Firmware 3.1 released

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Thanks! Actually, I need to IMPORT, which I did. I figure you saved me at least an hour's work. I'll be in the Monterey area the next 2 weeks, but will be in the Bay Area again next year, and owe you a drink!

Ah, yes. I thought you meant the other way, glad to help. 

And yes: I had to re-make all my user profiles with respect to the lens profile choices they stored once again. It's a bit of a PITA, but such it is. Took me just a few minutes since I know exactly what needs to be done now when this happens. :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this update does not include adding the option to lock the wandering focus box that so many of us have asked for.  I realize some may not want this, but it should at least be an option for those of us that do want it.   One has to wonder why Leica doesn't listen to its customers.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, caigy said:

Unfortunately, this update does not include adding the option to lock the wandering focus box that so many of us have asked for.  I realize some may not want this, but it should at least be an option for those of us that do want it.   One has to wonder why Leica doesn't listen to its customers.

Indeed. Locking touch-focus cures the wandering focus point.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The movable focus point in manual focus makes doing some of my table top and copy work easier. The AE-L is convenient rather than having to hold the half-press the shutter release, would be nice if it were implement as an on/off toggle lock. I am seeing a small improvement in AutoISO operation and resulting exposures at the low light end of the range of operation. 

I checked operation with Leica FOTOs and it seems unchanged. The ability to connect to an existing WLAN and then connect to the camera with Leica FOTOs remains broken. 

The movable focus point for manual focus is the most useful improvement I see so far, for my use. 

G

• Like 1

Hey folks! I just discovered a very serious autofocus problem with the 55-135. AF in the 11-23 and 18-56 seem to work fine after the lens firmware upgrades. The 55-135 hunts like crazy and fails to focus. I focused close and it failed. I focused far and it failed. Then, I chose MF and manually focused on a close object. Perfect. Then I turned on AF, and it focused perfectly again on the close subject. I shifted to a farther away subject (a large clock on the wall) and it hunted and failed. Then I did the same thing. I manually focused on the clock. Then turned on AF and it focused perfectly on the clock, but failed to focus on the closer subject. This did NOT happen prior to the firmware upgrade to the lens. Anyone else experiencing this? By the way, right after I upgraded and put on the 55-135, it wouldn't focus on anything. I pulled the battery, waited several seconds, and put it back in. It improved, but still hunted and failed.

What up with you guys? Are you having problems with the lens FW upgrades? This sucks! I've never had a problem like this with any FW upgrade. I've been shooting digital since the late '90's!

Thanks!
If Leica follows this forum, I'd love to hear from them!

Marc

1 minute ago, weinbergfoto said:

Hey folks! I just discovered a very serious autofocus problem with the 55-135. AF in the 11-23 and 18-56 seem to work fine after the lens firmware upgrades. The 55-135 hunts like crazy and fails to focus. I focused close and it failed. I focused far and it failed. Then, I chose MF and manually focused on a close object. Perfect. Then I turned on AF, and it focused perfectly again on the close subject. I shifted to a farther away subject (a large clock on the wall) and it hunted and failed. Then I did the same thing. I manually focused on the clock. Then turned on AF and it focused perfectly on the clock, but failed to focus on the closer subject. This did NOT happen prior to the firmware upgrade to the lens. Anyone else experiencing this? By the way, right after I upgraded and put on the 55-135, it wouldn't focus on anything. I pulled the battery, waited several seconds, and put it back in. It improved, but still hunted and failed.

What up with you guys? Are you having problems with the lens FW upgrades? This sucks! I've never had a problem like this with any FW upgrade. I've been shooting digital since the late '90's!

Thanks!
If Leica follows this forum, I'd love to hear from them!

Marc

OK, I'm an idiot. Somehow I turned on the focus limiter....... So embarrassed!! Sorry.....

Well, good to see some to be happy with this new FW!

For me, nothing to be much excited about since the issues that are important to me have not been addressed!

- Still looking for the focus point to bring it to the middle after each shot, and lucky to find it in some lighting conditions, without mentioning the waist of time and loosing my subject!

- still messing up my files organization with frame numbering starting from zero after every FW update. No continuity in numbering! 

Well, what can I say?...... ..... 🤨

25 minutes ago, Louis said:

Well, good to see some to be happy with this new FW!

For me, nothing to be much excited about since the issues that are important to me have not been addressed!

- Still looking for the focus point to bring it to the middle after each shot, and lucky to find it in some lighting conditions, without mentioning the waist of time and loosing my subject!

- still messing up my files organization with frame numbering starting from zero after every FW update. No continuity in numbering! 

Well, what can I say?...... ..... 🤨

There is a frame numbering menu item and my focus point stays centered after I disabled touch AF. 

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

There is a frame numbering menu item and my focus point stays centered after I disabled touch AF. 

I do change the numbering myself manually after each FW update. I only wish the camera would do it automatically.

also, I have my touch AF off, but as I am using focus tracking, the focus point doesn’t center by itself after each shot and I have to search for it and tap on my screen! This is an option that I really need.

I am away from my CL for a few more days.  Can someone describe in more detail how the new AF lock works?  With the SL, you set the camera in manual focus and press the joystick for one-shot AF at the focus point, leaving exposure to be set with the half-press of the shutter.  Is it like that?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

9 hours ago, Louis said:

I do change the numbering myself manually after each FW update. I only wish the camera would do it automatically.

also, I have my touch AF off, but as I am using focus tracking, the focus point doesn’t center by itself after each shot and I have to search for it and tap on my screen! This is an option that I really need.

I see. Not using focus tracking myself, this was not apparent.  So you are asking for a self-centering point, as a locked point in focus tracking is a contradiction. A nice idea, but possibly not that easy to implement.

• Like 1

my AF zone keeps moving , I cannot lock it totally and forever at the center

can someone explain the way to do it step by step ?  thank you

I always use M mode and before the update left wheel was Aperture and right wheel Speed, now it is the opposite , how can I have it Left Aperture and Right Speed ?
thanks

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I am away from my CL for a few more days.  Can someone describe in more detail how the new AF lock works?  With the SL, you set the camera in manual focus and press the joystick for one-shot AF at the focus point, leaving exposure to be set with the half-press of the shutter.  Is it like that?

As I said above I cannot see the point in this in its current state, as the focus is not staying 'locked' beyond one shot - as soon as you half press shutter again it goes back to normal operation. Switching to MF disables the AF-Lock altogether so no help there.