AndreasG

Tokyo - Then and now

Agree - much prefer the old photo.  It seems much more atmospheric.  Wonder what would happen on the digital image if you used a very high ISO setting?  Thank you for this interesting comparison.

Posted (edited)

Since I was not sure about the location, google helped me, and I had some time left today, I found the place again.... I could not get however close to the original point due to construction on the bridge, but you easily can recognize the details of the catenary wiring and the old stones river embankment, now replaced by concrete walls. The buildings are gone, the concrete pillars continue...

Edited by AndreasG

Posted (edited)

I really like this series and the effort you have put in it. Your pictures make me want to travel to Japan once more. I had the chance to visit Tokyo in 1998 only and since then I wanted to go there again, but never managed it so far. But slowly I get the impression, that my wife gets accustomed to my thoughts and I can hopefully make travel plans in one of the next years...

Edited by Sparkassenkunde

Thanks Andreas, this great series brings up so many memories and familiar feelings from Tokyo,

I lived in Shibuya-ku 4 years during the 80`s. Definitely still my favourite megalopolis in the world.

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, AndreasG said:

the new one clearly shows the possibilities of digital imaging

Well the major reason that the old one is better is the scene itself, not the imagecarrier of the photo. 

Apart from that: a very interesting serie.

Edited by otto.f

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all your kind comments, I try to continue this series. I still keep many old photos, the challenge is meanwhile to identify the location, and then, to have sufficient time - I need to do a job here...

Edited by AndreasG

Meanwhile I succeeded to arrange more "matching pairs", here is the place on front of the Denenchofu station, in southern Tokyo, where I once lived more than 30 years ago, In those days, a prestigious location.

This is the street in Denenchofu 3-3-15 where I lived with my family 1987-1991. Left side a little distant, you see the rear of a car, reaching into the street, that was my wife's little Honda Civic.

Posted (edited)

Today, the street scenery is calm as ever, but many new houses have been built, my old home disappeared, but the street markings are virtually the same... Seems, even the transformer on the electricity pole is the same as before.

Edited by AndreasG

Posted (edited)

Let's go to Aoyama, the fashion district. At the crossing of Aoyama-Dori with the prestigious Omotesando street is a police station, a so-called "Koban-Box", hmm, 30 years ago...

Edited by AndreasG

Well, 30 years later, the Police Station is almost unchanged - Government property, no funding -, I guess the air in the bicycles' tires got renewed occasionally... and, it is only three bicycles...