Jump to content
Jonathan Hanson

3.1 Firmware update disaster?

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just downloaded the new firmware (from Leica) and followed the instructions for installing it, and I'm a little beside myself because my CL seems to have gone insane. I cannot change modes with the left top button and wheel, and pressing the menu or function buttons or rolling either wheel gets me a locked icon on the screen (see below). Then randomly the menu button will work again. This camera has worked perfectly for me until now! I tried reloading the firmware but it would not let me. Turning the camera on and off (about 50 times) does nothing.

Any help would be most appreciated!

 

Jonathan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Jonathan,  try unlocking the controls, from memory - a long press on the Left Setting Wheel Button. This was introduced by Firmware 2, so you may know about this function. I have not updated to the latest, but intend doing so.

Edited by wda
Added caveat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same with the current firmware. Long press on the left wheel button to unlock or lock the padlock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it, thanks! I'd never activated the lock before, and had no clue how to deal with it. I must have randomly long-pushed the button at some point, and then again. I'll see how everything else works now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an issue with the TL 23  , F aperture was lost and the display showing  F - - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got to that point while installing the firmware, I tried pressing every button a number of times. I finally turned the camera off and when I turned it back on it was fine, menu unlocked etc. I did have to redo most of the settings, but took maybe 10 minutes. Having the EVF adjustable has worked well. Checking out the other improvements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just updated, and had problems, too.  It asked me if I wanted to download my settings, which I did, and then didn't offer any way to upload them again.  But that's an old trap, I've been in before  Settings are not preserved during an upgrade.  Only profiles.  You have to make your choice of settings into profile #1 to save them over an update.  That left me a lot of things to fix, and I am still finding them.

Lesson 1 -- save your settings as a profile before doing the upgrade. Then upload them again.

Lesson 2 -- if you care about your file numbering and want it to continue uninterrupted, see if you can use the trick posted earlier in this or a similar thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All our profiles are registered in the SETTINGS.LCS file of our SD card so suffice it to copy this file to an hard disk or elsewhere to retrieve it if needed after a firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rosebud55 said:

Well this all sounds fun! Looking forward to updating my camera on Monday!!

The only issue I've had with updating to firmware v3.1 is that the lens profiles embedded in my user profiles for use with my M and R lenses was not remembered. It took five minutes to set and re-save all six user profiles with the correct lens profile assignment, and re-export them. 

Other than that, my CL has worked flawlessly and better with the update. I even had a use for AE-L assigned to the right wheel button yesterday! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've updated without problems. I've always used profiles, so didn't notice the confusing terminology. 

OTOH there's nothing of interest to me here. The useful thing I'd like that didn't happen is assigning AF to a button (ie back button focus). I'm guessing this won't happen now till the CL2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea if CL2 is being already made and when would be  released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Louis said:

Any idea if CL2 is being already made and when would be  released?

You'll have to ask Jono, but I doubt that he will give a straight answer, and besides, he's likely to be very busy right now wringing out his SL2, 

My WAGuestimate would be that Leica should not feel the need to renew the CL just yet. The sensor technology in the CL (24 MPx  in half the space that the M10 and SL require for the same amount of image information) is still current and effective.  The APO SC-SL line of lenses work very well on the CL, giving each lens two useful focal lengths, each producing 24 MPx images.  And the CL is well supported with the current lens lineup of both CL zooms and primes, and SL primes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

New Leica cameras are release every 3 years at least and 4 years at most. 

But it seems that Leica shifts to an almost 4 years time frame. Ex : M10, Q2, S4 (announced but still not released). SL2 and M10-Monochrom (both are still missing in action)

Therefore : no CL2 before November 2020 for sure. But you may have to wait until September or November 2021. 

Of course CL2 can replace both TL2 and CL. Taking into account the TL2 renewal time frame. CL2 can be released between April 2020 and November 2021.

 

However, right now there are still no new APS-C sensor. Latest 26MP variant used by Fujifilm, do not offer any advantage. It is only made to fits alongside into special waffle for 44x33 small medium format 100MP sensor and Sony new 61MP 24x36 sensor.

