The Q for professional use...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, so I am new to this forum. I have been reading a lot of pages of topics that I like and learned a lot about the q. 

I want to get into the Leica system, the Q seems a good option for me. (Used are prices pretty good)

At this point I am using a sony a7 series camera with a 24 g master lens and a 50. I use the 24 99% of the time but i think i will go for a 24-70 (as my professional back up).

I really want to shoot Leica, preferably as my professional camera too. I love the wider angle and the document style. But I am not sure if people use it as their pro camera  

I also have been looking at the new m-e 240. I would probably get it with a 35. I wouldn’t get more lenses soon because I don’t have the budget for that now. The downside to this camera is the expensive lenses, and I would probably use one lens anyway. 

I would love to see stories of people using the q as a professional camera and any tips or thoughts that help my decision process are welcome. 

Also... i consider all my sony stuff for it, because i don’t think that I will look back after having a leica. But I am scared that I will regret it. 

Thanks.. !

Whether it is a “professional” enough camera depends completely on the type of photography one does.  If you are fashion photographer, no, it won’t qualify because of the 28mm focal length.  Wildlife photographer?  It would be a horrible choice.  Reporter?  Might work for some uses,  but certainly not universal.  Architecture?  No tilt/shift.  Street?  Travel?  Absolutely. 

Hello, 

Professional can mean anything - what kind of work do you do?

I think choice of equipment is usually driven by the requirements of what the pro needs for the job, rather than wanting to use a particular brand of camera. 

Also if you would need at least 2 Q camera's (if that was your choice) wouldn't you?

8 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Hello, 

Professional can mean anything - what kind of work do you do?

I think choice of equipment is usually driven by the requirements of what the pro needs for the job, rather than wanting to use a particular brand of camera. 

Also if you would need at least 2 Q camera's (if that was your choice) wouldn't you?

It varies a lot. Mostly documenting people in their environment. 

What do you mean by your last question?

1 hour ago, Lostercone said:

No zoom.   No dual card slots for backup is one limitation.  If its to be a Leica Q You'll ideally  want the Q2 in order to maintain a greater megapixel crop at 50 and 75mm.  It isn't a zoom lens and you won’t be filling the viewfinder with the images as you select either of the longer focal lengths when you  are shooting.

I would recommend a leica full frame with changeable lenses.   The  M digital range would be the starting point. IMHO

Edited by lucerne
2 hours ago, lucerne said:

No zoom.   No dual card slots for backup is one limitation.  If its to be a Leica Q You'll ideally  want the Q2 in order to maintain a greater megapixel crop at 50 and 75mm.  It isn't a zoom lens and you won’t be filling the viewfinder with the images as you select either of the longer focal lengths when you  are shooting.

I would recommend a leica full frame with changeable lenses.   The  M digital range would be the starting point. IMHO

This, to me, is an essential consideration. Everything else is particular to the photographer's style and vision. As a professional, you must return with product, and not having a backup in the extremely unlikely event of card failure is, frankly, not being a professional. That is why there was such a critical reception of the Nikon Z series. I don't think Nikon anticipated that (but should have), even though the cards they do use have close to a zero per cent failure rate.

Edited by bags27
32 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Surely you will need at least one back up in case of failure? 

A backup camera creates another opportunity to take other shots. And it is essential. But having only one card means the photos you initially wanted to take could be lost forever.

5 hours ago, Jared said:

Whether it is a “professional” enough camera depends completely on the type of photography one does.  If you are fashion photographer, no, it won’t qualify because of the 28mm focal length.  Wildlife photographer?  It would be a horrible choice.  Reporter?  Might work for some uses,  but certainly not universal.  Architecture?  No tilt/shift.  Street?  Travel?  Absolutely. 

An interesting point of view.

