Sigma 45mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Fran D said:

This is good news. Thanks AZach and michali. I assume that I can update the lens FW by using the same fw update procedure as I would if it was a Leica camera FW update. Is this the case?

Yes. After  doing the usual: format a card then download FW update and drag onto the card etc.

Install the card in camera & go into:  Main Menu - Pg 5 - Camera Information - Lens Firmware Version - Start Update

Edited by michali

14 minutes ago, michali said:

Yes. After  doing the usual: format a card then download FW update and drag onto the card etc.

Install the card in camera & go into:  Main Menu - Pg 5 - Camera Information - Lens Firmware Version - Start Update

Thanks so much, michali. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. I currently have the Summilux TL 35mm which on my CL produces superb images. Seeing your excellent review of the Sigma 45mm I am considering selling the Summilux and investing in Sigma which will give me more bang for my bucks. Do you have experience of comparing the Summilux 35mm with the Sigma 45mm. I would not want to sell the Summilux only to find I end up with something inferior.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Geoff B said:

Hi. I currently have the Summilux TL 35mm which on my CL produces superb images. Seeing your excellent review of the Sigma 45mm I am considering selling the Summilux and investing in Sigma which will give me more bang for my bucks. Do you have experience of comparing the Summilux 35mm with the Sigma 45mm. I would not want to sell the Summilux only to find I end up with something inferior.

Hi, 

I have the Sigma 45mm and use it on the SL but seriously doubt you'll find it on par with the Summilux TL 35mm quality wise.

Nope but close enough. For the price and the light weight Sigmas are no brainer. TL 35 is very expensive and quite heavy. 

Sigma’s build quality will be subpar. TL 35 is superb with its aluminium clad body and aluminium hood. But inside it is just a typical polycarbonate lens. Just like any Japanese one. 

Sigma’s DC DN are made of thermally stable composite. A fancy type of plastic with the strength of aluminium and the elasticity of the best polycarbonate.

Sigma 45mm DG DN is fully made in aluminium though. Other DG DN / Art are made of a mix of aluminium, magnesium and thermally stable composite. 

• Like 1

Very useful information. Thank you. Got the 56mm and very pleased with the results. Maybe plastic but looks well built and a nice size on the CL. Pleased with the IQ as well. Photo of my cat taken in poor light at f1.4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Exactly: size and weight of DC DN are perfect match for CL.

I am even wondering if CL + DC DN triumvirate could be even better than my Q2 & CL+DC DN 56mm combo ? At least it will be lighter and cheaper. 

Sigma 16, 30 & 56mm only has one default : using 3 different size of filter. They should take note of Tamron, Leica, Olympus, etc... one size fits all concept. 

Edited by nicci78

13 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Sigma’s build quality will be subpar. TL 35 is superb with its aluminium clad body and aluminium hood. But inside it is just a typical polycarbonate lens. Just like any Japanese one. 

I thought that the TL35 is being built in Germany. 

It is build in Germany. I just want to say that it is not a full metal (aluminium + brass) lens like M are. 
TL and SL inside parts are not better built than any Japanese brands polycarbonate lenses. That’s all. 
They are just clad with fancy aluminium shell. 

Thanks for all the useful information. Very impressed with this lens for the money. Always wanted a Macro but thought the TL 60mm was an absurd price to pay. Have now ordered the Sigma 70mm which will arrive today. For the moment I am keeping the TL 35mm but may be tempted to sell it having seen the results of the Sigma and buy the Sigma 30mm to replace it.

• 2 months later...

I just ordered the 45mm F2.8 DG DN today. It took a while and a lot of research for me to understand what users and reviewers have been saying about this lens. I had earlier ordered a copy of the 30mm F1.4 DC DN but I will be returning it unopened when it arrives as I'm stoked to find out what the new DG DN releases will be all about (Sigma officially launches them today). They appear to be comparable in size and weight to the DC DN lenses but will be FF and slower. If they have ' character' like the 45mm F2.8 then they'll be a great addition to L-Mount. There's more chat about them over at Fred Miranda (where the image below comes from) with leaked details of sizes and weights.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Reggie
  • Like 1

Interesting looking group, but for aps-c bodies, to me, the three 16, 30 and 56mm f1.4’s are still the ones to buy. Great optically and way better priced.

Also definitely prefer the slightly wider 30mm over 35mm in this format and 56mm over 65mm, not to mention the extra wider stop.

Edited by Gregm61

15 minutes ago, Gregm61 said:

Interesting looking group, but for aps-c bodies, to me, the three 16, 30 and 56mm f1.4’s are still the ones to buy. Great optically and way better priced.

Also definitely prefer the slightly wider 30mm over 35mm in this format and 56mm over 65mm, not to mention the extra wider stop.

Thanks Greg. There's no doubt that the DC range is lighter, faster and cheaper but one thing which puts me off (perhaps unnecessarily) is the amount of CA they exhibit.

The new lenses will be available in January 2021 with the 24mm shipping last.

the weights and US$ price (before taxes) are as follows;

24mm F3.5  225g  US$549

35mm F2.0  325g  US$639

65mm F2.0  405g  US$699

They join the 45mm F2.8 to form a new lineup called the 'I' series.

Sample images on the Sigma website show really nice rendering for all of them but the bokeh on the 35mm F2.0 looks rather busy so maybe I won't return the 30mm F1.4 after all - and I agree with you that 30mm is probably a better focal length on an APS-C sensor.

Edited by Reggie