Leica Refurbished CCD M9 and M9p for sale . .

jonoslack

On 11/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, rivi1969 said:

Raid, I paid $2850 USD for my M9-P. Michel told me that the Monochromes are 3000 EUROS.

When Jono Slack wrote his article the M9 was EUR 2,800, the M9P EUR 3,000.  I contacted Michel direct to ask about a chrome Monochrom and this was priced at EUR 3,500.  I paid a little extra to have the Leica script engraved on the top plate.  Michel told me there has been very strong demand, so not sure how many are left.  I received an email from Michel last week saying the camera was finished and just needed the top plate script.  I'm hoping it will be despatched this week!

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, michaeljp said:

Hi, just wondering if you have received your camera and what you’re thoughts are? 

Yes I received it a couple of weeks ago and have posted in the Monochrom forum.  I am very pleased with the camera and with the service from Leica.  Michel said it is unique - a chrome finish Monochrom and the only one Leica has produced with dark red leather covering - the colour is boysenberry on the Leica chart.  Also nice to see the original Monochrom strap included and the camera had just 114 shutter actuations!  This must be the nearest thing to a brand new MM1 . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, michaeljp said:

Thanks, it looks great! Just wondering if you had any type of ballpark indication of how many clicks might be on the shutter of the camera before you placed your order?  

I think Leica indicated "around 2,000" but three other contributors to this thread bought M9 and M9P with 3,000 - 4,500 clicks.  Maybe the Monochrom doesn't get used as much, but 114 is just amazing.  Michel told me there are no more chrome MMs left, maybe still some available in black, but I think chrome looks better when combined with some of the more unusual leathers.

I am on a waiting list for the M10 Mono but don't think I will bother now - this is all I need 🙂

YES

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I think this M9 program was a success, some might took advantage to make a quick profit. I have seen a couple on eBay already for sale with asking prices from $4500 all the way to $6000! (That doesn't mean will sell of course)

I will keep mine in a safe a couple of years so I can trade it for a used M10 and maybe make some money in the process 😂 

Notwithstanding that the programme was a success, I don't see why these cameras should be worth more on the s/h market than a carefully looked after M9 with a new-new sensor. When my sensor was replaced you were given the opportunity to have the camera serviced and recovered in a la carte leather (for a small charge). Although I opted for both, in truth I think the service part was paying for what had to be done as part of the sensor replacement anyway.

2 hours ago, pedaes said:

Notwithstanding that the programme was a success, I don't see why these cameras should be worth more on the s/h market than a carefully looked after M9 with a new-new sensor. When my sensor was replaced you were given the opportunity to have the camera serviced and recovered in a la carte leather (for a small charge). Although I opted for both, in truth I think the service part was paying for what had to be done as part of the sensor replacement anyway.

Because these cameras were demos from Leica stores around the world, never seen real field action and that is why they came with so little shutter clicks and in mint condition. In my case, I am the original owner of an M9P camera that is literally new, inside and out, with less than 3,000 clicks and with one-year warranty. I wouldn't trade it for an M240 or 262. Those are cheaper lol.  

9 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Because these cameras were demos from Leica stores around the world, never seen real field action and that is why they came with so little shutter clicks and in mint condition. In my case, I am the original owner of an M9P camera that is literally new, inside and out, with less than 3,000 clicks and with one-year warranty. I wouldn't trade it for an M240 or 262. Those are cheaper lol.  

I wish you luck with your hope that your camera will increase in value in a couple of years. However, what makes you think they were all ex-demo cameras.  Dealers in the UK advertise ex-demo cameras for sale at a reduced price, as they are a cost the Dealer has to carry. What do you think Leica did with all the cameras they took in as part of the 'upgrade' programme ?

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, pedaes said:

However, what makes you think they were all ex-demo cameras.  Dealers in the UK advertise ex-demo cameras for sale at a reduced price, as they are a cost the Dealer has to carry. What do you think Leica did with all the cameras they took in as part of the 'upgrade' programme ?

Indeed, this makes much more sense. They have a mountain of M9s that were traded in at hand, taking up space in Germany. Of course they would use these ones than bother with the logistical nightmare and costs involved in buying and shipping cameras from dealers around the world. The idea to refurbish and sell them really was like hitting many birds with one stone.

It doesn't take any value away from them, and they were sold for a good price IMO. Whatever their history, they remain great cameras!

I can sort of understand people who "invest" in lenses, but digital camera bodies?

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

I must have been very lucky . . . my refurbished Monochrom came with just 114 shutter actuations and was (is) absolutely mint.  

It would be interesting to trace the life cycle of this camera.  Was it returned to Wetzlar with sensor failure after such little use?  I suppose more likely it was a demo, but it's a chrome body and that version of the Monochrom was produced in such small numbers.  I doubt whether there were any chrome demo MM1s lying around.

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

I wish you luck with your hope that your camera will increase in value in a couple of years. However, what makes you think they were all ex-demo cameras.  Dealers in the UK advertise ex-demo cameras for sale at a reduced price, as they are a cost the Dealer has to carry. What do you think Leica did with all the cameras they took in as part of the 'upgrade' programme ?

What makes me think they were all ex demo cameras?

Because that is what Michel from Leica Customer Service told me. Otherwise how come a 9-year old camera could have 100 or even 1000 shutter clicks and look absolutely like new? The previous owners kept it in a safe?

I bought it to use it, not for investment, but right now they hold their value better than an M240, and that’s a fact.

1 hour ago, rivi1969 said:

What makes me think they were all ex demo cameras?

Because that is what Michel from Leica Customer Service told me. Otherwise how come a 9-year old camera could have 100 or even 1000 shutter clicks and look absolutely like new? The previous owners kept it in a safe?

I bought it to use it, not for investment, but right now they hold their value better than an M240, and that’s a fact.

OK, if Michael said it, it must be true. They are great cameras, enjoy yours. I think the M9 will continue to loose less than the others because of the CCD sensor. I will not be selling mine anytime soon though!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1