jonoslack

Leica Refurbished CCD M9 and M9p for sale . .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There -  I was in Wetzlar last week, and I discovered that customer services are selling refurbished M9s

I was so encouraged that I thought it was worth writing a small piece about it: 

Refurbished M9 and M9p

I think you might need to hurry if you want one!

all the best

Jono Slack

Hello Jono,

I hope you are enjoying SL2. 😁😉

I cant wait to see your review. But I am even more interested to see how CL2 will be.

As always,

Louis

1 hour ago, Louis said:

Hello Jono,

I hope you are enjoying SL2. 😁😉

I cant wait to see your review. But I am even more interested to see how CL2 will be.

As always,

Louis

SL2 Louis? never heard of it?

I'd also be really interested in a CL2 and how it will be!

I hope you're flourishing.

All the best

I think they look great!! I can't believe I wrote that as usually I am "any colour as long as it's black".

One thing though, where did the "it's designed to last for 50,000" shutter actuations come from?  As far as I know the shutter expectation information has no been known out in the wild.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, jonoslack said:

Hi There -  I was in Wetzlar last week, and I discovered that customer services are selling refurbished M9s

I was so encouraged that I thought it was worth writing a small piece about it: 

Refurbished M9 and M9p

I think you might need to hurry if you want one!

all the best

Jono Slack

Hi Jono 

Just had a read of your article, very interesting, I was wondering if you heard anything while you were there about just when they maybe selling the monochrom’s. 

A refurbished M9 Monochrom with warranty would be worth parting with some cash for. 

Geoff

I'm astonished to learn what my M-E is next to single use camera.

Is it true about 50K? If so, M9 series are worse shutter cameras I'm aware of.

I send Leica customer service an email regarding how could I get one of these pre-loved M9s but they didn't bother to reply lol.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ianman said:

When did you send the email?

I sent it last Sunday, 4 days ago, and this evening I sent another email to a different Leica customer service address. Ernie from Tamarkin, kindly offers me to check with Leica if they (as official dealers) can buy one directly and re-sale it to me. We will see. 

Edited by rivi1969

On 7/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, Chuck Albertson said:

Thanks for that, Jono. Did they get rid of the store, or just move it?

HI there Chuck - they just moved it over the road

11 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

I send Leica customer service an email regarding how could I get one of these pre-loved M9s but they didn't bother to reply lol.

Hi There - I guess they're quite busy - hopefully you will get a reply.

best

5 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There - I guess they're quite busy - hopefully you will get a reply.

best

Thank you Jono :)

@jonoslack

On 7/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, ianman said:

where did the "it's designed to last for 50,000" shutter actuations come from?

Had the M9 and enjoyed it, but 18mp on a full frame sensor vs 24? Objectively speaking, the DR of the M9 sensor is not as great as newer cameras, such as the M10 (which I don't own) or the CL (which I do, I know cropped sensor, my only issue with the camera). Sometimes I think of going back and picking one up, the shutter and buffer was never an issue for me. Mostly I shoot film, so my digital fills in where the film camera can't (going out at night, etc). But a 240 or M10 might be the better choice, leaving price aside for the moment.

Night shooting doesn't always require high iso... or not the mega high iso camera companies all seem to think now. It depends what you want to shoot. I've rarely felt limited by the "low" iso of the M9. I'll be honest, it has happened, but rarely.

I know the CCD vs CMOS image "look" discussions are usually as pointless as analog vs digital, or "Leica glow" threads, but... I have always found that the M9 images seem to have something different, dare I say special. Is it due to the CCD? I don't know. Maybe it's the way I shoot... again I don't know. What I do know is that I have not found the same specific quality in photographs that I have taken - few admittedly - with CMOS based Ms.

There is one reason I would reluctantly change to an M10 (or later?). That is Liveview, because I know that my eyesight is deteriorating. I still prefer the M9s method of changing ISO, I bet it's faster then on the M10.

Last point, even more subjective than the image "quality" of the M9, is that I still think that it and it's siblings are the best looking digital Ms. With the step on the top plate, the frameline window and the frameline selector lever (yes, I use it).

35 minutes ago, sblitz said:

Had the M9 and enjoyed it, but 18mp on a full frame sensor vs 24? Objectively speaking, the DR of the M9 sensor is not as great as newer cameras, such as the M10 (which I don't own) or the CL (which I do, I know cropped sensor, my only issue with the camera). Sometimes I think of going back and picking one up, the shutter and buffer was never an issue for me. Mostly I shoot film, so my digital fills in where the film camera can't (going out at night, etc). But a 240 or M10 might be the better choice, leaving price aside for the moment.

Every time I have to transfer files to elsewhere due to out of space, I miss my Canon 5Dc with 12MP FF sensor. 

Used M240 might be better option at the same or close to it price, like new M-E MK2. M10 is going to be great as refurbish after two year release of M12 :). 

I'm still scared by OP 50K shutter life statement for M9.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ianman said:

Night shooting doesn't always require high iso... or not the mega high iso camera companies all seem to think now. It depends what you want to shoot. I've rarely felt limited by the "low" iso of the M9. I'll be honest, it has happened, but rarely.

I know the CCD vs CMOS image "look" discussions are usually as pointless as analog vs digital, or "Leica glow" threads, but... I have always found that the M9 images seem to have something different, dare I say special. Is it due to the CCD? I don't know. Maybe it's the way I shoot... again I don't know. What I do know is that I have not found the same specific quality in photographs that I have taken - few admittedly - with CMOS based Ms.

There is one reason I would reluctantly change to an M10 (or later?). That is Liveview, because I know that my eyesight is deteriorating. I still prefer the M9s method of changing ISO, I bet it's faster then on the M10.

Last point, even more subjective than the image "quality" of the M9, is that I still think that it and it's siblings are the best looking digital Ms. With the step on the top plate, the frameline window and the frameline selector lever (yes, I use it).

I am looking for an M9 because I love the look from my M8 files. Yes, my A7Rii have like a dozen more stops of DR, and 32 more MP but I am a simple man.

Edited by rivi1969

M9 is so good! When I get back from vacation I’m going to leave my m10D and get out the old gal and taker her around.