Sigma 45mm

So here we are, Collected the lens today and upon first impressions I noticed the build quality is very good indeed, the lens mount is tight, firm and feels very well engineered, the aperture ring is firm and snappy with positive clicks. The all metal construction of the lens is complimented by a metal hood that comes with it and again, the engineering quality is bang on, snappy fit too, it is reversible so you can flip it on the lens, the hood feels better than the Leica hoods. 

So the lens is very small & light compared to any Leica offering at 50mm (remember this is a FF lens) The Leica 50mm Lux is HUGE, heavy and focussing is not as fast as this Sigma. It fits so nice on the CL & TL the size is comparable to the 23mm Summicron with or without hood they are very similar in size and weight.

AF is fast and accurate, in the short time I have had with it, I would say I am satisfied with the AF. When you switch into MF mode it zooms in just like with the Leica lenses and the focus ring felt solid with nice resistance, the closest focus is about 9" which is superb for general close work. The bokeh is really nice. I was surprised by this but the Sigma Manager told me that Sigma have been concentrating on the quality of the bokeh & roll off & they have done a stellar job.

I will be testing it further next week and will update my opinion but for now I would say, for us APSC sensor shooters that were looking for a compact 50mm(70mm) portrait type lens but do not want to lug around the SL 50 bag of sugar lens (I have owned one) then I can honestly say that this new Sigma 45mm C class lens offers the perfect solution.

The performance on the TL was exactly the same.

I have included a couple of snaps taken at Sigma and around the garden. All shots are direct from camera, only resized to upload here.

The portrait of me was taken in bad lighting, it was taken at f2.8, the photo of the crane was at f8 and pointing directly into the light. The other 2 flower shots were taken at close range both at f2.8

Any questions you may have please ask and I will try to answer them the best I can.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

another

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 3

• Like 5

Looks gorgeous on the CL and works great too. Well done Sigma, this is what we need.

• Like 4

Is there “enough” of a difference from the focal length of the tl35 to the sigma 45 to make it worth the price tag.. keeping in mind no adapter is needed and it appears autofocus works

seems like a no brainer to me

Edited by justbananas

17 minutes ago, justbananas said:

Is there “enough” of a difference from the focal length of the tl35 to the sigma 45 to make it worth the price tag.. keeping in mind no adapter is needed and it appears autofocus works

seems like a no brainer to me

My own personal feeling towards that question is that I believe there is enough difference between the 35 Lux and the 45 Sigma to warrant owning one, closer focus for a start. it is the difference between a 50mm and a 70mm lens in FF terms, I think a very nice travel prime kit would be the 23 Cron and this Sigma, you may want to put the 18 in there as it is so small.

I'm taking a few more shots tonight and then my friends band is playing so that will test the low light performance. The lens has manual override with focus peeking so I'll be shooting like that in the dark..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The f2.8 does not bother me for what I do, the portrait snap of me was taken in terrible lighting and looks ok to me.

Horses for courses though and if you need faster then you need faster.

It's encouraging to see this one, gives some hope for future L mount offerings.   Size looks just right on the CL, I really like the look of the ribbed hood too.  Not for me just because I have the 35TL and 40/50 covered by MF lenses in M mount, but look forward to seeing more images from the lens, enjoy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justbananas said:

I thought the portrait shot looked quite good. Not sure why you think the lighting was off. 

What I meant was, it was a difficult light situation, the lens & CL handled it very well ... sorry for not being clear.