Advice for new-to-the-Q Q2 Owners – fall in love with f/1.7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In comparing the Q image thread with the Q2 thread, I was struck by how many close-up (not macro) images are being shot stopped down by Q2 users. I would like to encourage all of you who have bought the Q2 and this is your first time with a Q to explore shooting at f/1.7 full-time for a while and discover just how incredibly sharp and unique the rendering is wide open. Even landscapes can have a unique look at f/1.7 when focus is selective on a strong object of interest between MFD and mid-distance. Set the electronic shutter to extended and have fun experimenting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, hdmesa said:

In comparing the Q image thread with the Q2 thread, I was struck by how many close-up (not macro) images are being shot stopped down by Q2 users. I would like to encourage all of you who have bought the Q2 and this is your first time with a Q to explore shooting at f/1.7 full-time for a while and discover just how incredibly sharp and unique the rendering is wide open. Even landscapes can have a unique look at f/1.7 when focus is selective on a strong object of interest between MFD and mid-distance. Set the electronic shutter to extended and have fun experimenting.

I did not own a Q, but I agree regarding shooting the Q2 at 1.7. I was absolutely amazed. I have been shooting for over 45 years and have never seen anything like it. wonderful.

• Like 3

I have every intention to. 

Today I decided to buy my first Leica Camera. I use Sony A7riii's  with a selection of gm glass for work but wanted something a bit more compact to carry around. A camera that would be used to capture my own images rather than ones for sale. 

I feel a little crazy as I've bought a Leica Q-P. I bought it from someone that couldn't return it to the shop as the box was no longer intact and wouldn't accept it back as is (foam cut up and reshaped to house the camera with the hood on).

So... tomorrow I will receive the camera that is yet to be registered with Leica (2 weeks old), a B+W UV and ND filter with a couple of high speed 128gb cards. All in for £2999. It looks a stunning camera but feels mad to for a 3-4 year old tech. But maybe that is the beauty of it. Maybe it's features, ergonomics and quality are timeless and it makes no difference.. I guess I'll find out tomorrow! The aperture will be moved from f/1.7 .... but not for a while 

Edited by IzelPhotography
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RobM said:

Got my Q today, and will keep what you say in mind. Never had a 1.7 before, so will definitely be exploring it. 

Speaking as a weeks-old Q2 owner, have a bit of a practice with manual focusing. Spend a bit of time setting up the magnification/peaking the way you want it. I love the way f1.7 looks, but it is scarily shallow. So far I've had way better results at that DoF when I ditch the AF. It's brilliant that doing so is just a press and twist.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, hdmesa said:

I do enjoy and appreciate how beautiful images at f/1.7 can look. However, I find the DOF very shallow for photos of more than one person. I have better luck shooting around f/2.8 for two people and f/4 for 3-4 people. I know it depends on distance to the subject, but the way I shoot, f/1.7 often leaves me with one person sharp and another soft. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do like this suggestion to think more out of the box - especially for landscapes as I usually start at 5.6 or higher.  I'll have to keep this in mind.  1.7 is very shallow though and a lovely look for the right subject.  And definitely not for groups of people unless you are trying to make most of them appear unimportant. 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iQ2 said:

I do enjoy and appreciate how beautiful images at f/1.7 can look. However, I find the DOF very shallow for photos of more than one person. I have better luck shooting around f/2.8 for two people and f/4 for 3-4 people. I know it depends on distance to the subject, but the way I shoot, f/1.7 often leaves me with one person sharp and another soft. 

2 hours ago, bullmoon said:

I do like this suggestion to think more out of the box - especially for landscapes as I usually start at 5.6 or higher.  I'll have to keep this in mind.  1.7 is very shallow though and a lovely look for the right subject.  And definitely not for groups of people unless you are trying to make most of them appear unimportant. 😁

Most definitely you want to stop down with more than one person, at least at close distance 😎👍 Also f/1.7 at midday with motion/action doesn't work so well due to the electronic shutter having to kick in. Certainly some caveats. Mainly remarking on differences between the Q and Q2 two image threads and thinking it was mostly due to Q2 users shooting stopped down whereas many of the Q images are obviously shot wide open. Quite a difference in the dimensional quality at f/1.7.

Some Q reviews heavy on f/1.7 samples: 

https://craigmod.com/essays/leica_q/

http://kristiandowling.com/blog/2015/6/10/leica-q-typ-116-camera-review

http://kristiandowling.com/blog/2015/6/10/leica-q-typ-116-camera-review-part-2

https://www.fotodesign-rs.de/leica-q-one-year-later/

• Like 1

Why is this discussion somehow special to the Q/Q2?  A photographer's control of DOF is a compositional decision based on the subject and mood that one wants to convey.  Fast lenses and full frame sensors give you more "compositional control" over DOF as a creative tool.  While not all fast lenses paired with full frame sensors are alike (e.g., the "quality" of the bokeh or lack thereof in some fast lenses) this discussion seems pretty basic. Are there really many out there laying down $5k for a Q2 who then need advice on when and where to open it up or stop it down?

Edited by pharyngula
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pharyngula said:

Why is this discussion somehow special to the Q/Q2?  A photographer's control of DOF is a compositional decision based on the subject and mood that one wants to convey.  Fast lenses and full frame sensors give you more "compositional control" over DOF as a creative tool.  While not all fast lenses paired with full frame sensors are alike (e.g., the "quality" of the bokeh or lack thereof in some fast lenses) this discussion seems pretty basic. Are there really many out there laying down $5k for a Q2 who then need advice on when and where to open it up or stop it down?