My career has been spent as an AD/CD in ad agencies and I've hired photographers for every category you list. With the exception of some specific file size needs (read resolution), file quality requirements (read good, clean pixels and reliable AF), and the occasional special lens request, I've not told my photographers what equipment to use. I've expressed opinions and desires, like PLEASE don't shoot action with a Canon 5D Mark ANYTHING in low light because the AF misses on one in four shots. I've also requested medium format in recent years so I have resolution for large display (read trade show or installation use). I've also asked that a couple shooters not use Nikon because the files have been of substandard quality.

When the Q2 came out I consulted with one of my favorite retouchers. We downloaded some sample files from the Leica website and from DP Review. We were both blown away by the clarity, color and pixel quality of the Leica files. He even suggested that I ask my photographer to use the Q2 rather than his Nikon gear so we had better resolution and file quality.

People either love or resent the little red dot when they should be focusing on the output of the camera. IMHO Leica gear is worth every penny of the asking price.

36 minutes ago, bags27 said:

A backup camera creates another opportunity to take other shots. And it is essential. But having only one card means the photos you initially wanted to take could be lost forever.

Precisely why I ask my photographers to use small cards and swap them out frequently. Then I insist their assistants backup the cards in real time, usually in triple. Mind you, I work with commercial photographers who are paid handsomely for their talents and expertise, so assistants are always in the budget. Wedding shooters could not realistically follow our work stream and remain profitable.

22 hours ago, Lostercone said:

Environmental portraits are actually a good match for the Q/Q2.  It is quick, fairly small, and 28mm sometimes cropped to 35mm or 50mm should work well in a range of environments.  It is weather sealed.  You would likely have fewer mistakes with a Q than with an M—the other fairly obvious Leica choice for environmental photos.  Only real downside is the risk of card or camera failure.  This can be mitigated by having a backup camera and by swapping cards every so often to make sure you never have an entire shoot on one card. Other than that, sure, it’s a professional camera if you use it professionally.

14 minutes ago, Jared said:

Environmental portraits are actually a good match for the Q/Q2.  It is quick, fairly small, and 28mm sometimes cropped to 35mm or 50mm should work well in a range of environments.  It is weather sealed.  You would likely have fewer mistakes with a Q than with an M—the other fairly obvious Leica choice for environmental photos.  Only real downside is the risk of card or camera failure.  This can be mitigated by having a backup camera and by swapping cards every so often to make sure you never have an entire shoot on one card. Other than that, sure, it’s a professional camera if you use it professionally.

Yep, good point. Im already used to swapping sd cards with one slot. I wonder how good cropping is on a q compared to the q2, might wanna go with the 2 for better resolution. 

I have had some Q shots used for advertisements for some jobs we have done.  It is especially nice for tight shots using Macro mode and the lens can produce some dreamy shots.  But I think for general purpose work, something like a Canon 5DIV with a decent selection of lenses is far more versatile and the features are certainly aimed more at professional work.  Even the operation of the camera is geared to "getting the shot" without screwing around.  The camera is a tank, can take extreme use (we have shot well past the expected actuations), has great support from Canon (if you sign up for it) so that you are never waiting for a repair (they'll send a loaner).  The entire Canon program is more geared toward people who need a dependable tool to get a job done.  I don't feel the Q program satisfies that - just read about what happens when your Q camera has a problem, or any Leica for that matter - you'll be without it a long time.  Most professionals can't tolerate that.

So the consideration is not so much about the camera, but everything else that goes along with the process that is required to deliver professional results that clients can depend on.

Edited by bullmoon
37 minutes ago, bullmoon said:

I have had some Q shots used for advertisements for some jobs we have done.  It is especially nice for tight shots using Macro mode and the lens can produce some dreamy shots.  But I think for general purpose work, something like a Canon 5DIV with a decent selection of lenses is far more versatile and the features are certainly aimed more at professional work.  Even the operation of the camera is geared to "getting the shot" without screwing around.  The camera is a tank, can take extreme use (we have shot well past the expected actuations), has great support from Canon (if you sign up for it) so that you are never waiting for a repair (they'll send a loaner).  The entire Canon program is more geared toward people who need a dependable tool to get a job done.  I don't feel the Q program satisfies that - just read about what happens when your Q camera has a problem, or any Leica for that matter - you'll be without it a long time.  Most professionals can't tolerate that.

