Anyone who has received and used their Q2 feel like they should sell it or return it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just wondering for those who have already received their Leica Q2s, if they have any regrets or feel somewhat less inclined to stick with it? I am mainly asking since the store I pre ordered from is close to receiving mine, but I wonder with all the issues I've read on it, if the Leica Q2 is really worth it. I probably won't know until I try it out for myself, but just wondering what people have already been through and felt? It seems like some are willing to sell it in place of a Leica Q or Q-P. 

You know how when you buy an item, and you feel like it's the greatest thing ever and don't plan on ever selling it? I wonder if those who received the Leica Q2 have been feeling like that, or have been feeling like they kind of want to sell it to get something else?

I could not be happier with the Q2. Truly. 

I've had no problems with the camera and find it a pleasure with which to make pictures. I love the size, the form factor, the lens and especially the resolution. That last part — resolution — could be a sticking point for those who aren't prepared for the data footprint, but for me it's sublime.

I will be shooting with my Q2 for years to come.

• Like 4

I was considering this myself .. I have not had the original Q but mostly shoot M

I have had it pretty much form the beginning and I think it is a wonderful camera/lens. It handles really well, pairs fantastically with either the M or SL and if you like to crop (I don't) it is a wonderful all in one tool

My gripes: paint chips off really easily, the shoulder wheel has started silvering a few weeks in and there are signs of wear everywhere (my 246 had almost none after years). If it bothers you, buy a case.

I am using my 28 Lux a lot less than I used to (which I am not happy with because I love it and prefer its rendering to the Q). I think the Q makes me lazy, a little bit 

I have just had to send it back to Germany as there were 4 pieces of dust in the VF (3 small, one huge) so will be without for a few weeks (so much for weather sealing)

I bought it for family pictures as I have 2 small kids and for close ups, not the Ms forte, so may end up keeping it for those reasons, but was not 100% impressed with Face recognition AF (plenty of blurry pics)

I think where this camera excels is all in one travel and street, but then again the M is no slouch either at those

Will wait until it comes back and then decide what to do, and in the meanwhile go on holiday with the M10s and a bunch of lenses plus the SL for landscapes 

Edited by Fedro

indeed, everyone is different.

Forgot to mention that while, I am happy to work with 80MB files for landscapes and more planned stuff, for family pics, holiday and street work, 24 MP seems more than enough - again, to me

Edited by Fedro
  • Like 1

I returned mine and went back to my Q. I just ended up buying a Q2 again from one of the forum members on here. 
This time I am sticking with it. It’s a better all round camera but you’re right, the files sizes (even in JPEG) are a nightmare for things like family snapshots.

It's not as perfect ad it could be, and the single focal length feels a bit limiting, despite lots of cropping potential. There are a couple of flaws related to the firmware, that should get fixed. 

In general it turns out, that I'm using the Q2 differently than I had anticipated. For example, manual focus, something that should work very well with a EVF, is not as convenient as expected. Focus peaking is not precise and hard to see in bright sunshine. I'm using AF instead, which is fast and spot on. 

The lens is incredible sharp and renders beautiful colors. That's the main reason to keep it.

For travel it is hard to beat. The single focal length is restrictive and requires a second camera. I'm keeping my Nikon stuff in addition to the Q2

Edited by 4peterse

3 hours ago, omar.gurnah said:

I returned mine and went back to my Q. I just ended up buying a Q2 again from one of the forum members on here. 
This time I am sticking with it. It’s a better all round camera but you’re right, the files sizes (even in JPEG) are a nightmare for things like family snapshots.

You could switch the Q2 back to 4,2 x 2,8 giving 12Mp with smaller files.:D

Fotoauflösung
8.368 x 5.584 Pixel (3:2)
4.272 x 2.848 Pixel (3:2)
4.240 x 2.832 Pixel (3:2)
Edited by jankap

I’m actually surprised that there are so many Q/Q-P owners who have been disappointed with the Q2.  As far as I can tell, it is almost exactly as advertised:  same handling as the Q, weather proof, bigger battery, better EVF, higher resolution.  No real surprises.

I can certainly understand those who don’t feel the upgrade is worth it.  I can even understand buying a Q/Q-P to save a little money. But if you already own a Q and decide the upgrade is worth it, I don’t see how one could be disappointed.

If you don’t own any Q, then certainly the camera could turn to be different than one expects from just looking at spec sheets, so that would make sense to me.

In any event, I find the Q2 to be exactly as advertised.  It is a more robust, higher resolution Q.  If that’s what you are looking for you are unlikely to be disappointed.  If you are hoping it can replace a bigger, heavier DSLR... Just keep in mind it’s still a 28mm lens and so is a poor choice for sports, wildlife, portraiture, and the like. It’s a solid option for travel, street, family, events, and even landscape (depending on how wide you like to go).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jared said:

I’m actually surprised that there are so many Q/Q-P owners who have been disappointed with the Q2.  As far as I can tell, it is almost exactly as advertised:  same handling as the Q, weather proof, bigger battery, better EVF, higher resolution.  No real surprises.

