stan k

Stan K

2 hours ago, Stan K said:

My LCD screen is failing.  Have purchased a new one, but now need help on how to install it on my Leica X1 - can any one help me.

thank you

I have no experience of an X1 LCD failing.  Can you expand on the nature of the problem?

Have you asked your dealer or Leica in Germany?  There might also be a fault in the allied circuitry.

The screen is growing dark, can't ask anyone as I purchased this from a dealer.  the camera is 10 years old.  Have called Leica and was told they do not give this kind of info out because of  liability. Been on youtube, but there is nothing out there on how to take the X1 apart.  Leica very close lipped on this.  I have purchased a new LCD screen and that is why I am asking how to install it,  thanks for asking

7 hours ago, Stan K said:

The screen is growing dark, can't ask anyone as I purchased this from a dealer.  t.....screen and that is why I am asking how to install it,  thanks for asking

If your dealer was a Leica dealer he probably would have offered you a short warranty,  say three months. The fault should have been evident during that time giving you the option of returning the camera.

I have owned an X1 since it was first launched and cannot recall one incident of a failed LCD. Digilux 2 - yes. M8 - yes. In contrast,  the X1 has been remarkably reliable hence the paucity of experience in user-replaced  LCDs.

My  advice would be to refer back to the vendor and share the cost of a Leica repair.

6 minutes ago, Stan K said:

thank you for your advice,  the camera was on consignment only at the dealers, hence he had nothing to do with the problem.  I was told of the problem when I purchased it

I have to Ask, Why purchase an Iffy Camera?  There are 100's of good used cameras to choose from!..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, Stan K said:

thank you for your advice,  the camera was on consignment only at the dealers, hence he had nothing to do with the problem.  I was told of the problem when I purchased it

Oh dear, a gamble which didn't quite work out for you. Depending on your budget,  it might still be worth your while asking Leica for a cost estimate for replacing the LCD. If the rest of the camera is sound, you will then have a very useful compact Leica for everyday use. And a serviceable camera to sell eventually. 

3 hours ago, lykaman said:

I have to Ask, Why purchase an Iffy Camera?  There are 100's of good used cameras to choose from!..

the price was right $200 Canadian - included the leica range finder, leica camera and leica hand grip - how could I go wrong,  can throw the camera away and sell range finder and hand grip and make money if I had too

2 minutes ago, Stan K said:

the price was right $200 Canadian - included the leica range finder, leica camera and leica hand grip - how could I go wrong,  can throw the camera away and sell range finder and hand grip and make money if I had too

In which case, what is stopping you taking my advice? (Incidentally, I think you mean Viewfinder NOT Rangefinder)

29 minutes ago, lykaman said:

People are paying more for a digital Without a screen..Set it up Manual Mode..forget the screen.. L

A good idea for shooting, but how does he access his menu? ?

14 minutes ago, wda said:

A good idea for shooting, but how does he access his menu? ?

He doesn't need a Menu, set everything up Metering/jpeg-DNG/ Auto Iso/ He can PP the DNG files -- Turn On. Take Pics, Turn Off, Remove Card.. L

Advanced Camera Systems here in the UK are a company that converts cameras to Infrared, they would be able to advise you, ask for Neil .. If you have such a company in Canada, maybe a call to them? they may even offer to fit it for you.

I have taken a few apart and with Leica they tend to hide screws under the grippy covering.. Might be worth asking a company that do conversions. Hope it helps.