So the consideration is not so much about the camera, but everything else that goes along with the process that is required to deliver professional results that clients can depend on.

I see what you’re saying and I think you could be right. I think I should define professional usage is for me. I do some commerial work (with my sony and I will keep it that way, for as long as I’m enjoying it). The leica would be used for more art stuff, with mostly consumer clients. If the camera would fail, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I don’t shoot weddings or anything. 

So with that being said, I think a Leica would work. I am just not sure if the q is the camera, yet. Due to the 28. I love the wide angle but I will have to test it to see. I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up buying the q.  With my sony as a backup and for my commercial work. Photography is not my main income, it’s my side hustle that passionate I’m super about. 

Thanks for your pov :)

On 7/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, Lostercone said:

Hi, so I am new to this forum. I have been reading a lot of pages of topics that I like and learned a lot about the q. 

I want to get into the Leica system, the Q seems a good option for me. (Used are prices pretty good)

At this point I am using a sony a7 series camera with a 24 g master lens and a 50. I use the 24 99% of the time but i think i will go for a 24-70 (as my professional back up).

I really want to shoot Leica, preferably as my professional camera too. I love the wider angle and the document style. But I am not sure if people use it as their pro camera  

I also have been looking at the new m-e 240. I would probably get it with a 35. I wouldn’t get more lenses soon because I don’t have the budget for that now. The downside to this camera is the expensive lenses, and I would probably use one lens anyway. 

I would love to see stories of people using the q as a professional camera and any tips or thoughts that help my decision process are welcome. 

Also... i consider all my sony stuff for it, because i don’t think that I will look back after having a leica. But I am scared that I will regret it. 

Thanks.. !

Just got the Q2. It will be largely used for professional purposes. I got it because of the leaf shutter, quiet and the ability to sync at higher shutter speeds when needed. And for the 47mp if I needed it.  I've tested with the Profoto B10 and B10 Plus. 1/1000 sync is possible.

The cropping is much more useful than I expected. As I use the SL, the common battery is a boon.

The 120 fps EVF makes shooting from a fast moving vehicle feasible to assess focus. Manual focusing is excellent. So for reportage and documentary, it's very nice. Prefer it to my SL.

I'd prefer the SL's joystick to the pad. The right dial is not easy for fast changes.

Image quality is excellent. If it doesn't fail on me I would consider it an indispensable complement to the SL. For some shoots it will be the primary camera.

If your shots are 90% in the 28mm - 50mm focal length, personally I don't think there's a better camera for pro use.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:08 AM, Lostercone said:

Thanks.. !

I had the Q that I used for street work and travel. Then just a few months ago I bought the A7iii with the Sony GM 24/1.4. I bought the A7iii for its unbelievable AF including face/eye tracking, and I bought the GM 24 to shoot a very low light ballet dress rehearsal. https://brick.smugmug.com/Photography/2019-6-19-Terpsicorps-dress-rehearsal-samples/

I also use the Sony with my 85/1.4 and 55/1.8 for portraits, both environmental and studio.

Then last month I sold the Q and bought the Q2 which will basically continue to be my street/travel camera but also as a landscape camera, especially when hiking the Blue Ridge mountains. 

Using the Q professionally depends on the particular professional use you envision. It's certainly good for portraits although more environmental given the wide angle, plus it's good for events such as weddings so long as you don't mind being limited to 28mm length. But if your professional needs include studio portraits, then the Q is probably not going to cut it. Maybe you can expound on exactly what professional uses you have in mind for the Q.

At the end of the day I'd say get the Q if it can fit certain of your professional needs, but also keep the A7 with that fabulous 24 GM lens for other professional uses that aren't suited by the Q.