New Q user queries

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

Got my (used) Q two weeks ago. It’s better than I thought it would be. Thought the IQ would be good but that it might be a bit slow and dopey, but no, it’s fast enough. High ISO not great but good enough for 6400 with careful NR and sharpening.  Only serious irritation I have is the very slow writing when shooting DNG & Jpeg. Took one good session to confirm it was a keeper. It basically just gets out of the way and lets you shoot.

A few questions……

1/3 increments in speeds in shutter priority/manual.  How?  I can’t get this to work, I just get the main 60/125/250 etc, when using the thumb wheel. It doesn’t work as per the manual. Maybe something obvious I’m missing.

Bracketing from ‘0’ upwards instead of minus and plus either side of ‘0’. Is this possible?

Lens protection ring/protective dial.  Where the h*** do you get these?  My Q is in excellent condition and came with everything but this.  The only place I’ve seen one is Leica Miami (I’m UK). Even Leica UK don’t list this that I can see.

Maybe have other questions later.   Thanks.

The 28mm Summilux lens comes with a protective ring which screws into the filter threads. This has to be unscrewed to mount a filter. Your lens should have come with this - if not contact the seller. 

Congratulations on your purchase. 

Probably doesn't help you in the UK, but maybe you find a Leica specialty store there similar to this.

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-q-typ-116-replacement-protective-lens-ring?variant=9637841605

However, there's very few reasons not to use the hood: it makes a great protection for the lens and can provide shading for better shots.  Even a polarizer can be adjusted with the hood on once you get the hang of it.  And you can avoid depending on the lens cap to protect the lens because it will probably fall off and be lost.  That said, I'd want to get that ring anyway just to have a complete kit! :)

For exposure settings in general, look at the Q PDF manual page 182 as the thumb wheel does different things depending on the Exposure Mode.  For setting intermediate exposure times, set the shutter speed to 30 on the dial, for example, and then use the thumbwheel to select from 30/25/20 or up 30/40/50.  Similarly, for each setting on the shutter speed dial, the wheel can be used to get additional increments between the dial settings.  If that is not working, make sure your Thumbwheel is set to Auto (at least that is how the Q2 works - I no long have my Q to check).

Also this explanation of V2 updates that are not covered in the PDF manual may be handy - https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/07/leica-q-typ-116-firmware-version-2-0-a-look-at-whats-new/ - that is when Thumbwheel options first became available for the Q.

Edited by bullmoon

Thanks.

That link is the one I get for any search I do for the ring. It's not a huge deal, I'll get one eventually.  Don't care about the lens hood, the amount of shots where it obviously benefits I think is small. Don't use a lens cap either, I use a B+W MRC UV filter, not for any visual benefit but just to keep any crud off the lens. I much prefer to keep the Q as small and free of any stuff that gets in the way.

Thumbwheel set to auto? Just checked, I didn't know there was an 'auto' and yes that was it. It also says set the dial to 60, tho' it works on any of them. However, I've now lost exp' comp' on the thumbwheel which I use 'way' more often. Anyway, I now know how to get incremental speeds if needed.

Thanks.

Edited by mikegml

18 hours ago, mikegml said:

I bought the camera without the protective ring. I have no complaints. The ring has to be unscrewed to mount the lens hood not any filters.  I don't want use the lens hood and therefore would like the ring to fit to the lens.

That’s interesting. I have the 28mm Summilux-M which has a protective ring to protect the filter threads. The hood can be attached with the protective ring in place. The 28mm Summilux on the Q has the protective ring on the lens hood threads. These two lenses were released about the same time, I wonder why the difference. My Q2 arrives next week so I’ll be able to compare them.

10 hours ago, RoySmith said:

That’s interesting. I have the 28mm Summilux-M which has a protective ring to protect the filter threads. The hood can be attached with the protective ring in place. The 28mm Summilux on the Q has the protective ring on the lens hood threads. These two lenses were released about the same time, I wonder why the difference. My Q2 arrives next week so I’ll be able to compare them.

That seems to be one hell of a lens but nothing to do with the Q?