Q date setting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own a Leica Q, it has fw3.1.

How to prevent that the date-time is accidentally reset?

Can I make the date-time "unresettable"?

It happened twice to me that the date-time was reset to 2016, and I saw that a only few days later.

With a normal reset the date-time does not change.

Edited by LexS

There is no way I know of to make it “ unsettable”.  How is it you are accidentally resetting it, though?  I wouldn’t expect this to be a common occurrence unless you are leaving the battery out for extended periods of time in which case more than the calendar would be reset.  In fact, I can’t Think of any way to reset the calendar that doesn’t reset the camera, and that requires  five specific buttons and wheels be pressed/turned in the right order (Q2).

Indeed, I have no idea at all how it happened. I noticed when I read the SD card into LTR.

Then I saw that the date was a "random" date in 2016, thus not the original date that it has when leaving the factory, which is a 2015 date.

A few months ago I had the same issue. To be sure I have saved now my settings into user1 and into user2, although that will not prevent this "specialty" I suppose.

Funny thing is that by a (accidental) reset the date-time is not reset at all. You must change it by hand, if you want to change the date-time.

It is not really very disastrous because it is easy to correct the date-time with ExifChanger, but that takes some time, picture after picture. (and of course the numbering is upped in the third figure).

I must have done some stupid thing, although that seems unlikely HA.

Date and Time are supposed to remembered using the "integrated back-up battery" even when the main battery is removed or depleted.  That is on page 160 of my version of the Q manual.   I'd suspect an issue with the "integrated back-up battery" if my camera started losing date and time.  The camera is supposed to hold date and time for two days (page 143 of my manual) on the back-up battery.   I takes about 60 hours to fully recharge the back-up battery after installing a fully charged main battery.

• Thanks 1

I assume the “integrated back-up battery “ is not user replaceable. It is on my Canon 5D3, but I never have had to in 5 years. I do have a spare just in case. It does seem that’s a likely culprit if you’re losing date and time info. 

In most cameras the “integrated backup batter” is actually a capacitor so it wouldn’t be user replaceable or need periodic replacement.  Don’t know for sure in the case of the Q/Q2.

Edited by Jared
Typo
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Marchyman for your answer. I never take the battery out but for changing it for another (charged) battery, that takes a few minutes perhaps. The idea of the built in battery or capacitor...??.... I will keep an eye on it. Now I always check the date before I am going to use the camera...