We've all had the experience of owning lenses where shooting them wide open was a compromise  in image quality – maybe we wanted to shoot wide open but stopping down one stop yielded better technical results – the Q is not that way, it's a strong performer wide open. I have no comment on why Q2 users may not be taking full advantage of the compositional control afforded by f/1.7, but nothing wrong with seeing they're not making full use of it then encouraging them to not be afraid it will compromise image quality. Also there has been a lot of talk about the rendering differences between Q and Q2, and I'm making the point it's due at least in part to aperture choices, at least by some Q2 users. 

2 hours ago, stuny said:

For the 19 months I've had my Q I've kept it at 1.7 all the time except when I needed greater DOF.  I see no reason that change that behavior.

This exactly. If I picked up my Q to shoot and saw it wasn't set on f/1.7, I'd think someone had messed with it. It would have been really cool if Leica had put a significant aperture ring detent on f/1.7 that was even more pronounced than the one when you move to or from "A", then given the f/1.7 engraving a unique color.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

We've all had the experience of owning lenses where shooting them wide open was a compromise  in image quality – maybe we wanted to shoot wide open but stopping down one stop yielded better technical results – the Q is not that way, it's a strong performer wide open. I have no comment on why Q2 users may not be taking full advantage of the compositional control afforded by f/1.7, but nothing wrong with seeing they're not making full use of it then encouraging them to not be afraid it will compromise image quality. Also there has been a lot of talk about the rendering differences between Q and Q2, and I'm making the point it's due at least in part to aperture choices, at least by some Q2 users. 

As primarily an M shooter I suppose I’m spoiled by generally good glass but even so, I’m also use to zone focusing (certainly on the street). Point being that the wide-open dreamy look is usually less important than getting a well composed, in-focus shot quickly with an M.  Ok, I’ll admit to being drawn to the Q2 for the convenience of on-target quick autofocus wide open now that I’m older and slower/lazier.  I still like to think about it though, and while I do generally keep my lens set at 1.7 (and I’m very pleased with the sharpness and quality of the bokeh in most situations), I stop down frequently - almost instinctively so depending on subject.  I don’t want to imply that I don’t value narrow DOF for the 3D pop a great lens like the 1.7 Lux delivers with the Q2, but sometimes I feel narrow DOF can be over-used.  To each his own of course. I paid a good deal more for the 50 APO-Cron ASPH than I did my faster 50 Summilux with its DOF/bokeh benefits.  I did so for that “something special” the slower 50 APO delivers in terms of both sharpness and  micro-contrast.  In any event, I sold the 50 Lux and view the Q2 as kind of a substitute.  However, the 50 APO Cron is in the “you’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands category” (or until it just gets too challenging for my aging eyes to focus a rangefinder).

Edited by pharyngula
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pharyngula said:

As primarily an M shooter I suppose I’m spoiled by generally good glass but even so, I’m also use to zone focusing (certainly on the street). Point being that the wide-open dreamy look is usually less important than getting a well composed, in-focus shot quickly with an M.  Ok, I’ll admit to being drawn to the Q2 for the convenience of on-target quick autofocus wide open now that I’m older and slower/lazier.  I still like to think about it though, and while I do generally keep my lens set at 1.7 (and I’m very pleased with the sharpness and quality of the bokeh in most situations), I stop down frequently - almost instinctively so depending on subject.  I don’t want to imply that I don’t value narrow DOF for the 3D pop a great lens like the 1.7 Lux delivers with the Q2, but sometimes I feel narrow DOF can be over-used.  To each his own of course. I paid a good deal more for the 50 APO-Cron ASPH than I did my faster 50 Summilux with its DOF/bokeh benefits.  I did so for that “something special” the slower 50 APO delivers in terms of both sharpness and  micro-contrast.  In any event, I sold the 50 Lux and view the Q2 as kind of a substitute.  However, the 50 APO Cron is in the “you’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands category” (or until it just gets too challenging for my aging eyes to focus a rangefinder).

I really want an M10 Safari to shoot 50mm Lux alongside the Q, but an older M and 50 APO would be pretty cool, too, for a similar price.

When I shoot the Q wide open I don’t see “dreamy” as much as I see “dimensional richness”. Some of the very close macro shots can have that dreamy look, though, for sure. The f/2.8 max in macro mode has a really nice bokeh character, but sometimes I prefer to shoot f/1.7 at MFD and crop to macro. Two completely different looks.

I do hear what your saying, that the solution to everything isn’t to open to max aperture and depend on bokeh to save your shots. But the Q can generate an extremely unique look wide open — probably a combination of 1) Leica being able to take advantage of software to correct barrel distortion so they could concentrate on lens sharpness and bokeh,  2)  a fixed-lens design, and 3) the wide FOV + close focusing.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 3:00 AM, iQ2 said:

There is/are always some person(s) that I do NOT want sharp in the picture 😂

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, LexS said:

There is/are always some person(s) that I do NOT want sharp in the picture 😂

LOL!!! It must be a wedding photographer tip to put the less attractive people in the back and shoot at f/1.7. I’ll have to remember that. LOL. 🤣

• Haha 1

One thing I really appreciate with the Q, I'd imagine it's the same with the Q2, is the extra pixels you get when cropping an image in Capture One (even after selecting, "Hide Distorted Areas"). In the end, I can get 6390 x 4080. Given this camera is likely to replace my Sony FE 24 f/1.4 that is a nice surprise! That little extra width may well come in handy some times!

Even at f/1.7 the edges are still good when using the extra pixels.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was going to ask for opinions about f/1.7 for landscapes.  I have taken several at f/1.7 to F/2.2 and the results were quite nice.  Given 6+ months of experience, what are your thoughts on f/1.7 for landscapes?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2