Female Emperor Dragonfly Ovipositing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Female Emperor Dragonfly ovipositing in the 'Cabin Pond' at Swaddywell Nature Reserve near Peterborough UK  July 19 2019 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

cont'd … 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 15

cont'd … 

• Like 8

cont'd … 

• Like 8

… and the apparatus 

Novoflex 'Noflexar T '400mm / Novoflex 'squeeze trigger' follow focus mount/ Leica R bellows / Leitz R  2x APO extender / Leica SL 601.   Rough focus via squeeze trigger and fine focus via R bellows.   Noflexar T 400mm is a 3 element achromat  … as distinct from the Novoflex 400mm, 600mm and 64cm 'doublet' achromats.

Set aperture f5.6 … Effective aperture f14 allowing for approx 0.3 magnification and 2x extender. Unfortunately the Allen key to secure the pistol grip to the Arca plate (for the gimbal saddle) was left at home … so could not secure the plate properly … thus apparatus more 'handheld' .  Dull overcast weather thus ISO 1600  1/250  second.  Images are not cropped … subject distance approx 4m from image plane . Apparatus is capable of 1:1 and greater magnification at shorter subject distances with extended bellows. 

dunk 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, North / Northwest said:

I think it's great you included an image and description of the gear used.

All of the images are outstanding.

Thanks … some more from same session 

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 5

Best wishes

dunk 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Nice images, seemed a little Rube Goldberged at first but the results are impressive, especially with not being able to secure the beast. 

Tom

Appears long and cumbersome because it's not a telephoto design … if it was a telephoto lens it would be much shorter . As it is, it's a cost effective solution for a budget price 400mm lens which can easily be adapted to any mirrorless camera … and used with a high quality 2x APO extender 

dunk

1 hour ago, jankap said:

Excellent series. The DOF is startling large, due to the 4 meter distance, I think.

Thank you Jan … DOF does appear large especially considering it's full frame. The actual maximum  magnification in e.g. the first photo is 0.34 … i.e. 106mm wingspan on 36mm of the diagonal i.e. not quite covering the full 43mm diagonal . Thus magnification is 36/106 = 0.34 x  . Magnification in other images where the dragonfly appears smaller is less … so DOF will be greater in the other images and subject distance will be larger. 

I'm very happy with Novoflex lenses … good cost effective solution when used as macro lenses with bellows and extenders. But not many photographers appreciate 'old fashioned' Novoflex lenses  … most photographers assume that macro imaging requires expensive macro lenses and close focus telephoto zooms … or fast aperture telephoto primes with auto extension tubes … they read too many reviews and adverts and are unaware of the strengths of Novoflex solutions.  Furthermore, 2 element and 3 element Novoflex achromats have fewer aberrations than telephoto lenses. 

Another apparatus photo showing the Eckla trolley seat … which contributes to the 'ergonomics' i.e. enabling comfortable low down seated camera position next to the pond. Jan, this is the same trolley used at Lincoln to carry the Telyt 800/6.3 apparatus. 

/Users/duncankirkwood/Desktop/Swaddy July 18 /Swaddy July 18 RSLF /Revised-Novoflex-apparatus_2-LF.jpg
  • Like 2

You document your work very well!

I see, that you use the center column of the tripod. The pictures are wonderful. One should not write this here, but I still have and use my old equipment also.

Edited by jankap
  • Thanks 1