka said:

I also have to admit that after several months of usage my enthusiasm for the Q2 is dwindling.  It's more limited and awkward than other cameras for what it does.  It hasn't significantly moved forward from the original Q model in any practical sense.  Sorry to sound a bit grumpy about the camera but I'm just being honestly frank.

I don't consider you grumpy, just forthright in your user experience. I too am underwhelmed by the Q2. It doesn't offer any substantive enhancements in the user experience. Yes the IP52 weather sealing is welcomed but there any several negatives that hold the Q2 back from greatness. Several of these can be addressed via firmware updates so there is the limited possibility the Q2 can be "improved".

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m pleased that the unreadable files bug has been squashed and not surprised that no new features have been added so soon after the introduction of the camera. Users are an impatient lot and these things take time. What I would like to see is a better beta program. Hasselblad recently stated that they will wait to release products until they are ready. This could be just marketing jabber but I think not. They have learned from rushing buggy products to market and have said never again. This is the attitude to have especially in the high end market. 

I have been banging the drum for more beta testers and trying different people. Some testers state proudly that they are not reviewers they just try the features to make sure the camera works. Give the cameras to dedicated Leica reviewers and people that have experience in beta testing other products ( as long as they have Leica experience). I was talking to a Leica Store manager 2 weeks ago about an issue and he stated “ Leica users expect more than most users “. With the premium price comes premium expectations. Yes Leica is a small company but it has a lot of dedicated users who would be willing to help make their products as good as they can be. 

• Like 1

“ Leica users expect more than most users “

Actually, after upteen years as a "Leica user" I'd posit that just the opposite is true, Jeff.  Leica owners shrug when their cameras' basic features lag the markets by years, as they always do.  As a small non-functional example, just before writing this reply I applied my second firmware update to a Leica camera, my CL, this week.  Like the Q2 update (and, if I recall correctly, my M10P and all digital Ms I've owned) it resulted in a clean-slate state with all settings reset to factory defaults.  Who else does this regularly?  Not my Fuji's.  Not my Sony's.  Not my Canon's.  Grrrr.

I really don't want to start a scuffle.  Just blowing steam to my fellow Leica owners.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, KenTanaka said:

“ Leica users expect more than most users “

Actually, after upteen years as a "Leica user" I'd posit that just the opposite is true, Jeff.  Leica owners shrug when their cameras' basic features lag the markets by years, as they always do.  As a small non-functional example, just before writing this reply I applied my second firmware update to a Leica camera, my CL, this week.  Like the Q2 update (and, if I recall correctly, my M10P and all digital Ms I've owned) it resulted in a clean-slate state with all settings reset to factory defaults.  Who else does this regularly?  Not my Fuji's.  Not my Sony's.  Not my Canon's.  Grrrr.

I really don't want to start a scuffle.  Just blowing steam to my fellow Leica owners.

First the quote is from a Leica Store manager who has been in the biz for a while. He talks to a few users. We all have opinions but we might agree he has more direct knowledge of what a lot of users think. I’m just quoting him because his opinion fits my world view.

Second I thought less features is one of the reasons that is often quoted as to why so many switch to and prefer Leica. I prefer the limited menus of a Leica to the pages and pages on other cameras. Leica’s have the basic features, what is missing is the advanced features. I agree with you that there are various strong opinions on what should or should not be added to the feature list  

Third on the firmware updates if firmware instructions are followed you can reload profiles.

Please follow these steps to install the new firmware for your Leica Q2 camera:

5. Press “Yes” to confirm and start the process;
a. You should save your current profiles to the SD card before proceeding with the update.
b. Wait until the update installation is completed.
c. Restart the camera; do not eject the SD card.
d. Please load your last saved profiles from the SD card after the first startup.

As far as other brands go, people pick apart everything. 

And must say not offended at all by remarks, we all have different experiences so all opinions are valid. 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:49 AM, KenTanaka said:

This seemed to be primarily a remedial firmware update, not a genuinely strategic enhancement.  But I largely agree with "smogg" that this was mainly "useless".  I also have to admit that after several months of usage my enthusiasm for the Q2 is dwindling.  It's more limited and awkward than other cameras for what it does.  It hasn't significantly moved forward from the original Q model in any practical sense.  Sorry to sound a bit grumpy about the camera but I'm just being honestly frank.

Nothing wrong with an honest opinion, even a negative one.  I agree that the fixed focal length is, obviously, limited.  In what other ways are you disappointed?  You said it’s more awkward than other cameras.  In what way?  For me, it’s about the least awkward camera I have ever owned.  Very intuitive and simple to override.  That’s the thing I like most about it.

As far as not moving forward from the original Q, I can't say I agree.  My perspective is more that they managed not to mess up what was right about the Q and make some necessary improvements along the way.  Certainly it is evolutionary not revolutionary, but I greatly enjoy the new viewfinder, improved weather sealing, and think the new chip has improved flexibility tremendously.  From a practical standpoint, I really can use it as a 28mm-70mm f/1.7 - 4 lens with dramatically less bulk than my SL. 

I used to use my SL with the APS-C kit zoom from the TL as a “carry around” camera for travel.  10 MP is plenty for most uses.  I can now do effectively the same with the Q2.  

• Like 1

I find it quite encouraging that the Firmware 3.1 for the CL has added a focus lock feature making back button focusing available.  If Leica did this for the CL than I am reasonably confident that a similar feature will be available for the Q2 with Firmware 2.0.  Leica heard users requests for back button focusing and followed through on the CL.  Hopefully, they heard us as well.

I’ve been a Leica user for over twenty five years...M4, M6, M6TTL, M7, M8, M9 which I still use as my primary camera after 10 years, and now the Q2. In my experience Leica has been deliberate and reliable in responding to outright bugs, as well as enhancements desired by owners. I love the Q2 and would also like back button focus, and have every confidence Leica will deliver. 

• Like 1