Post your 50mm & 75mm crops

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've read over and over again on various reviews and threads (not on this site) how the crop modes on the Q/Q2 are 'only' crops as if that somehow makes them no good.  "It's not a real full frame 50mm lens, it's just a crop" etc, as if we really need that pointing out to fully comprehend the 'lie' that Leica is selling us unwary or ignorant Q buyers.

But so what? A real full frame 50mm f1.4 lens is just a tiny crop from a 300mm lens for an 8x10 shooter - and only f9 equivalent btw. Or a very small crop from a 100mm lens for a 6x6 shooter.  That doesn't invalidate a 50mm lens on a FF camera as no good.  To the man with a 24" large format camera everything else is a tiny crop. 

The Q also happens to have less of a crop than a m43 camera with a 50 equiv lens (25mm) and the Q2 about the same number of pixels while doing it. 

I personally find that the 50mm crop mode gives me exactly what I'm looking for from a '"real" 50mm lens - tight framing at a distance where my subject has some personal space, but I don't need to shout to interact, and some nice subject isolation from the background.  I also find the in-camera crop lines very helpful for framing vs just doing it in post.

Share some 50mm / 75mm crop goodness

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ralphh
  • Like 16

Here is an example where I was able to take a messy image and focus on the interesting subject. This is about a 75 mm crop in Lightroom with a black and white filter applied.

• Like 3

Here is one—roughly a 100mm crop.  I shot it as a 75mm crop then tightened it up a bit more.  Just wanted to see how far one could go before it started to lose its quality even for social media/web posting.

• Like 3

How about posting any cropped shots in camera or post and stating what the crop factor is? I am extremely pleased with the resolution and sharpness of both the Q and Q2 that allows pushing tight crops. I am thinking of generally keeping my camera with the 35mm crop box on to help me gauge getting closer to my subject. Especially people shots that might be beneficial. 

Rooster in Key West.  I don't know the crop, but I cut about 75% of the pixels out of this one.  The Q2 can take a wicked crop.  Sure, it would have been nice to have a zoom (my wife did, so I was happy to crop my shots! :) ).  I only wish I had been thinking to frame him from higher up to eliminate the cars in the background...always something. 🙄

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, bullmoon said:

Rooster in Key West.  I don't know the crop, but I cut about 75% of the pixels out of this one.  The Q2 can take a wicked crop.  Sure, it would have been nice to have a zoom (my wife did, so I was happy to crop my shots! :) ).  I only wish I had been thinking to frame him from higher up to eliminate the cars in the background...always something. 🙄

Beautiful. It is totally amazing to me the resolution and sharpness of highly cropped Q and especially Q2 images. The ultra sharp lens and 47MP sensor with no low pass filter is a great combination. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not sure of the crop factor, but here are two photos of my grandson's hamster - typical rather boring subject matter in lockdown.  The first full frame, the second a pretty extreme crop.  I printed the crop A3 size and it is stuck on my grandson's bedroom wall with blutac.  It looks fine and, more importantly, he really likes it.  He is too young to understand crop factors in relation to print quality!

Camera was Q2 Mono using the macro function.  Aperture wide open at f2.8.

No hamsters were harmed in the making of this photo . . . .

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 1