Q, Too fragile?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just had to send my Q back to Chicago, for the second time.  First, it was a damaged card slot, got it back, very fast turn-around, all was fine.  I took it out over the weekend to shoot some racing and noticed a large light leak/tear, something in the viewfinder, from the lower left diagonally to the upper middle of the frame, sort of a daylight patch, like something had been torn away from the viewfinder???  This did not show up on the back screen, or on the files, just in the viewfinder.  So, back it went, I'll probably have it in a few days.  Now I'm worried, just how fragile are these cameras?  I had always thought they were tough as tanks, but now I wonder.  Could it have bumped against something?  Sure, I guess, but in all my pro career I don't remember damaging a mirror box, or sensor, and I've shot a LOT of camera bodies in those 40+ years.  Anyone else have any "daily use" problems/damage??   Time will tell for this one.

I have had no durability issues with my Q or Q2.  I am not hard on my cameras, but they definitely get used frequently and are not babied.  The Q2 is, obviously, a little more robust—weather sealing.  I don’t know what the failure rate is, obviously, but have never had a problem.