Sigma 45mm

The 45mm F2.8 DG DN arrived today. 
I haven’t seen any images of it attached to a TL2 so here are a couple (sans hood). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Reggie said:

The 45mm F2.8 DG DN arrived today. 
I haven’t seen any images of it attached to a TL2 so here are a couple (sans hood). 

This is compelling! These new I series lenses seem to fit great on the TL. 

PS What strap is that?

12 minutes ago, Rac1ngsnak3 said:

This is compelling! These new I series lenses seem to fit great on the TL. 

PS What strap is that?

Thanks - I'm really excited about the new lenses as well. For those who have been considering the APSC 30mm and 56mm F1.4 alternatives to the TL35 and TL60, you now have more options in the Sigma 35mm and 65mm which are of similar size and weight (or lighter!) than the Leica equivalents. Performance of the DG DN lenses is definitely better than that of the DC DN lenses. The 24mm F3.5 will also give us T/CL users an alternative to the TL23 as well.  Happy days.

Early opinion based on the various website postings of sample images is that the 24mm F3.5 is the spiritual twin to the 45mm F2.8 in terms of rendering. The 35mm and 65mm lenses are faster and sharper wide open but slightly busier than the other two.

Camerasize has the lenses in the database already;

PS - the strap is Leica's own leather strap for TL/2.

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, Reggie said:

Thanks - I'm really excited about the new lenses as well. For those who have been considering the APSC 30mm and 56mm F1.4 alternatives to the TL35 and TL60, you now have more options in the Sigma 35mm and 65mm which are of similar size and weight (or lighter!) than the Leica equivalents. Performance of the DG DN lenses is definitely better than that of the DC DN lenses. The 24mm F3.5 will also give us T/CL users an alternative to the TL23 as well.  Happy days.

Early opinion based on the various website postings of sample images is that the 24mm F3.5 is the spiritual twin to the 45mm F2.8 in terms of rendering. The 35mm and 65mm lenses are faster and sharper wide open but slightly busier than the other two.

Camerasize has the lenses in the database already;

PS - the strap is Leica's own leather strap for TL/2.

Thanks for putting together that lens comparison and strap info!

How do you like shooting w the 45? I’m trying to find a good “everyday” lens that I’ll keep on my TL2 for the majority of the time so I just have to pick up the camera and not have think about do I have enough lens or too much.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Rac1ngsnak3 said:

Thanks for putting together that lens comparison and strap info!

How do you like shooting w the 45? I’m trying to find a good “everyday” lens that I’ll keep on my TL2 for the majority of the time so I just have to pick up the camera and not have think about do I have enough lens or too much.

You're welcome. I don't have much time with the len on the TL2 as it's a Christmas gift from my wife - I put it on the camera to check that it worked before boxing it up again and it is now under the tree!

The test images I took were not taxing the lens much but I was very happy with how they came out. The lens feels nice on the camera and if the TL18 or 23 are too wide for your shooting then I can say that the Sigma 45 may be just right (if slightly long). As usual, it depends on what your style is but I can see myself leaving the Sigma 45 on the camera most of the time as a 'grab and go' combo. The only caveat I have was that AF was poor in low light - worse than my TL18 and Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN. I need to explore this more and see if camera settings played a part. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jhary said:

Thanks to all for an informative thread. I'm a new SL owner, and this 45mm seems like an excellent choice for my first autofocus lens—I have two M Summicrons right now. If I pick one up, I'll post some more samples.

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sigma 45mm is a great option for the SL as an everyday walk around lens & the size is perfect. I use it on both the CL, SL & SL2 & very pleased with the results.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, michali said:

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sigma 45mm is a great option for the SL as an everyday walk around lens & the size is perfect. I use it on both the CL, SL & SL2 & very pleased with the results.

Yeah totally agree.  My favourite lens for my SL2.

I wish Leica would make some small L mount lenses like this.  50mm 2.8 or even 3.4.  Would be amazing for people who like to shoot with more depth of field.

Edited by SiOnara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got a Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN for my recently acquired TL2.  I already have  a 18-54mm and an 11-23mm.  It's been a long time since I've had what is essentially a prime to shoot with.  Having only used tele lenses on my Panasonic G9.  The Sigma 45mm is a terrific lens, the angle of view is perfect for me, mostly street shooting.  The images so far are very clear and crisp.  All the features AF, MF, and manual aperture as well as camera driven aperture work fine.   The AF is a bit slow on its own but responds quickly to a half shutter press.  Thanks for all the great feedback here, it was the assurance I needed to try my first L-Mount on the TL2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikeLD said:

Hi, just got a Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN for my recently acquired TL2.  I already have  a 18-54mm and an 11-23mm.  It's been a long time since I've had what is essentially a prime to shoot with.  Having only used tele lenses on my Panasonic G9.  The Sigma 45mm is a terrific lens, the angle of view is perfect for me, mostly street shooting.  The images so far are very clear and crisp.  All the features AF, MF, and manual aperture as well as camera driven aperture work fine.   The AF is a bit slow on its own but responds quickly to a half shutter press.  Thanks for all the great feedback here, it was the assurance I needed to try my first L-Mount on the TL2.

Welcome to the Forum.

Agree,  Sigma's producing some terrific L mount lenses. I've recently purchased the Sigma 65mm f2 DG DN in L mount, it's in the same vein as the 45mm f2.8, compact, excellent IQ & I love the fact that like the 45mm, it's also got an aperture ring.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, elambo said:

I'm interested in this Sigma lens. Out of curiosity, what is the price of the most comparable Leica-branded lens?

The 45mm is in-between Leica sizes. Leica has a 35mm and a 60mm TL mount lens. The 45mm is also physically smaller than all but the Leica 18mm and 23mm which are more pancake lens. Sigma does sell 30mm and 56mm in the DG DN models that are for a crop sensor, no aperture ring and light weight. They have the 35mm, 45mm, 65mm in the full frame sensor models that have a aperture ring.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The 2.8/45 Sigma is excellent on the Leica SL.  I mostly use Leica M- and R-series lenses on the SL but wanted autofocus for the occasions when it helps.  I tried a Summicron-T 23 but didn't like the reduction to 11MPixel and didn't want to go to an SL2 just to get 25MPixel from the 23 lens.  The Leica SL autofocus lenses are too heavy and expensive for my needs so next step was to look at the Sigma.  This is a very good lens and notably a prime lens (based on measuring the distance from lens to sensor) comparable with M-series lenses as opposed to the front-heavy retrofocus designs.

Sample shot looking out across the English Channel.  Taken at f/2.8.

• Like 8

Another sample from the Sigma 45/2.8 taken at 2.8 on the Leica SL.  This lens draws quite well I find.  For images further away, it is already at peak sharpness by f/4 and depth of field increases until f/8 but sharpness starts to fall away at f/16 and f/22.

Thanks Marac and all for your great posts; I am absolutely amazed by the IQ I see here. Who needs the expensive Leica lenses anymore! lol

Now, the next step for Sigma would be to make a camera like SD Quattro with EVF but with FP sensor and L mount. If the rumors about Leica stopping APS-C become true, I am sure many would go to Sigma, myself included.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 6