I can certainly understand those who don’t feel the upgrade is worth it.  I can even understand buying a Q/Q-P to save a little money. But if you already own a Q and decide the upgrade is worth it, I don’t see how one could be disappointed.

If you don’t own any Q, then certainly the camera could turn to be different than one expects from just looking at spec sheets, so that would make sense to me.

In any event, I find the Q2 to be exactly as advertised.  It is a more robust, higher resolution Q.  If that’s what you are looking for you are unlikely to be disappointed.  If you are hoping it can replace a bigger, heavier DSLR... Just keep in mind it’s still a 28mm lens and so is a poor choice for sports, wildlife, portraiture, and the like. It’s a solid option for travel, street, family, events, and even landscape (depending on how wide you like to go).

I wasn't disappointed or surprised, but I learned that there were quite a few annoyances in actual use.

1. 15% heavier 

2. Terrible placement of thumbwheel

3. Larger Files

4. Expensive spare batteries made from Unobtainium.

Then there were subjective things like the difference in high ISO rendering and preference of controls (dedicated video/delete/ISO buttons) that made the Q2 less enjoyable to shoot with. So it wasn't all roses for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel exactly like you describe; it's the greatest thing ever and I'm never selling it. I do have a very long list of firmware updates I'd like to see, but none of them spoil what is a fabulous camera.

I actually like the thumb wheel placement. My xpro 2 had a exp comp dial that was far too conveniently placed and always seem to get bumped to a different setting every time I picked up the camera. 

Theres only 2 things I don't like about the outside of the cames- 1) the EVF pokes out too far (or is too angular) and digs in my side when the stap is across my body. For an everyday camera I find it pretty uncomfortable to carry. Its probably the least comfortable smallish camera I've ever had  2) I would have much preferred a little joystick to the 4-direction pad

Edited by ralphh
  • Like 1

No regrets also.

Q2 is not better than Q in every way. But it is still nicer overall.

However upgrade price does not worth it. Stick with the Q and wait for Q3, or for a used Q2 in the future

Edited by nicci78

I am still on the fence on Q1 VS Q2 and sometimes regret upgrading from the Q1. I have some minor quibbles that should get sorted out with firmware. I am disappointed in Leica for going backwards in some aspects of the firmware from the Q1. My two main hardware gripes are with the EVF implementation. It feels a bit warpy to me and has what appears to be moire.  I also prefer the lightness of the shutter on the Q1. The Q2 requires a heavier push. I realize this is personal preference and some will prefer the Q2 implementation. Overall though, I am very happy with it. Not sure it's worth the $2500 upgrade price tag though. I loved the Q1 so maybe some of this is just my resistance to change.

I'm kinda surprised how many of these threads there are about keeping the q or going back to the q or is the q2 worth it. The original q must be a great camera, esp for its age. I can see that if you upgraded and you're not used to/ keen on cropping you might be wondering why you bothered. I took my q2 to the beach with the kids yesterday. I got both sand and sea spray on it. I'm glad it's weather sealed. Not that a q1 wouldn't have survived, but I'd be a lot more stressed!

Something about the focus area inadvertently never being centered is really bothersome on the Q2. I suppose I accidentally touch the screen - drives me crazy so I have set it for EVF Extended for most use.  I had less issues with the Q or don't remember that at all actually - not sure what is different.  The lack of spare batteries is really annoying but will pass.

It is a better camera, but the Q was very strong already as it's popularity attests to.

7 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

I wasn't disappointed or surprised, but I learned that there were quite a few annoyances in actual use.

1. 15% heavier 

2. Terrible placement of thumbwheel

3. Larger Files

4. Expensive spare batteries made from Unobtainium.

Then there were subjective things like the difference in high ISO rendering and preference of controls (dedicated video/delete/ISO buttons) that made the Q2 less enjoyable to shoot with. So it wasn't all roses for me.

I find the weight difference negligible but can understand if others don’t.  I agree with you on the thumbwheel—much preferred the original location.  Not exactly make or break, though.  The larger files are obviously inevitable when the megapixel count doubles.  The batteries are definitely expensive, though I would expect them to become easier to find soon.  Leica is often slow with new cameras to account for the initial demand for accessories.  The subjective things like the change in button layout?  I find them a minor improvement.  Fine if you don’t.

6 hours ago, Jared said:

I find the weight difference negligible but can understand if others don’t.  I agree with you on the thumbwheel—much preferred the original location.  Not exactly make or break, though.  The larger files are obviously inevitable when the megapixel count doubles.  The batteries are definitely expensive, though I would expect them to become easier to find soon.  Leica is often slow with new cameras to account for the initial demand for accessories.  The subjective things like the change in button layout?  I find them a minor improvement.  Fine if you don’t.

I agree that the differences are minor, and one could be swayed one way or the other. But to state that the Q2 is "improved in all aspects" is false, imo. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.