Panasonic S1 Field report from SL User

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, jonoslack said:

I think you are the first person who ever looked up to me! - so you deserve a proper reply

I'd go for the SL - perhaps you could even get a deal on a new one? 

the only reason I might think differently is if you were going to do a lot of professional events in low light - or lots of long exposure landscape images. Or lots of fast moving objects.

The SL interface is really lovely (once you've figured it out it stays embedded in your brain)

You can and should shoot M lenses on the SL (but not so good on the S1)

The high ISO performance really is only about 1 stop better (and when did that matter). 

In two years the SL will be worth twice as much as the S1 (fair or not). 

So, the final crunch . . if someone said to me, you can only have one, would you have an S1 or an SL, then I'd have the SL, every time. For the reasons given above, but also for that inexcusable joy of ownership which Leica provides . . . . . 

Many thanks

Very similar to my thoughts ......

I have held both in my hands, and the SL is simply georgous (if one is into dwarf star material)

I know .. not the best way to pick a camera :) but hey I'm in it for fun, not money

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jonoslack said:

The SL interface is really lovely (once you've figured it out it stays embedded in your brain)

This ^ and being owner of Q, you get used to simplicity. I've handled S1/R and too crowded of buttons/features.

15 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Both S1s have thicker glass over the sensor than the SL or an M does.  So some M lenses will soften away from the center of the image.  The S1R, with its denser pixels, will let you see this more easily.  

This is one of the key advantages of Leica. Thinning out the sensor covers as much as possible has a real acuity and sharpness impact.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, caissa said:

But Hasselblad have lately been so unwise to change exactly that clever long time exposure behavior. it is not possible to stop a long exposure at any time and to still get a picture with the version 2 camera. I must confess I would like to see that as well in the SL or S1R.

Actually, it still is possible to stop a long exposure at any time with the X1D II as it was with the X1D. The exposure countdown disappears from the screen after 3 seconds, together with the end exposure message, but you can bring that back up - and end an exposure while still getting your picture - just by either half-pressing the shutter or waving your hand in front of the EVF. Either will bring the counter and the end exposure message back up, and you can then press the related button and end your exposure beforehand while saving your picture. See my X1D II review here if interested: https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2019/08/a-first-impression-hasselblad-x1d-ii-review.html. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri