Show us your Summilux-M 28mm f/1.4 ASPH wide open shots

Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am really thrilled that Chaemono opened this thread cause it is nearly the only lens I use.

Another one from South Tyrol. I really like that photograph.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Ah sorry, the last one was not captured wide open. I just stumbled upon that and thought it would be nice to share it.

Two more from the band, both wide open again.

Edited by BJohn
  • Like 2

And the last one from the band, at least for today. The guys had some sort of hangover mood but barely a reason to skip the band rehearsal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BJohn said:

Thank you very much for your kind words! Yes I do use presets but I don't like to use presets which kind of alter the whole image but bring in some mood, tone, overall colouring to emphasise what I want to express.

I am really struggling between Lightroom and Capture One. Most of my recent shots are processed with Capture One and for C1 I use the official styles quite a lot. Here in particular: Latitude Sunbound, Latitude Deep Forest and Cinematic. For Lightroom I only use the classic presets (https://theclassicpresets.com/). What I would recommend are the Classic CineStock Profiles, which are similar to some of the C1 styles in terms of usage. Hopefully this helps and answers the question. Feel free to drop me a DM anytime if you have more questions regarding my post-processing!

Thanks a lot for your answer! I've used C1 before, but that was before they got the presets. Now I only use LR. I'll take a look at the Classic Presets. Thanks for the tip!

Too much colour fringing with this lens. I went with the 28 Summicron v2; better edge performance wide open, less contrasty, richer colours with more tonal depth, and the bokeh at f/2 is very smooth. Does not block the viewfinder, is faster to focus and of course easier on the pocket book. Is closer to the 50 Lux Asph than the 28 Lux in rendering, and so the 28 Cron / 50 Lux is a spectacular pair of optics.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL 28 lux wide open

Here is a photo taken within an hour of purchasing this lens (slightly cropped left and right).

I agree there is a  lot of colour fringing at times, but it is not difficult to get rid of. Will I get another 28mm lens for different needs, probably. 

• Like 13

One more from Zermatt, portrait of my dear cousin. Good to see the busy bokeh: I really like it!

• Like 5

Another one from my last band shooting.

• Like 4

Wide-open, drone spotted

Video shoot accompanied.

• Like 1

More wide open Summilux 28mm shots to be seen on my website. Specifically in the 'Steel' and 'The Ship' projects (though the latter includes a few other focal lengths)

https://mikehodgson.photography/projects

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, jplomley said:

Too much colour fringing with this lens. I went with the 28 Summicron v2; better edge performance wide open, less contrasty, richer colours with more tonal depth, and the bokeh at f/2 is very smooth. Does not block the viewfinder, is faster to focus and of course easier on the pocket book. Is closer to the 50 Lux Asph than the 28 Lux in rendering, and so the 28 Cron / 50 Lux is a spectacular pair of optics.

The 28 Lux is the lens that really called me into photography.  Cameras make lovely photos, but lenses make you love to make photos.  

I hear the 28/1.4 7artisans is pretty sharp wide open AND very minimal color fringing.  For about 1/8 the price.  I tried the 28/2.8 Elmarit (latest) but I couldn’t live without that crazy mix of shallow DOF and wide perspective.  The Q2 doesn’t get to the land of the 28 Lux either without its extreme distortion correction and mildly soft corners.  

Here’s a little sequence I did between m10-p/28 Lux, Q2, Sony A7r3/Sigma 28/1.4, and a7r3/Zeiss Loxia 25/2.4.  It’s a good comparison of 28’s. The Loxia is like 26-27mm.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1592778/0#14887368

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great for portraiture 

• Like 14

On 7/24/2019 at 3:54 PM, ianman said:

I have never had any interest in this lens and from what I've seen so far that's not going to change. With the exception of one or two photos here I find the bokeh to be at best very distracting.

To each eye its own, I suppose. 

In a few of the photos, I find the bokeh to be jarring; it seems to depend on whether the background is high contrast and what elements are in the background of the image.  In most of the images, I find the bokeh to be agreeable, though, particularly the images where the background has more even illumination or is a bit on the low contrast side.

...I am deeply in love with the lens. I do not need an aperture ring, could leave that to 1.4 all the time...

I can see where BJohn is coming from on this - I have the same reaction to my f/1.0 Noctilux.  In some of the images posted here, I get a whiff of a similar bokeh.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2