Smallest AF lens on SL - sigma 45mm f2.8

SKL2017

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very fast focusing speed!

All functions is released on SL! 

Excellent lens of street photography !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SKL2017
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the Sigma 45mm f2.8 is fantastic

sharp at f2.8 and super sharp from f4

I suspect it will sell many SL bodies 

Edited by colonel
  • Like 6

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

sProbably the most comprehensive test of the lens (e-mount version but same formula) by Fred Miranda.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608234?b=2

ok, so under 1 metre spherical aberration increases and is most noticeable at 20cm :o

yikes!!!  this is immaterial to its usage. unless you intend to take pictures of people's nostriles on the street and get punched for your efforts :)

Edited by colonel

15 minutes ago, colonel said:

ok, so under 1 metre spherical aberration increases and is most noticeable at 20cm :o

yikes!!!  this is immaterial to its usage. unless you intend to take pictures of people's nostriles on the street and get punched for your efforts :)

Well I was just commenting on the photo above, which was clearly taken at close distance, and exhibits the softness/glow that Fred found in his testing. 

Perhaps immaterial to you, but I take a lot of macro and close-up shots with my Q-P, and love that it's bitingly sharp at that distance. So this Sigma lens is a no go for me.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Well I was just commenting on the photo above, which was clearly taken at close distance, and exhibits the softness/glow that Fred found in his testing. 

Perhaps immaterial to you, but I take a lot of macro and close-up shots with my Q-P, and love that it's bitingly sharp at that distance. So this Sigma lens is a no go for me.

I agree, definitely not a macro lens ...

No, not a macro lens, but I quite like the image (and the margarita was excellent!) I have a Q also and the macro function is wonderful, but this Sigma 45 has some real character. I took it out on a walk with the dog today and shot photos and video that made me very happy.

One function that is nice is that switching to manual focus on the lens allows me to use the joystick to activate autofocus. My M lenses can't do that and the 24-90 is pounds heavier. This is a nice, small, light lens and I can see carrying both the Q and the SL with this 45 as a two camera set that covers most everything. I would also be very happy with a brace of lenses from 24 to 90 like this that I can put on my SL.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone seen how this lens performs versus the 24-90 at 45mm, particularly at the zoom’s minimum focusing distance, say at f4?

This lens is very attractive, but I’m trying to get a perspective on its close focus performance, which I know it’s not optimised for, before taking the plunge. 

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Phil

On 8/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, peggers said:

Has anyone seen how this lens performs versus the 24-90 at 45mm, particularly at the zoom’s minimum focusing distance, say at f4?

This lens is very attractive, but I’m trying to get a perspective on its close focus performance, which I know it’s not optimised for, before taking the plunge. 

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Phil

The Sigma lets take you pictures closer than the 24-90mm. Bokeh is nice close-up so is the sharpness at f4 (no complains at 2.8). Auto-focus is fast (I feel it's sometime slightly faster then the 24-90). But it's very hard to compare to be honest. The lens is totally different and has a completely different goal. The 24-90 is a great (and I mean great) lens but even if the performance of the Sigma is slightly less then the 24-90 the plusses are reason enough to get this lens as an extra lens. Plusses: small, compact, auto-focus, great performance for reasonable pice. Just a great overall winner. Would I use this lens to do a photoshoot in the dark...not really. If you do street photography or use it on your travels....you can't go wrong with this lens.

Sigma 45mm is super sharp

I am not into brick pictures, so here is what I use to test sharpness ;)

Full size:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haroldmiller/48632794551/

Full size:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haroldmiller/48632803596/

• Like 5