Edited by nicci78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

You'll have to ask Jono, but I doubt that he will give a straight answer, and besides, he's likely to be very busy right now wringing out his SL2, 

My WAGuestimate would be that Leica should not feel the need to renew the CL just yet. The sensor technology in the CL (24 MPx  in half the space that the M10 and SL require for the same amount of image information) is still current and effective.  The APO SC-SL line of lenses work very well on the CL, giving each lens two useful focal lengths, each producing 24 MPx images.  And the CL is well supported with the current lens lineup of both CL zooms and primes, and SL primes.

Ahhhh, my good old friend Jono!.... He is, indeed, the one who has the privilege of playing with new toys! lol 😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, cirke said:

I had an issue with the TL 23  , F aperture was lost and the display showing  F - - 

The lens firmware probably needs to be updated; the camera does this automatically at some point if needed. You probably have to take the lens off, use another lens, and then remount it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a commentary. . . isn't digital fun? I mean, you have to constantly monitor and find fixes for bugs and whatnot. Firmware updates and software. It's like maintenance for digital equipment is exponentially more of a pain than before. And costly. And it's with everything. Not just cameras. 

Then we have to deal with data breaches, and hacks. This can be avoided, but nobody wants to spend the money. 

People are so enamored of the digital revolution, but I wonder. . . If it will all collapse into thin air. Which is inevitable. I'm tired of having to have three backups for my backup. And have a IV into my bank account for subscriptions and cloud usage. So much for my boxes of binders full of negs and contact sheets that will last a hundred years, at minimum. Not so sure about my digital images. They will evaporate as soon as the next tech comes along. I'm surprise those over the age of 50 don't see the danger in losing history and longevity based on what you can afford as time moves on. Pretty soon all we'll have is what happened yesterday for the most of us. We just accept it because we have exceptional images in a small package? 

As usual, tech runs faster than humanity's ability to cope with it.

/end rant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jake said:

[...] So much for my boxes of binders full of negs and contact sheets that will last a hundred years, at minimum [...]

Mine are lost fo the most part and i'm too busy/lazy to scan the others. Digital is for people like me i guess but film is not dead for people like you fortunately so why ranting on a digital forum?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Just as a commentary. . . isn't digital fun? I mean, you have to constantly monitor and find fixes for bugs and whatnot. Firmware updates and software. It's like maintenance for digital equipment is exponentially more of a pain than before. And costly. And it's with everything. Not just cameras. 

Then we have to deal with data breaches, and hacks. This can be avoided, but nobody wants to spend the money. 

People are so enamored of the digital revolution, but I wonder. . . If it will all collapse into thin air. Which is inevitable. I'm tired of having to have three backups for my backup. And have a IV into my bank account for subscriptions and cloud usage. So much for my boxes of binders full of negs and contact sheets that will last a hundred years, at minimum. Not so sure about my digital images. They will evaporate as soon as the next tech comes along. I'm surprise those over the age of 50 don't see the danger in losing history and longevity based on what you can afford as time moves on. Pretty soon all we'll have is what happened yesterday for the most of us. We just accept it because we have exceptional images in a small package? 

As usual, tech runs faster than humanity's ability to cope with it.

/end rant. 

No one makes you "have to constantly monitor and find fixes for bugs and whatnot...." If the camera you're using works to your satisfaction, just keep using it and forget all this stuff. 

My 2003 Olympus E-1 received its last update in 2006; I bought it in 2007 after I determined that I liked what it did. It's never been upgraded or repaired, it sits in its bag and when I take it out it just works exactly the way it always has. It's still the best DSLR I've owned, despite being 16 years old and ridiculously obsolete. I just used it again this morning ... the advances in raw image conversion software has actually made it a better performer than it was in 2007.

12 years of zero maintenance and 15,000 excellent photos, and not a single additional penny spent on it ... far better than any film camera can be in the maintenance and costs of ownership game. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy