CL - Keep or sell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I just think that the Thumbs-Up and the Leica product are not very well thought through. They sit too high, impeding the wheel operation

That's what i thought when i realized that it works perfectly when turning the left wheel with the index finger, the same way as the shutter speed dial on M cameras. 

51 minutes ago, lct said:

That's what i thought when i realized that it works perfectly when turning the left wheel with the index finger, the same way as the shutter speed dial on M cameras. 

True, and a good tip.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, prismstorm said:

...Going by this logic, the SL also doesn't have 'back button focus', since all I'm doing now is setting the 'push in SL joystick' action to AF-L and AE-L, so in essence it is still different than the 'AF-On' button like the dedicated one on a D850. ...

However, you can also configure the SL to work "the other way" by setting the appropriate option on the joystick button. I don't understand the point of saying that the "SL doesn't have this" when you configure it NOT to have this. 

Just decide whether you want to keep the CL or not. I don't know why so much difficulty: It's just a camera .. either you like to use it and want to keep it, or you don't. It's not a matter of extreme importance. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lct said:

You can turn both wheels with the index finger when using the Thumb rest/up

I also agree that Leica’s handgrip is the best ergonomic enhancer. Better to only have the handgrip alone. Than the Thumb up alone.  

I do not mind to remove the handgrip, each time I need to access battery or SD card. Not harder than removing bottom case of M cameras

19 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I would say it comes down to some questions:

1) do you like using the CL? Is the viewfinder fine for you? Is the handling good for you? Is the IQ fine for you?

2) do you have times when you want a smaller camera than the SL?

If the answer is yes I would think it can make sense to maybe add 1 or 2 CL lenses, depending on your focal lengths need, and then you have a nice second smaller system, which also can work as a backup, and as a "teleconverter" for the SL.

Maybe a 23 TL, or the 55-135 as a compact telezoom, or the 18-56 (which I find a little boring). My Fav is the 11-23, and for compact the 23.

Even thought the 35/1.4 is smaller and "cheaper" the the 35 SL - if you own the SL and CL I would go for the 35 SL lens because you can use it on both cameras. I have the 75 SL and it handles good on the CL size wise.

If you only have few times wanting a more compact camera, or if you take the SL most of the times because you want the bigger EVF and more dynamic range,  I would sell the CL.

Personally I keep it, I find it great that the lenses between M/CL/SL/Pana can be used on all those cams. By the way the 23 TL is also a nice lens on the SL or Pana S1r, for evening shots of casual things (party/dinner/...) (where you dont need much resolution usually anyways).

Thanks for the great answer, I find the viewfinder of the CL alright even compared to the SL's, IQ is good enough, but the handling is less comfortable than SL given the small form factor and limited real estate, I also prefer a heavier camera and lens combo as I find it more easy to stabilize. 

Yes there are many times I want a camera smaller than the SL, such as non-photographic-related casual trips where I just want a compact camera for some casual snaps. I do find the SL too bulky for those casual situations even when outfitted with M lenses. I also like something smaller like the CL for trips where I need to pack light, like hiking, or where mobility and discreetness are valued (travelling in more dangerous countries), but you are correct in that I would need 1-3 TL lenses to take advantage of the CL's compactness. 

I am considering:

1) 11-23, this would be perfect for travel, and when at 23mm it doubles as a walk-around everyday 35mm, although it seems to be at its most extended position at 23mm. However this zoom is what makes me shy away from the 23mm f/2 prime, since it is a lot more flexible for travelling given the zoom range;

2) 60/2.8 macro, this would offer 1:1 magnification ratio and very close focusing distance and open up some new realms of photography for me. The bokeh is gorgeous and if getting this it would make me shy away from the 55-135, because on a casual trip I would use it to double as the tele lens and that's it. I tried the 55-135 at the store and it was very hard to get sharp pictures given the CL is susceptible to shakes from my breathing and the neither the body nor the lens have OIS for a 80-200mm full frame equivalent focal length range;

3) 35/1.4 TL, but just as you have agreed, the SL 35 seems to be the better choice for an owner of both CL and SL. 

5 hours ago, prismstorm said:

the handling is less comfortable than SL given the small form factor and limited real estate

Did you try the CL with the Leica handgrip fitted?   I have always used a handgrip so it was a no-brainer for me.  But like you the CL was too small for me without it.

11 minutes ago, rob_w said:

Did you try the CL with the Leica handgrip fitted?   I have always used a handgrip so it was a no-brainer for me.  But like you the CL was too small for me without it.

My CL has both the official Leica thumb support and the black official hand grip installed, but since the CL does not have a vertical grip like the SL, my hand is still larger than the height of the body and the grip, and the SL ends up being more ergonomic FOR ME. 

16 hours ago, prismstorm said:

Thanks for the great answer, I find the viewfinder of the CL alright even compared to the SL's, IQ is good enough, but the handling is less comfortable than SL given the small form factor and limited real estate, I also prefer a heavier camera and lens combo as I find it more easy to stabilize. 

Yes there are many times I want a camera smaller than the SL, such as non-photographic-related casual trips where I just want a compact camera for some casual snaps. I do find the SL too bulky for those casual situations even when outfitted with M lenses. I also like something smaller like the CL for trips where I need to pack light, like hiking, or where mobility and discreetness are valued (travelling in more dangerous countries), but you are correct in that I would need 1-3 TL lenses to take advantage of the CL's compactness. 

I am considering:

1) 11-23, this would be perfect for travel, and when at 23mm it doubles as a walk-around everyday 35mm, although it seems to be at its most extended position at 23mm. However this zoom is what makes me shy away from the 23mm f/2 prime, since it is a lot more flexible for travelling given the zoom range;:p

2) 60/2.8 macro, this would offer 1:1 magnification ratio and very close focusing distance and open up some new realms of photography for me. The bokeh is gorgeous and if getting this it would make me shy away from the 55-135, because on a casual trip I would use it to double as the tele lens and that's it. I tried the 55-135 at the store and it was very hard to get sharp pictures given the CL is susceptible to shakes from my breathing and the neither the body nor the lens have OIS for a 80-200mm full frame equivalent focal length range;

3) 35/1.4 TL, but just as you have agreed, the SL 35 seems to be the better choice for an owner of both CL and SL. 

135 mm? Handholding problems?  🤔 To the Telyt brigade on this forum a mere 135 is a wideangle lens. O.I.S is for sissies... Just for fun I walked into my garden and squeezed off a few MR-Telyt 500 shots - all handheld @ 1/200th. All sharp...:rolleyes:

BTW, this is a wonder lens on the CL for ergonomics and balance. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1