M-P 240 and 6bit manual coding

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I have loked around but can't find much about this:

I have an M-P Typ 240 and I'm trying to use the manually coded lenses that are easily recognised by the M 240.

No luck.

I see that the sensor for the 6bit code on the camera mount is different, I can see the diodes on the M240 and it's mirrored on the M-P240. So definitely different.

Have you found a solution to make the M-P recognise the hand coding? It is certainly correct and functional on the M240 and I'm using the Match Technical coding kit to code my lenses, so it's not user error.

I tried Sharpie, Zebra sharpie, Uni Posca paint...no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I tried to hand code several lenses and L39 adapters - which read beautifully on the 240. The important one for me is the CV Ultron 28mm F2, which needs a bit of correction.

It’s true that the Match Technical has a straight line, bu I then enlarge the black areas to fit the mount and curve.

Anybody has ideas?

Enlarging black dots did not work for me on other lenses but i have never tried to hand code a lens as a Summicron 28/2 sorry. The coding pits look like that on mine. Hope that helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had a Match Technical kit and coded a set of Voigtlander lenses the M9 could read perfectly, but my M262 (offshoot of the M240), purchased new in Feb, 2016, has never read them very well, if at all. 

wound up giving the coding kit away and haven’t bothered trying again with anything else.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I’m actually trying to code it as Elmarit 2.8 11809, it works wonders on the Ultron. On the M240 it reads well with the slightly wider dots, bu I agree - I don’t need puddles of paint!

Randomly now, with a mix of different inks layered over each other, it started seeing it...uh? Anyway, it sees well my hand coded Elmarit 28...I think it might be the recessed flange space? On genuine coding, although it’s still a bit recessed, I’m sure the paint quality makes a big difference.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, Gregm61 said:

wound up giving the coding kit away and haven’t bothered trying again with anything else.

I use it to place the markers in the right place very easily. After that I have to retouch it by hand. And I find the coding very helpful on wider lenses for the color shading, nothing else concerns me - it saves me work in post with flat field correction in Lightroom.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:13 PM, Harpomatic said:

Hi, I have loked around but can't find much about this:

I have an M-P Typ 240 and I'm trying to use the manually coded lenses that are easily recognised by the M 240.

No luck.

I see that the sensor for the 6bit code on the camera mount is different, I can see the diodes on the M240 and it's mirrored on the M-P240. So definitely different.

Have you found a solution to make the M-P recognise the hand coding? It is certainly correct and functional on the M240 and I'm using the Match Technical coding kit to code my lenses, so it's not user error.

I tried Sharpie, Zebra sharpie, Uni Posca paint...no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

You need paint that is black and white under IR light.