zakzavada

Hotshoe Loose. Springs/pressure plate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a 21mm Summilux and a Brightline Finder 12024 to accompany it. When I slide the finder into the hotshoe on my M10 it feels remarkably loose and unstable, so much so that if the camera is tipped it will slide out. This can't be right.

Investigating further I tried the same viewfinder on my M9-P and it fits securely, same when I try it on an M4 body. There are raised bars under the edges of the M9 hotshoe (see attached photos) and similarly on the M4 they seem to have springs under bars to use light pressure to hold things in place. 

Did something fall off my M10 without my noticing? On a stock m10 is the center area with the pin cluster flush with the rest of the hotshoe or is that area in the center raised up a bit from the bare metal? 

All other hotshoe items that I use have pin locks so nothing else falls out. I had a thumbs-up grip that went in the hot shoe that was too loose as well. I had assumed it was the grip bring too small, not that something was missing from my camera. Can anyone confirm this behavior or help me to understand what I may be missing? I I can use a small bit of gaffer's tape to fill in the loose area when using the viefinder on the the M10 but that hardly seems like the best solution.

M9 hotshoe with raised pressure bars:

M10, same area:

M10 Top Down:

M10 Straight in, note slightly raised center pin cluster. Is there a surrounding plate that is missing on my hotshoe?:

Edited by zakzavada

Look here at Post #18.

Edited by jdlaing

The ringed photo of your black M10 shows it best, the plastic around the flash contacts should be flush with the spring plate, but the plastic on yours higher than it's surroundings meaning the spring plate has gone (also there are no springs visible). For some obvious reasons I won't go into I usually keep out of debates about thumb grips that are mounted in hot shoes, but with the hot shoe being one of the more delicate areas of the camera I'd put money on this being the cause.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.